Coagulation cascade, mistake in Robbins?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Daddy Robbins (new) pg. 118-119 says "The binding of coagulation factors II, XII, IX, and X to calcium depends on the addition of gamma carboxyl groups to certain glutamic acid residues on these proteins. This reaction uses Vitamin K as a cofactor and is antagonized by drugs such as coumadin.."

My notes from class and Goljan (new) say its factors II, VII, IX and X that undergo Vit K dependent gamma carboxylation (which I assumed then allows them to bind calcium). So the odd one out in Robbins is factor XII. Can anyone elaborate on this? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Daddy Robbins (new) pg. 118-119 says "The binding of coagulation factors II, XII, IX, and X to calcium depends on the addition of gamma carboxyl groups to certain glutamic acid residues on these proteins. This reaction uses Vitamin K as a cofactor and is antagonized by drugs such as coumadin.."

My notes from class and Goljan (new) say its factors II, VII, IX and X that undergo Vit K dependent gamma carboxylation (which I assumed then allows them to bind calcium). So the odd one out in Robbins is factor XII. Can anyone elaborate on this? Thanks in advance.

Yeah I think they replaced a V with an X. It's 2,7,9,10,Protein C/S.

It also wouldn't make sense to list XII before IX and X. It is very safe to assume that is a typo, and it should be VII.