cold e-mailing PIs for gap year positions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doubledoctordoubletrouble

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had luck with this? I am wondering if it's worth the effort... or if I should go through universities' jobs listing pages?

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely cold email. The majority of my job offers were the result of (very polite) cold emailing. Also contact the PIs directly from the job listing pages so your apps don't get lost in HR land.

Reactions: 1 user
Absolutely cold email. The majority of my job offers were the result of (very polite) cold emailing. Also contact the PIs directly from the job listing pages so your apps don't get lost in HR land.

Did you specifically target PIs? (such as big names, newer faculty, etc.) What type of labs did you have the most luck with? Also, when did you start reaching out to them in relation to when you started the job? (sorry for so many questions, but thanks in advance!!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! Cold emailing is how I got my current gap year job. It took about 15 emails but I found an awesome PI (at a major research university) who was willing to take on somebody like myself who had 0 hours of research experience prior. Don't be nervous, just express your interest kindly and be cooperative!

I've had mild success with finding research work via cold emails, but I think networking with professors you've had could possibly go a longer way.

What did you email them? How much of a time commitment did they require in hrs/wk and long-term (months)?
I had just finished a masters degree that did not require a thesis and I was kind of "inspired" by my classes to do some research during my gap year. Neuroscience still has so much to gain from research and I found my grad neuroscience classes to be really interesting. So I wanted to use that year before medical school to contribute to ongoing research in that field. That's basically what I had initially emailed my current PI. I was just honest about me and my situation.

Also, I would recommend reading a paper or two of theirs before emailing them to 1)make sure that the research they are doing is actually something you would like to do and 2)show whoever you are emailing that you know what they do and are interested in doing the research.

Finally, it is a full time position so its paid and I work 40 hours per week. But my PI is so awesome and understanding about what my career goals are and has zero problem with me missing work for interviews and when I need to permanently leave the lab.

The job I had for a few years before starting medical school I got by cold emailing the PI. I also found the research project I did between first and second year by cold emailing. Definitely nothing wrong with it.

I chose a school and they had a list of researchers. I emailed about 20 people and got mostly silence or nos. Got three interviews and when I was about to give up from being so discouraged, the last guy says hey we liked you come to our lab. The funny thing is that I was the most interested in his field and it's the field I'm planning to match into.

In my email I said something along the lines of Dear Dr. Smith, my name is psai. I recently graduated from college with a bs in science and I'm very interested in this topic. I've read a number of your publications and your work on drosophila is something I'd like to pursue in the future. I'm looking to gain some research experience so I was wondering if you had space in your lab for a research tech. Sincerely, psai

I chose a school and they had a list of researchers. I emailed about 20 people and got mostly silence or nos. Got three interviews and when I was about to give up from being so discouraged, the last guy says hey we liked you come to our lab. The funny thing is that I was the most interested in his field and it's the field I'm planning to match into.

In my email I said something along the lines of Dear Dr. Smith, my name is psai. I recently graduated from college with a bs in science and I'm very interested in this topic. I've read a number of your publications and your work on drosophila is something I'd like to pursue in the future. I'm looking to gain some research experience so I was wondering if you had space in your lab for a research tech. Sincerely, psai

Just curious-- did you have any relevant research experience in that field?

I did research in undergrad and I knew how to use one of their instruments which I ended up using a lot for the project I was doing as well as for other people's projects. I also took a lot of upper level bio classes so I knew how to do other things, just never did then in real life