Clubs significance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSUkid

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
What is the point in joining clubs, organizations? How does it fit into the application?

I am a member of quite a few clubs that I have an interest in, but just a member, I like to have a broad knowledge of things. Will being just a member suffice?

Also when submitting medical school application, where do we list what clubs we are in? Or is that only in the resume?

Members don't see this ad.

Join clubs because you're actually interested, not because you can put it on AMCAS.

It sounds cliched but it's seriously true.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Simply being a member of a club doesn't mean much. It's more significant if you are a leader of some kind in a club, especially if you lead over a period of time and actually accomplish something there.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello
What is the point in joining clubs, organizations?

For personal leisure.

How does it fit into the application?

Demonstrates that you have interests outside of medicine.

I am a member of quite a few clubs that I have an interest in, but just a member, I like to have a broad knowledge of things. Will being just a member suffice?

That's fine. Clubs are not a selling point of an application, and are really just filler (in my opinion). Although, it is good to know that someone is social.

Also when submitting medical school application, where do we list what clubs we are in?

Activities.

Hey thanks man, very helpful!

Contrary to what many people on SDN say, my club involvement was actually one of my most meaningful experiences. Naturally it depends on the type of club and level of your involvement.

Clubs are sometimes a way to show leadership and you can't be a leader without first being a lowly member. If you find it worth your time, go for it. If it is fun, all the better. Club membership and club leadership can be listed in the "experience" section of the AMCAS. You can list up to 15 experiences in that section and you can designate up to 3 of those as "most meaningful".