co-prescribing naloxone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metadr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How often is everyone co-prescribing naloxone with chronic opioid therapy? Any particular criteria used?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It is more likely the efficacy of the naloxone remains unchanged through time, in other words, it doesn't expire.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The problem is there is an expiration date on the box.

It is "OTC" in New York. Go to your neighborhood CVS or, better yet, Wegmans and ask the pharmacist.

FYI Wegmans just voted best grocery store, topping Trader Joes.

Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This is good. But, I'd still put in my note that I recommend it and
have them bring it and a loved one in the household in to train.

I have special handouts on how to take tylenol, zyrtec, and nexium otc. I bring in the whole family and we make smores and discuss how to best tie your shoes as well.

But if its otc, you can template your notes recommending naloxone pen.

You like to pontificate about your injection technique. But when it comes to opioid prescribing or harm reduction
it's ok to be flippant and cavalier. You might give that some thought.

You like to pontificate about your injection technique. But when it comes to opioid prescribing or harm reduction
it's ok to be flippant and cavalier. You might give that some thought.
Poking fun at you for making sure to train family on otc products. I am not responsible for the failure of others. If i rx to the wrong patients at the wrong time i may have a price to pay. But if its otc or not my doing, it isnt my problem or responsibility.

I've said it before.

If you think you need to prescribe naloxone to a patient, then you have to really question two things.

1-should this patient even be prescribed opioids? It's not oxygen, it's not protected by the constitution. Not everyone deserves or can be trusted with these drugs.
2-why are you prescribing opioid doses that make you worry the patient will need narcan?

Read the prescription epidemic thread. In 2012 many of the locals were in denial. Naloxone is a wake up call.

I do, we do, and we give them the 1 page summary form from the above website.

Easy peasy...

Bedrock, even patients on butrans gets this info. And most times, I am handbag out this info on new consults I will never see again, cause they are not interested in life without opioids.

Ironically, I guess, I'm recommending a drug that allows them to continue a life - maybe with opioids if they survive...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile