CME from Residency or Fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolfvgang22

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding an answer to a question and I thought I'd ask you folks before I call the APA or ABPN.
I completed child fellowship in July. Does just being in fellowship or residency training within the last year count for a certain amount of CME hours?
I did a search and couldn't find the answer.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm having trouble finding an answer to a question and I thought I'd ask you folks before I call the APA or ABPN.
I completed child fellowship in July. Does just being in fellowship or residency training within the last year count for a certain amount of CME hours?
I did a search and couldn't find the answer.

Fellowship counts toward a ton of CME. You're good until 2015.

Some states have specific topics that must be CME covered. Training covers CME generically, but there may be specific things that are needed. Check with your State's medical board. The license renewal form usually has some bold type about this where you confirm you have CMEs.

Members don't see this ad :)
You get the max each year of residency and afterwards have a year off cause of half year accumulation

So fellowship as the short road to cmes was a waste of time

Anyone know an easy to follow process for MOC as it appears the requirements will double towards CME for state boards?
I was wondering the same thing. Since I did Beat the Boards they keep sending me ads for doing a 4 day conference, get all my CME's, and walking me through the MOC process. I bet it's good since their board prep was excellent, but I haven't decided it's worth the nearly $1,000 they are charging. Heck, I haven't decided if I'm going to the APA in Toronto yet.

Reactions: 1 user
I was wondering the same thing. Since I did Beat the Boards they keep sending me ads for doing a 4 day conference, get all my CME's, and walking me through the MOC process. I bet it's good since their board prep was excellent, but I haven't decided it's worth the nearly $1,000 they are charging. Heck, I haven't decided if I'm going to the APA in Toronto yet.

I'll be doing the sleep boards next this fall, so my CME time will be used in going to a board prep course for this next evolution.

Overall, I'm trying to make sense of what the MOC requirements are and how to sort it out into easy to understand language. Right now it's complete gibberish as it is not intuitively easy to follow.

There is a page on the site somewhere that shows what is required by years out of residency- you don't need much at all.

I didn't think it was that complicated...basically every three years they're looking for 90 Category 1 CME credits, of which 24 should be "self-assessment" type--so 30 credits a year, which is probably pretty close to what your state requires--and you do 1 PIP in each clinical improvement and patient/peer feedback.
http://www.abpn.com/moc_cpmoc.html