Code Black

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The TV show is absolutely f*cking horrible.
Couldn't agree more. Gave it a shot and quickly regretted it...story lines like an EM intern going to a patient's house because she missed a diagnosis and ending up doing a crash c-section in the ambulance on the freeway just weren't doing it for me. Of course the mother and baby survived it. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by these types of things, though...
Thanks guys, I'll give it a pass then. I'll stick to the documentary instead. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just wait until the second episode. I figured that maybe after the pilot, they would tone back the bursting like a rectal abscess with cliche, over the top, manufactured drama even just a little bit. I was very, very wrong. I will not be watching the third, my head might explode.

Reactions: 1 users
Just wait until the second episode. I figured that maybe after the pilot, they would tone back the bursting like a rectal abscess with cliche, over the top, manufactured drama even just a little bit. I was very, very wrong. I will not be watching the third, my head might explode.

Yeah, someone was telling me in that episode there was an ovarian torsion, but all the surgeons were booked, so the ER doctor went ahead an boarded the case and went up and did it himself. That's only happened to me like twice total where I've had to go do the operation myself, so what are the odds they'd put it on that show, amiright?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, someone was telling me in that episode there was an ovarian torsion, but all the surgeons were booked, so the ER doctor went ahead an boarded the case and went up and did it himself. That's only happened to me like twice total where I've had to go do the operation myself, so what are the odds they'd put it on that show, amiright?
Jeez. They could have at least made it a testicular torsion and had the er do a manual detorsion under sedation/anesthesia to keep things within the realm of possibility.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm calling it right now.

Episode #3 -

Crash whipple in the ED waiting room.

Reactions: 4 users
I had a few family and friends urge me to watch the show and let them know what I thought of it. It was truly awful. Still I heard next week they have a pretty riveting episode where one of the interns works up a pretty serious gastroenteritis. "Your labs are normal, your belly is soft, but (play dramatic music) you probably have a virus!"

Reactions: 3 users
"Here's an idea that I'd like to pitch to the networks. It's a show about the fast-paced world of nursing homes, and it's called Code Brown. For those of you who don't know, a Code Brown is called whenever a patient poops so much that it takes four people to clean up."
don't forget the facebook app gomerville (farmville)

Oh my god:

"Did I mention that Dr. Rorish was doing a burr hole on a patient with an epidural hematoma while all this was going on? This scenario was plausible since it can often be difficult to get a neurosurgeon to come to the hospital."

it's definitely plausible. the only story i've heard of is from rural areas of canada where transport in winter won't happen and during wartime over in the sandbox. there was an episode of life and death in the ER? many years back
but there's a paper on it. it's from sweden, you can do it but the author says "avoid inappropriate intervention"
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3352313/

otherwise, terrible acting, terrible story lines. maybe the residents need to start sleeping around to make it more realistic

How about that young resident who beat lymphoma as a kid? They only showed a portion of his CXR but those were some large masses. That's golden PS material right there.

it's definitely plausible. the only story i've heard of is from rural areas of canada where transport in winter won't happen and during wartime over in the sandbox. there was an episode of life and death in the ER? many years back
but there's a paper on it. it's from sweden, you can do it but the author says "avoid inappropriate intervention"

I've seen it once in an urban trauma center. Radiology resident had missed a bleed and the guy was herniating just as the rads attending called with the overread. The ED attending (sandbox experienced) borrowed a drill from ortho and did it himself, relieved the pressure, and shipped the guy across town to neurosurgery. Worked out okay. There was some political drama but he did what needed to be done and there were no complications resulting from the intervention.

I've seen it once in an urban trauma center. Radiology resident had missed a bleed and the guy was herniating just as the rads attending called with the overread. The ED attending (sandbox experienced) borrowed a drill from ortho and did it himself, relieved the pressure, and shipped the guy across town to neurosurgery. Worked out okay. There was some political drama but he did what needed to be done and there were no complications resulting from the intervention.

I assisted on a bedside ventriculostomy once. It was a pregnant woman sent down to ED from L&D after she a had a sudden onset HA on the crapper that was ignored until she developed symptoms from hydrocephalus. That being said - it was the Neurosurgery staff that did the procedure and I pretty much stood and gawked. After the drain was placed we flew her to a hospital with IR capabilities.

I know a doc that did it once in a rural setting with his own drill.

... and during wartime over in the sandbox.

That's where I did one.

But to be fair, the neurosurgeon was 2 beds over dealing with someone a bit more salveagable. And I said "hey, while you're doing that, want me to decompress this guy?". The NSG looked over, saw the general condition of the guy in front of me, shrugged, and tossed over a drill.