Cold Weather Clothing for the Warm Weather Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it looks like I'm gonna be moving to Kansas City, MO for school next year. I have lived in California my entire life and have no idea how to shop for "winter" clothes or what brands are "good." I know I can look online, but I figured you smart doctors can help me out here with a few good brands and tips to keep warm.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
It gets cold in Kansas City:confused:?

Reactions: 2 users
I lived in Alaska my spouse bought me a north face and even in -40 I was warm

Members don't see this ad :)
I have lived in MN and WI for most of my life. Moving to the Midwest from Cali is going to be a big change. You may have experienced some cold in your life, but the winters in the Midwest go beyond cold; beyond cold is pain. I have found that I love The North Face brand of winter jackets and fleece sweaters/vests, though this brand is pricey it is very reliable and looks nice. Also don't underestimate how much it sucks sitting in your car waiting for it to warm up as you freeze, get a nice pair of leather gloves for holding onto that frozen steering wheel. As far as long sleeve shirts, long underwear and pants goes, just buy what ever brands you like or think looks nice, more than likely you will be dressing in layers (highly recommended). For example (just my dress style) in the winter on a typical day I would wear pants with long underwear (depending on how cold it will actually be), wool socks (not necessarily the thick winter ones) shoes or boots (depends on weather), undershirt with long-sleeve shirt, fleece sweater/vest, and winter apparel (winter jacket, hats and gloves). Like I said before, dressing in layers is the key.

Reactions: 3 users
Layering is key. I like having a light pullover fleece, a heavy zip-down fleece, a down jacket, and a pea coat. As far as brands go, I'm very happy with my North Face fleeces and down jacket, all of which I got on sale at some point. You could wait until winter hits and you need it. However, you might get better prices if you shop ahead of time this Spring, when all the winter gear goes on sale.

EDIT: word

Last edited:
For more budget oriented winter outerwear, Lands' End and LL Bean. Tip for buying a winter coat that is made for going outside: wool is not waterproof, nor is it as warm as down or whatever synthetic insulation the coat is filled with. Also, if water gets in the shell of the coat and gets the insulation (synthetic or down feathers) wet, the synthetic stuff will dry much faster (esp with a dryer) and won't clump.

Layering is key. I like having a light pullover fleece, a heavy zip-down fleece, a down jacket, and a petticoat. As far as brands go, I'm very happy with my North Face fleeces and down jacket, all of which I got on sale at some point. You could wait until winter hits and you need it. However, you might get better prices if you shop ahead of time this Spring, when all the winter gear goes on sale.
:confused:
Are you just that committed to wearing skirts in the winter? Or am I missing something?

Along with a heavy winter jacket and gloves/hat, get yourself a good pair of boots. I cannot stress this enough. Sorels are renowned in Minnesota and Canada for being the best boots known to man. Expensive, but oh so incredibly worth it.

North Face, Columbia, Patagonia all make solid winter coats. Get one that is lined with removable fleece along with an outer shell so you can layer.

Reactions: 1 user
Layers layers layers. Cannot stress this enough. A gigantic winter jacket won't keep you nearly as warm as proper layering.

Merino wool is the best fabric there is for next to skin warmth, and it doesn't retain smell so while it's expensive, you don't need a lot of it.

For a mid layer, nothing beats down. It's unfathomably warm for its weight.

Here's a good article about layering: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/a/11061/Introduction-to-Layered-Clothing-Systems

:confused:
Are you just that committed to wearing skirts in the winter? Or am I missing something?

Hah, hah, my bad. I meant a nice-looking pea coat. Thanks for catching that.

Wait until you get there and make friends with a classmate who is a local and same gender as yourself. There are usually good sales around Columbus Day (mid-October) in advance of the cold weather. Go with your local pal and you'll get good advice on what's sensible and what's fashionable but less practical.

Besides a coat, you'll need something for your ears (or whole head), hands, and something waterproof for your feet.

Also add sweaters, and flannel shirts.

Electric blanket for the bed will help too.

Don't forget an ice scraper for your car! Look up "blue norther", while you're at it.

Wait until you get there and make friends with a classmate who is a local and same gender as yourself. There are usually good sales around Columbus Day (mid-October) in advance of the cold weather. Go with your local pal and you'll get good advice on what's sensible and what's fashionable but less practical.

Besides a coat, you'll need something for your ears (or whole head), hands, and something waterproof for your feet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Layering is key. I like having a light pullover fleece, a heavy zip-down fleece, a down jacket, and a pea coat.

Layers layers layers. Cannot stress this enough. A gigantic winter jacket won't keep you nearly as warm as proper layering.

WI resident, 100% agree with these. If the temp is in the single digits and you're only wearing a jacket over your outfit, you will FREEZE. When it gets that cold I usually wear t-shirt, sweatshirt, and heavy winter jacket to class. I personally like Columbia as a jacket brand. They're nice and warm, look good, and are a cheaper alternative to North Face which every college kid wears around here at least.

A wind breaker is nice to have too. They're great if you're exercising outside since they're lighter and more flexible than a winter coat and can still keep the cold wind out.

Also add sweaters, and flannel shirts.

Electric blanket for the bed will help too.

Don't forget an ice scraper for your car! Look up "blue norther", while you're at it.

It's all about the crewnecks and flannels, homie. I'm actually sorta bummed I might be moving from Ohio to Cali... I won't be able to wear winter/fall clothes as often :(

Unless you're going to the Bay Area. I was there in the summer for a scientific conference, and froze solid.

It's all about the crewnecks and flannels, homie. I'm actually sorta bummed I might be moving from Ohio to Cali... I won't be able to wear winter/fall clothes as often :(

Everyone always remembers to layer the top, but the bottom gets no respect. Jeans are thin and not windproof!
I always like to throw on some sort of long john/underarmor beneath my jeans.
Also, don't underestimate the power of those poofy vests in keeping your core warm and windproof without limiting your arms! They also have deep, insulated, windproof pockets which are perfect for stuffing some hand warmers into and letting the heat build up right next to your core.

Everyone always remembers to layer the top, but the bottom gets no respect. Jeans are thin and not windproof!
I always like to throw on some sort of long john/underarmor beneath my jeans.
Also, don't underestimate the power of those poofy vests in keeping your core warm and windproof without limiting your arms! They also have deep, insulated, windproof pockets which are perfect for stuffing some hand warmers into and letting the heat build up right next to your core.

You're saying you like these?
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1416941794.046159.jpg

I've always wondered why people wore them if they don't cover your arms...

You're saying you like these?View attachment 187270

I've always wondered why people wore them if they don't cover your arms...
Yeah, or like the ones from Gap or Land's End, which are cheaper and poofier.
They are a great component of layering...if it's fall, you can wear your usual sweater and just throw that over for wind protection/core warmth.
If it's winter and you cannot fit another fleece under your winter coat or are sick of your sleeves all bunching up/coming loose/limiting your elbows (I've actually gotten away from buying the 'detachable liner' jackets for these reasons), you can usually still fit a vest under the body to fill out all of the loose crannies with insulation.

Patagonia
layers
stretchy layers closer to your skin, looser ones further away
massive warm scarves
uggs keep your feet warm but have crap traction, I wear sneakers in the winter

Patagonia
layers
massive warm scarves
Ya' know uggs are not the only winter boots out there, right?

I've got a pair of Croc insulated winter boots that I've worn constantly for the last 3 winters and they're still solid. Decent traction, waterproof and keep my feet warm. Lots of brands have something similar.

Patagonia
layers
massive warm scarves

Aldo's boots are a definite win IMO

Ya' know uggs are not the only winter boots out there, right?

I've got a pair of Croc insulated winter boots that I've worn constantly for the last 3 winters and they're still solid. Decent traction, waterproof and keep my feet warm. Lots of brands have something similar.

Yes, I know. Just pointing out their huge issues(at least for me) seeing as how OP is asking for advice about cold weather outfits and many people associate uggs with cold weather.

Yes, I know. Just pointing out their huge issues(at least for me) seeing as how OP is asking for advice about cold weather outfits and many people associate uggs with cold weather.
Must be different fashion/practicality norms in our respective locations then, because I never see anybody around me wearing those ugliest of shoes when it's serious winter weather.

Though if you can get away with sneakers for the winter, then it can't be that bad where you are. I'd get frostbite coming in from the parking lot if I did that.

Not from a fashion standpoint, but at least in the northeast, Uggs aren't really considered 'cold weather' shoes. They're maybe fall shoes, but in the winter, when snow is a permanent fixture, your feet get wet too much and Uggs can't handle that very well.

Not from a fashion standpoint, but at least in the northeast, Uggs aren't really considered 'cold weather' shoes. They're maybe fall shoes, but in the winter, when snow is a permanent fixture, your feet get wet too much and Uggs can't handle that very well.

if I say snow, I think sneakers or winter boots
cold weather or fall, I think uggs

on top of having crap traction, uggs are obviously not practical in anything remotely wet

if I say snow, I think sneakers or winter boots
cold weather or fall, I think uggs

on top of having crap traction, uggs are obviously not practical in anything remotely wet
Lol, I think we have actually been in agreement all along, I just got misled by one of the earlier replies to your post. My bad.

To complete my thought, though, without any implication that you are in disagreement: to me, 'winter' implies permanent snow, so Uggs don't really qualify as 'winter boots'

I srsly don't think anyone who has posted in this thread is even remotely cognizant of what cold really is. I've been in KC numerous times in the middle of winter and have never needed more than a hoodie.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Also don't underestimate how much it sucks sitting in your car waiting for it to warm up as you freeze, get a nice pair of leather gloves for holding onto that frozen steering wheel.

Besides the layering, this is the best advice in the whole thread. Your car will likely be parked outside, and that freezing steering wheel feeling is quite possibly my least favorite part of winter (especially during those cold, dark mornings).

Besides the layering, this is the best advice in the whole thread. Your car will likely be parked outside, and that freezing steering wheel feeling is quite possibly my least favorite part of winter (especially during those cold, dark mornings).
Do...do people somewhere not keep gloves in their cars at all time? I mean, they come with glove boxes for pete's sake!
I also keep several packs of handwarmers in there. Actually, I keep them everywhere - they can be a lifesaver when you're too cold to warm your insulating layers up yourself, or when you need to use your hands sans gloves (keep them in your pockets to let the heat build up so you can rewarm your digits in a hurry). Now that I'm in CA, I just use them for keeping me warm in the OR, as half of those turn out to be iceboxes.

Do...do people somewhere not keep gloves in their cars at all time? I mean, they come with glove boxes for pete's sake!
I also keep several packs of handwarmers in there. Actually, I keep them everywhere - they can be a lifesaver when you're too cold to warm your insulating layers up yourself, or when you need to use your hands sans gloves (keep them in your pockets to let the heat build up so you can rewarm your digits in a hurry). Now that I'm in CA, I just use them for keeping me warm in the OR, as half of those turn out to be iceboxes.
Everyone knows glove boxes are made to store the manual and insurance registration. No room for gloves in there after that.

Reactions: 3 users
LOL...

I've never thought about the origin of the name. But yes there are those of us raised in California and other warm weather climates that don't store gloves in our glove box.

It took me living in Pennsylvania to learn to put gloves in every jacket/coat I own and to keep a blanket in the trunk of the car.

I would recommend against the vest advice from earlier, unless you really want to look like Han Solo.
kI8B6ki.jpg

I srsly don't think anyone who has posted in this thread is even remotely cognizant of what cold really is. I've been in KC numerous times in the middle of winter and have never needed more than a hoodie.
While I might suggest that more than a hoodie would be appropriate for the 0P who is a fellow thin blooded California, people here are acting like he's moving to Minnesota or the UP of Michigan LOL.

While I might suggest that more than a hoodie would be appropriate for the 0P who is a fellow thin blooded California, people here are acting like he's moving to Minnesota or the UP of Michigan LOL.
...or the barren tundra of eastern NoDak.

77 here today. You?
Lol. Just checked the weather when I saw this. Apparently it's -1 and -21 with wind chill - my thoughts while walking to lecture in my suit "meh, it's not January yet."

Last edited:

Last edited:
The first thing I did moving to Chicago from Texas was to buy a heavy duty, winter coat in Chicago. The latter point is key. The "winter coats" you get from warmer climate areas have nothing on coats from colder areas. Some good boots are also a necessity for snow-laden areas - I bought some heavy duty North Face boots the first year I was up here that are still in great shape and have held up well. Good gloves, a hat, and a scarf or some kind of face protection are also necessary if you're going to be in the brutal cold.

My fiancé and I just stack up a ton of blankets on the bed to keep warm, but the electric blanket @Goro suggested would be a truly luxurious thing.

Hey, I'll rub it in: 67 degrees here in Central Texas and not a cloud in the sky; gonna' be like this for the next ten days.

My fiancé and I just stack up a ton of blankets on the bed to keep warm, but the electric blanket @Goro suggested would be a truly luxurious thing.

LOL My dad likes a heated mattress pad which he put on a timer to warm the bed before bedtime and turn itself off later at night to avoid getting uncomfortably overheated. That is a luxurious thing! Add flannel sheets prn.