Colarado School of Dental Medicine Interview calls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats sugu... can u pls tell me wen ur interview is scheduled for?
Its on 5th April.

Members don't see this ad.

I too got a iv call... on 10th may..

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ya sure.. gpa- 3.77, nbde part1 pass, toefl- 105
appearing for part2 next mnth

Hi,

I am looking for a female to share an accommodation for Colorado Interview on April 5th. I got a very nice deal in booking a room with two queen beds. Please email me asap at [email protected].

Thanks!

hey...any female willing to share accommodation for colorado iv on 5ht april? please pm me
Hi,
I am a female dentist from Pennsylvania. I got an interview invitation too. I booked a room with 2 queen beds and the hotel is right across the street from dental school. Are you willing to share a room with me? Please email me at [email protected] for more details.

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
I am a female dentist from Pennsylvania. I got an interview invitation too. I booked a room with 2 queen beds and the hotel is right across the street from dental school. Are you willing to share a room with me? Please email me at [email protected] for more details.

Thanks!

do you know what prep they are asking for bench test?and also what kinda wax exercises

It used to be gold crown and Class 2 amalgam on a molar. Wax exercise is making simple forms on a paper.Watch wax exercise on u-tube

It used to be gold crown and Class 2 amalgam on a molar. Wax exercise is making simple forms on a paper.Watch wax exercise on u-tube
Wax exercises on a paper? Can u pls elaborate

Is there any girl who wants to share accommodation for 10th may iv in colorado? do reply me on [email protected]..

I had heard that there are two wax exercises, firstly to prepare a letter given to us out of a blue wax and secondly preparing dome out of red wax..

how do we prepare dome out of red wax? Is the red wax something like a base plate wax? Do we need to carve the wax or melt the wax? Could anybody please guide? [please don't mind if the question is silly:) ]

Members don't see this ad :)
Follow basic principle of heating instrument, gathering wax and depositing it on a form. After you put plenty of wax, smooth it and remove extra again heating instrument a little bit. Difficulty is in the difference in melting temperature of wax. Red is not so bad - it is the one you put on the edges of the impression tray to elongate it. Blue one is the most difficult, because it was just evaporating and I had to heat instrument just slightly. With the green stick, which is something similar to compound, but most probably some kind of inlay wax, use heated instrument. A lot of people were carving it, do not know how successful, it is very hard and instrument is dull. Hatch carver is similar to plastic instrument

Reactions: 3 users
Guys is the May IVS for colorado over too? is it like they send all the invites on one particular day?

Follow basic principle of heating instrument, gathering wax and depositing it on a form. After you put plenty of wax, smooth it and remove extra again heating instrument a little bit. Difficulty is in the difference in melting temperature of wax. Red is not so bad - it is the one you put on the edges of the impression tray to elongate it. Blue one is the most difficult, because it was just evaporating and I had to heat instrument just slightly. With the green stick, which is something similar to compound, but most probably some kind of inlay wax, use heated instrument. A lot of people were carving it, do not know how successful, it is very hard and instrument is dull. Hatch carver is similar to plastic instrument
Thank u :) so how can we prepare for these exercises? Can we buy the wax and prac at home? Learn how to handle waxes. Also I didn't get the part wer u said wax on paper. Thank u for ur patience and support

They give you a card with shapes outlines. Mine was circle, squire and letter S. There also was a stick shape outline with a void in the middle and shaped tips. You just melt wax into the outline, smooth, carve extra. With a stick again heat instrument and remove extra wax

They give you a card with shapes outlines. Mine was circle, squire and letter S. There also was a stick shape outline with a void in the middle and shaped tips. You just melt wax into the outline, smooth, carve extra. With a stick again heat instrument and remove extra wax
Thank u so much... Ll try and practice how to handle d wax . Ur inputs are of great help :)

The most economical way is a candle and metal plastic instrument

Guys, how Many does CU invites for interview in each batch? Any one who got March completion email got an invite yet? Please shed some light guys.. Also do they give preference to reapplicants??

Got an email for IV for May 10th. :)

Thank u for the reply. It was very helpful. I just have another question. You said that they would give a card which has a shape on it and we need to melt the wax into the shape. So, while practicing at home, do u think I can draw a circle on a normal white paper and melt the wax into it? Does it work like that?

Thank u for the reply. It was very helpful. I just have another question. You said that they would give a card which has a shape on it and we need to melt the wax into the shape. So, while practicing at home, do u think I can draw a circle on a normal white paper and melt the wax into it? Does it work like that?
Yes, circle is about 10mm in diameter. Heat instrument, pick some wax, place it inside the circle. Repeat until circle has about 2mm in the center and 1mm at the edges. Smooth with heated instrument to a rounded form

Hey Dmb28,

When did you received the completion email? And did you got the IV today?

Completion was in August. Then I got their IV email yesterday.

Last edited:
Got an email for IV for May 10th. :)
I received the "recieved application" mail on the 11th of Mar. Any idea till when should I hope for the IV mail? In case that comes. And can you please (if you don't mind) share your stats?

Co

congrats.. When did u get a completion email?

Thanks! So excited. My first iv. I don't know what to expect. I got the completion email in August.

I received the "recieved application" mail on the 11th of Mar. Any idea till when should I hope for the IV mail? In case that comes. And can you please (if you don't mind) share your stats?

I have read somewhere that they usually have 3 batches of interview. One in april, may and june.

I too got a iv call... on 10th may..

Hi drN88,

What are your plans for prep for bench exams? Been looking for courses online. So nervous since this is my first IV

hi,
applied for paper application, got confirmation saying that application is accepted. Any idea till when should I hope for the IV mail?

Hi drN88,

What are your plans for prep for bench exams? Been looking for courses online. So nervous since this is my first IV

Well this is mine first too... if u find any good course online.. do inform me.. and I have a NBDE part 2 on 15th april, will start preparing for IV after that...

I had an interview in Colorado in 2010

Hey could u share some info regarding how the personal interview is? How to prepare for it etc? Also do we have to take our CV with us or any otter document?

No, you do not need any documents. Interviewers are very friendly and it is just like a talk with a friend. Do not forget - they are not your friends, they are looking for a potential no risk student paying the university a buttload of money
Dress well, make sure your suit fits. Do not wear black. It seems everyone is wearing black
They ask about your life up to this point, family, work and study history and experience. Strong and weak points. Why that school. All the usual stuff

Hi oralcare123,

I just wanna ask what type of blue wax and green wax do they use? Is it the inlay wax?

And do you know where can I order Kilgore Typodont? The kilgore website seems to take long before they can process orders.

Thank you so much.

It is an inlay wax. Blue is very difficult to work with, it evaporates easily, so you will have to heat instrument just slightly to grab it on. Green is very brittle, so do not abuse it, use the same principle with heated instrument.
I ordered mine through Kilgore site. The plastic teeth are more difficult to work with, they melt under high speeds and more difficult to drill. On the bench they use the one with soft gingiva, which is easily displaced and you need to watch for the margine placement
Good luck

It is an inlay wax. Blue is very difficult to work with, it evaporates easily, so you will have to heat instrument just slightly to grab it on. Green is very brittle, so do not abuse it, use the same principle with heated instrument.
I ordered mine through Kilgore site. The plastic teeth are more difficult to work with, they melt under high speeds and more difficult to drill. On the bench they use the one with soft gingiva, which is easily displaced and you need to watch for the margine placement
Good luck

Copy that. Thanks again oralcare123. You're such a great help.

It is a shoulder with a bevel
Could you plzz clarify one more thing....this shoulder with bevel is on facial finish line and chamfer on lingual finish line....for molar!!!..am i correct???

Shoulder is usually on a facial side and chamfer is on a lingual. It is because the lingual suppose to be metal, to reduce the amount of reduction of tooth structure. The facial could be just shoulder to accommodate reduction for the porcelain and metal in a butt joint or shoulder with metal if you prepare for the porcelain with a metal collar. Do the bevel if you are really good at it. It is better to have a well prepared simple shoulder, rather then bad shoulder with bevel. Remember to place a crown margin at least 0.5mm above gum line on molars

Shoulder is usually on a facial side and chamfer is on a lingual. It is because the lingual suppose to be metal, to reduce the amount of reduction of tooth structure. The facial could be just shoulder to accommodate reduction for the porcelain and metal in a butt joint or shoulder with metal if you prepare for the porcelain with a metal collar. Do the bevel if you are really good at it. It is better to have a well prepared simple shoulder, rather then bad shoulder with bevel. Remember to place a crown margin at least 0.5mm above gum line on molars
Thanks a lot for the explanation!!!

Hey guys!!! How is everyone preparing for the april 5th interview? I just have a question. In the list of instruments they provided, I see that they are providing only chamfer burs for crown prep. There is no flat end bur for shoulder prep. So, how do we prepare a shoulder finish line if they ask for a PFM crown prep? ( please correct me if I am wrong and if they are providing any shoulder prep burs). Also, do they provide any fine grit diamonds for final finishing?

I do not remember for sure, if they give flat end burs. They definitely do not give you fine burs - just use the same grit bur on a slow speed. They will give you the instrument to cut enamel and dentin, I do not remember the name, I think it was an enamel trimmer

If any girl is interested in sharing accommodation for 10th May's interview at Colorado, please pm me

Hello everyone, did anyone bought the kilgore typodont to practice for the bench exam? I went to the official website and I wasn't too sure which one I should buy. Can anyone advice? thank you.

I do not remember for sure, if they give flat end burs. They definitely do not give you fine burs - just use the same grit bur on a slow speed. They will give you the instrument to cut enamel and dentin, I do not remember the name, I think it was an enamel trimmer
Thank u :)

any one interested in sharing accommodations for may 10th interview. PM me

any advice on practicing for the bench exam....videos?...courses?