CMS said no to provider status for pharmacists. For now.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

konkan

coup de grace
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
CMS response misses point of provider status

January 28, 2014
When I and nearly 40,000 Americans petitioned the White House to “recognize pharmacists as health care providers” in December 2012, we were asking for a change in “the compensation structure allowed under Medicare” so that patients would “have access to the medication expertise of pharmacists.” The response we received a few days ago to the petition from Jonathan Blum of CMS fails to address this deficiency or to indicate a willingness by CMS in writing to work with us to address the issues preventing pharmacist recognition and reasonable inclusion in care delivery models. His examples for pharmacist inclusion are limiting and miss the benefits patients receive from pharmacists’ broader patient care services. Instead, Blum restates the status quo, which we all know too well: pharmacists are the only major group of health professionals omitted as providers under the Social Security Act.

I could go on and on about this topic, but one of our members has already done so very eloquently. We’re sharing below the remarks sent by Sarah McBane of San Diego to CMS. Does this resonate with you?

Add your voice to the provider status effort! You can comment here on the blog, or access the response to the petition and click on “Tell us what you think about this response and We the People.” Together, we can do this!

Text of McBane’s letter to CMS regarding the White House petition response:

Dear Mr. Blum,

Thank you for responding to the petition regarding pharmacists and the Social Security Act. I appreciate the time taken to evaluate the petition and provide a response.

Unfortunately, the response did [not] seem to reflect any consideration of the request stated within the original petition, which was to recognize pharmacists as providers under the Social Security Act. Those of us on the frontlines of pharmacy practice know how much more pharmacists could be doing to make our health care system a better one, if only we [had] a business model and reimbursement mechanism that would facilitate this.

Instead of recognizing the possibilities inherent in the promise of pharmacists, your response reiterates the current situation, listing the health care practitioners that are recognized as providers and describing situations where pharmacists might receive reimbursement from CMS via incident-to billing or Medicare Part D. These statements lead me to believe that you did not hear and understand the essence of the petition.

Pharmacists deserve recognition as providers, not for billing and reimbursement purposes, but for our contributions to patient care. These contributions have been outlined in "Improving Patient and Health System Outcomes Through Advanced Pharmacy Practice: A Report to the U. S. Surgeon General 2011," a document that summarizes the impact pharmacists have on health care outcomes as well as cost. The report contains numerous examples of what pharmacists can do to improve care, including improving blood pressure readings, blood sugar readings for people with diabetes, and reducing the number of unscheduled health care visits. The unscheduled visits would include care delivered in the emergency department, which is very expensive and rarely effective for care of chronic conditions such as diabetes.

Pharmacists, with our extensive knowledge of medications, are essential contributors to patient care. Medications are involved in 80% of all disease treatments. Pharmacists are the only professionals whose training focuses on the safe and effective use of medications. All students who graduate from current pharmacy programs receive a doctoral degree, and many go on to complete postgraduate training in the form of a residency (similar to medical graduates). Your response to the petition lists other health care professions that are recognized as health care providers under the Social Security Act. Many of those health care professionals receive fewer hours of education and training than pharmacists, yet they are still recognized as providers. Pharmacists’ education and impact on patient care are equally valuable.

Other federal systems have recognized pharmacists as providers for decades. Veterans Affairs (VA) and the Indian Health Service (IHS) consider pharmacists as providers. Why should Medicare be any different? The population receiving care under Medicare deserves the same benefit from pharmacist-provided care as patients in the VA and IHS. Individual states—California being a notable example—have extended provider recognition to pharmacists. Individuals receiving care throughout the rest of the United States deserve access to the same care as Californians.

We pharmacists will know we have truly achieved the purposes behind the provider-status movement when pharmacists are recognized and paid for providing patient care services targeted at improved medication use and when CMS makes public policy and guidance statements that facilitate the inclusion of pharmacists within integrated care delivery models. I for one hope that you can revisit your response to the petition with these objectives in mind. In summary, I sincerely appreciate the fact that you responded to the thousands of pharmacists who signed the petition, but I feel as if you missed the point. Recognition under the Social Security Act under Title 18, Part E, Section 1861 is not simply about compensation. It is about professional recognition and quality of care. Pharmacists are integral members of the patient care team and medical home, and deserve the same recognition on a federal level as our colleagues.

Sarah McBane, PharmD, CDE, BCPS, FCCP

San Diego

Thomas E. Menighan, BSPharm, MBA, ScD (Hon), FAPhA
APhA Executive Vice President and CEO

Members don't see this ad.

I am curious to why should we care about getting provider status? MTM is not a huge thing in most pharmacies and I don't know anybody who wants to do it.

Lets all be honest here because if we want to fix something, we have to recognize the problem. APhA should focus its effort on other things like new schools popping out... than on ******ed **** like this.

Reactions: 1 user
Continuing with a thought... we already get irked that patients end up on duplicate therapies due to multiple MDs being involved in the patient's healthcare mix... if we add pharmacists, too, and give them abilities to alter medication without an overhead authority, we are adding yet more "cooks to the kitchen" if you will... I am aware that pharmacists are taught documentation, documentation, documentation, and to alert physicians with their recommendations (thus would turn into alerting with alterations)... but are pharmacists pushing too hard for too much? In the eyes of a less informed FP MD, how would you feel if you feel you just got someone's glucose control regimen to a point where the patient who you've seen for 20 years now is now able to be optimally content with giving themselves pills/injections, and you get a fax stating that the pharmacist next door checked the pt's glucose and made a change to that regimen.

Just another perspective, as others above mentioned. If this is something pharmacists really want, they'll keep their head down and keep pushing forward. We tend to be type-A, planning, get what we want people. Patience will definitely continue to be tried throughout this as the landscape continues to change.

This is why CMS, and the doctors who make it up, will never take pharmacists seriously. The first sentence pretty much says that doctors are not trained on the safe and effective use of medications, which is blatantly false.

I think the intention was to emphasize the word "focus", stating that the pharmacists' key educational cornerstone is medications, whereas a physician's is diagnosing. Your retaliation is that surgeons are trained for 5 years vs a pharmacist's 1... they are trained for 5 years because they need to learn surgical techniques, not medication use. Pharmacists don't need to learn surgical techniques... thus only 1-2 years training.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This is why CMS, and the doctors who make it up, will never take pharmacists seriously. The first sentence pretty much says that doctors are not trained on the safe and effective use of medications, which is blatantly false. It's one thing for a naive pharmacy student to believe this, it's another for the CEO of APhA to peddle this crap. It's like the president of the AMA saying doctors are the only people who take care of patients. The second statement is a joke. There is absolutely no way that the 5-year residency of a general surgery resident who works 80+ hour weeks for those five years is in any way comparable to the one-year "clinical pharmacy" rotation that a pharmacist does working a 9-5 job. To imply so is, again, like the president of the AMA saying that medical residency is similar to astronaut training.
Now, make the comparison using the "provider" with the least training instead of the most...

I am curious to why should we care about getting provider status? MTM is not a huge thing in most pharmacies and I don't know anybody who wants to do it.

Lets all be honest here because if we want to fix something, we have to recognize the problem. APhA should focus its effort on other things like new schools popping out... than on ******ed **** like this.
I agree, for the majority of pharmacists working in the retail fishbowl, this is not meaningful. But for those of us in provider roles with healthsystems and clinics, this is a big deal. It would allow us to bring more than soft cost savings.
In my position, I see patients the majority of the day as a provider and the rest of my time is drug info and policy development.
I am able to bill and generate revenue for 1 health plan in my area at a good rate but unable to for the rest. It will be a positive shift for the profession to be recognized.

I agree with you though, there are many other pressing issues to address but this is important as well. Advancing the recognition for our clinical/cognitive services is important. While advancing the role of technicians and automation, we do not need a pharmacist counting pills, calling insurance, typing scripts...what a waste of time and education.

I agree, for the majority of pharmacists working in the retail fishbowl, this is not meaningful. But for those of us in provider roles with healthsystems and clinics, this is a big deal. It would allow us to bring more than soft cost savings.
In my position, I see patients the majority of the day as a provider and the rest of my time is drug info and policy development.
I am able to bill and generate revenue for 1 health plan in my area at a good rate but unable to for the rest. It will be a positive shift for the profession to be recognized.

I agree with you though, there are many other pressing issues to address but this is important as well. Advancing the recognition for our clinical/cognitive services is important. While advancing the role of technicians and automation, we do not need a pharmacist counting pills, calling insurance, typing scripts...what a waste of time and education.

I respect what you do and understand why it is important.

I understand that it is a positive shift for this profession... (since there are no cons).

However, if you don't mind me asking, what is the going rate for MTM. Is it really viable in the pharmacy model? Profitable?

Does MTM truly impact patient's life? create cost saving solutions? Are think there are more effective ways in doing those solutions?

the above poster is obviously a troll... ignore.

Reactions: 2 users
It's easy to play doctor when you have a real physician who has to approve your orders and make sure you're not giving the patient medication that can kill them because of a medical/surgical history unknown to you. It's another to make these decisions on your own. I have no problems with NPs, PAs, and other midlevels who have had the right amount of training helping extend the reach of physicians. However, just because you're tired of "counting pills" doesn't mean that your education has prepared you for the big leagues.

And all the NPs and PAs who practice completely autonomously with no physician to rein them in?

Oh please. Btw, how disappointed were your Asian parents when they found out you couldn't get into med school?

I'm fine with NPs and PAs working autonomously, they deserve it, they've worked hard to get to that point as opposed to the pharmacists who go "lol I have the letters md in my degree name therefore I should have the same rights as an MD".

Apparently we should live our lives according to our parents' wishes.

And all the NPs and PAs who practice completely autonomously with no physician to rein them in?

What state is this? I can't authorize a script from an NP or PA without knowing who the supervising physician is.

What state is this? I can't authorize a script from an NP or PA without knowing who the supervising physician is.
Nurse Practitioner Prescribing Authority and Physician Supervision Requirements for Diagnosis and Treatment
LocationRequirement for physician involvement in diagnosing and treating?
United States24 Yes
AlabamaYes
AlaskaNo
ArizonaNo
ArkansasNo1
CaliforniaYes
ColoradoNo
ConnecticutYes2
DelawareYes
District of ColumbiaNo
FloridaYes
GeorgiaYes
HawaiiNo
IdahoNo
IllinoisYes
IndianaYes2
IowaNo3
KansasYes
KentuckyNo
LouisianaYes
MaineNo4
MarylandNo5
MassachusettsNo
MichiganNo6
MinnesotaYes2
MississippiYes
MissouriYes
MontanaNo
NebraskaYes
NevadaYes
New HampshireNo
New JerseyNo
New MexicoNo
New YorkYes
North CarolinaYes
North DakotaNo
OhioYes
OklahomaNo
OregonNo
PennsylvaniaYes2
Rhode IslandNo
South CarolinaYes
South DakotaYes
TennesseeNo
TexasYes
UtahNo
VermontNo
VirginiaYes
WashingtonNo
West VirginiaNo
WisconsinYes
WyomingNo

Members don't see this ad :)
Lack of physician involvement in NP practice scares the crap out of me.

Reactions: 1 users
I do think that eventually pharmacists will receive provider status under Medicare. California recently passed it and a few other states are looking into it or having bills proposed with others already having it with some progressive practice models. Truthfully it's long overdue.

NO. Pharmacists should not get this status.

I think pharmacists absolutely should have this status, there is no logical reason why they shouldn't. But realistically, I don't see that having the status will produce much of a change.

I did not read the actual report but this was a very weak argument. Hopefully the report contained more examples than pharmacists improving blood pressure and glucose readings since there are so many more ways we can get involved to improve health and reduce the number of ED visits. It seems like very little time was spent composing this letter.

The report contains numerous examples of what pharmacists can do to improve care, including improving blood pressure readings, blood sugar readings for people with diabetes, and reducing the number of unscheduled health care visits. The unscheduled visits would include care delivered in the emergency department, which is very expensive and rarely effective for care of chronic conditions such as diabetes.

troll+7.jpg

I did not read the actual report but this was a very weak argument. Hopefully the report contained more examples than pharmacists improving blood pressure and glucose readings since there are so many more ways we can get involved to improve health and reduce the number of ED visits. It seems like very little time was spent composing this letter.

Certainly there are more ways than this that pharmacists can improve patient health, but I think when you're trying to justify why you should be paid (because that's the real argument), it makes sense to target the largest population groups out there and provide evidence that you can improve either outcomes or disease markers.