coccydynia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axm397

SDN Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So now, they won't cover impar blocks or sacrococcygeal ligament injections. What is left? How do you guys manage coccydynia and what procedure codes do you use?

Per humana:
"
Humana’s medical policy effective 01/01/16 state the following are all considered E&I. I would anticipate other carriers publishing similar policies if they have not already.

· Cluneal nerve block

· Ganglion Impar block

· Genicular nerve block

· Iliotibial band injection

· Obturator nerve block

· Pedicle screw block/hardwareblock of instrumentation used in spinal fusions

· Repetitive peripheral nerve blocks for chronic nonmalignant pain

· Sacrococcygeal junction/Sacrococcygeal ligament injection (for any indications, including coccydynia)

· Transversus abdominis plan (TA) block

These technologies are considered experimental/investigational as they are not identified as widely used and generally accepted for the proposed uses are reported in Nationally recognized peer-reviewed medical literature published in the English language."

Members don't see this ad.

#1 Sitting doughnut: A bunch available on Amazon.

#2 Pelvic floor PT if available in your area.

#3 Behavioral therapies.

Members don't see this ad :)
isn't billing impar as LS sympathetic block more descriptive?

Wow. Our field becomes less intersting to practice all the time. It is amazing the number of treatments i no longer offer patients.

Probably only get 5 coccydinia patients a year. They are absolutely miserable and do great with a block. I generally do not offer cash pay but will for them.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't get the logic that if a procedure is not widely used, it should not be covered. Even from a financial perspective. Maybe it's more like the procedure not being covered won't piss off enough people.

I don't get the logic that if a procedure is not widely used, it should not be covered. Even from a financial perspective. Maybe it's more like the procedure not being covered won't piss off enough people.

That's it right there. Not enough of a critical mass of coccydynia pts to force change.

I just offer these things cash pay. If it hurts enough they will pay for it. With current deductibles that's not very different anyway.

Last edited: