CME requirements for full medical license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SonicHedgehog

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an unrestricted medical license I obtained in residency, and it is still good for a little over a year. I'm in a fellowship right now (ends in June) and the fellowship doesn't grant a formal #of CME credits. The medical board that issues my license says that housestaff training can count toward this requirement, but they say I'd need documentation of a certain # of credits from my program. (And by "they", it might very well have been an administrative asst rather than someone with influence on the requirements.)

Anyone else run into this problem and know how to solve it? I'd hate to graduate from fellowship and then have to get all those CME credits in the span of a year after having been in full-time GME training.

Members don't see this ad.

Totally state dependent. Mine just requires a letter from your PD saying you're a full-time trainee to get over the CME hurdle. Best thing to do would be to talk to your program's PC...I'm sure you're not the first one to come across this issue.

Reactions: 1 user
I have an unrestricted medical license I obtained in residency, and it is still good for a little over a year. I'm in a fellowship right now (ends in June) and the fellowship doesn't grant a formal #of CME credits. The medical board that issues my license says that housestaff training can count toward this requirement, but they say I'd need documentation of a certain # of credits from my program. (And by "they", it might very well have been an administrative asst rather than someone with influence on the requirements.)

Anyone else run into this problem and know how to solve it? I'd hate to graduate from fellowship and then have to get all those CME credits in the span of a year after having been in full-time GME training.

I had a former resident need this information for licensure in a different state. I counted the number of Grand Rounds she had attended in the last 2 yrs of residency (that's the only conference that almost always provided CME credit) and wrote a letter to her state's Board indicating that number of CMEs. I know it didn't capture everything but it was close enough and gave her the credit she needed to get her license.

Reactions: 1 user