Clueless on how to sell myself!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreVet_ISU

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for opinions on how to go about my personal statement and overall interview/interest conversations. . .
I am a single mom and have worked in the restaurant industry for 10+ years. I'm curious whether building on being a "non-traditional, single working mother, first in the family to go to college" route is too clique? Do you think they read statements like that all the time? Do you think that makes me seem like I wouldn't have enough time to devote to vet school? I am really horrible at writing or talking about myself. I can never judge if it sounds like I'm bragging or if it even applies to what they are looking for. Help?!

Members don't see this ad.

I am looking for opinions on how to go about my personal statement and overall interview/interest conversations. . .
I am a single mom and have worked in the restaurant industry for 10+ years. I'm curious whether building on being a "non-traditional, single working mother, first in the family to go to college" route is too clique? Do you think they read statements like that all the time? Do you think that makes me seem like I wouldn't have enough time to devote to vet school? I am really horrible at writing or talking about myself. I can never judge if it sounds like I'm bragging or if it even applies to what they are looking for. Help?!

When are you planning on applying? Because you're either *really* on top of things, or running a touch behind....

Reactions: 1 users
There are plenty of other non-traditional applicants who have similar life experiences, but that doesn't make your experiences invalid or cliche. I would encourage you to frame your PS around why vet med, and why you would make a good candidate for vet school and the profession, though, and not just all of the things you have overcome on your road to applying.

As for talking about yourself...it's tough for a lot of people. The thing is, you will be competing against people who aren't afraid to toot their own horn. If you really want to present a strong application, find a way to get over your hesitance to discuss your qualifications.

Good luck :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are plenty of other non-traditional applicants who have similar life experiences, but that doesn't make your experiences invalid or cliche. I would encourage you to frame your PS around why vet med, and why you would make a good candidate for vet school and the profession, though, and not just all of the things you have overcome on your road to applying.

As for talking about yourself...it's tough for a lot of people. The thing is, you will be competing against people who aren't afraid to toot their own horn. If you really want to present a strong application, find a way to get over your hesitance to discuss your qualifications.

Good luck :)

That is such a good point, I never thought about how competitive the other PS would be. Hopefully I can practice a way to effectively express my experience without coming off as arrogant. I guess this would be the appropriate time though!

Reactions: 1 user
As TRH stated, quite a few people have a hard time discussing themselves. I have the same problem. Stick around here for a bit though and when it gets closer to application time a thread will come up for "personal statement readers". In that thread, there will be numerous people that add their name to agree to read and review personal statements. These are most often current veterinary students and vets on the forum. So you will have the ability to send your PS to anyone you feel comfortable sending it to on that list. They will review it and send you their thoughts back. You don't have to take all the feedback that you receive but it is a good way to get some feedback on your PS from people who have gone through the application process before.

That is such a good point, I never thought about how competitive the other PS would be. Hopefully I can practice a way to effectively express my experience without coming off as arrogant. I guess this would be the appropriate time though!
When you do get around to writing your PS, there are some members on SDN who would be more than happy to critique.

It was super hard for me to blow the LIS horn when I wrote my app. I came out of 15 years working on, and eventually leading, a team in the telecom industry, and my entire style was built around team success, not individual success. So it was a real PITA to try and talk about what a swell guy I am and why I'd be a great candidate.

My advice is twofold: Find someone who can look at your background and your strengths and frame them in positive-sounding statements. That will give you some idea of how to frame the positives. Then, just sit down and write some positive and honest things about you. Try writing "I excel at ....." Don't worry about making it into a cohesive statement/story at first. Just start getting down on paper your strengths, your goals, etc.

Once you get going it will get easier.

And since the app cycle just closed, you have 11 months to work on it. :)

Did anyone suggest a low-cut shirt, short skirt, high heels, and a busy street corner? ;)
I'd be lying if I said that didn't cross my mind, but I wasn't going to be the one to say it :p

I hear having hair can help filter more...

patrick_stewart_as_captain_picard.jpg

94405-damn-girl-gif-5wjt.gif

Did anyone suggest a low-cut shirt, short skirt, high heels, and a busy street corner? ;)
That went completely over my head at first... I was like EXCUSE ME?! :nono: But how to sell MYSELF, got it. :laugh:

To get back to the OP's questions....

talking about your non-traditional experiences is perfectly acceptable, but you have to remember what the goal of the PS is.... it is to demonstrate why you are going to be a worthwhile candidate to add to the school. Don't let the focus be so much on your career that you lose sight of selling yourself as a vet, and your ability to succeed in vet school. Demonstrate that you have what it takes to survive the grueling process, to work long hours, stay dedicated to a goal through hard times, learn and memorize gobs of meaningless data, have passion to be a success... blah blah blah.

It might sound trite, but that is what they have to hear, and especially from a non-traditional applicant you have to show you are well aware of the challenges of being a vet student (and a vet), and can overcome them, and will be a credit to the school/industry.

Somewhere in there you will have to explain where this passion comes from, and why now, and that this isn't some passing fancy.

<from a former hardened non-traditional applicant :-> >