CME Moola To Spend...Decisions, Decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdlev

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Looking for ideas on where to spend my remaining CME money before the year is over. Have about $4k...already have an imac, iphones, ipads, etc, so don't really need anything electronic. Prefer something that comes with a nice gift card or something like that so maybe I could give it away or spend it on others for Christmas. Not interested in trips either.

Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

I was going to say "Strippers and bourbon" but we're not ortho surgery -- check the aafp website -- there's a lot of on-line stuff or travel to sites that are fun -- you can also do a wilderness medicine gig if you're into that sort of thing - or, if you're really ambitious, do a tactical medicine CME -- there's one by the guy who teaches the state department docs and various military units -- last exercise starts at 0200 by shooting a pig and you get to keep the beast alive with skills you've learned --

for the more sedate, Core Content review is cool also;

Steth
Medical apps: medscape full version, johns hopkins antibiotics guide
good pen light

Members don't see this ad :)
Books - Sometimes you can get an amazon gift card if you order enough
Multi-year journal subscriptions/Apps - Same, NEJM is notorious for this
Extra certifications - DOT physicals, for example, can be lucrative but getting certified is several hundred dollars
Tools - no reason not to buy an electronic stethescope or two, maybe a nice doctors bag

I personally love audio digest. If you have to pay yourself then you can call a rep with the organization and get the cost of their kickback gift card taken off of your fee. If you are looking to get amazon/best buy/apple giftcard, then you can get up to $2500 if you spend all $5k that you have in CME. I have found their podcast style lectures to be unmatched by anything else I have tried otherwise and the CME tracking is very user friendly. They have their own app and you can get the lectures to download directly to your iphone or any podcast provider.