CME for Recent Grad (not yet board certified)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angry Birds

Angry Troll
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I graduated from EM residency last year. I won't be taking the EM boards until at least 2-3 years from now. I have a few questions:

1) Just to be sure, I might as well ask: I have five years to take the EM boards, correct?

2) In the interim period, do I need to document CME? Or does that only need to be done after getting board certified?

3) Is #2 affected by the fact that I am in a fellowship (although it's not directly EM related)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are in an accredited fellowship then you don't need CME. CME is generally required to keep your state license(s) and hospital privileges. If you don't have either of those, it won't matter.

This is on a state by state basis. Check your state licensing board. In my state, you don't need CME during fellowship years, or years you take an ABMS board exam (primary specialty or Subspecialty). Other years, cme requirements apply as per state requirement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your replies! I guess I should call and check with the board to see if my fellowship will waive the CME requirement.

DeadCactus - Only reason is that I don't have time due to the multiple commitments I have right now, which will clear up in a year.