Collaborative work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arabio

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got some ideas for a medical research project. However, I am not quite sure how to get the attention of big therapeutic companies to give me some support to carry out the project. Do you guys have any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a medical student/doctor? Do you have a PI? You're not going to be able to get much funding to do any sort of research without a PI.

not yet a medical student. i am still in my pre-med. I am thinking if you know a way (like collaborative sites etc.) to reach those companies and notice my idea, given that i am only a pre-med student.

Members don't see this ad :)
not yet a medical student. i am still in my pre-med. I am thinking if you know a way (like collaborative sites etc.) to reach those companies and notice my idea, given that i am only a pre-med student.

As the previous poster mentioned, you'll probably want to hook up with a PI/professor/scientist.

This isn't to say you'll let them take a leading role with the idea, but you might need to have them on board when you approach a company and ask for funding. This gives your project some backing and legitimacy. You can always apply for grants with a PI (again, they would need to be on board). Or you can just ask some professors at your school (pertaining to the topic that your idea relates to) how you should approach this.

Given you're only a pre-med student, it's going to be very hard to get any backing or funding from companies. Additionally, any research that you do (especially if you are going to attempt to publish) is going to need the backing of a PhD. Although if you're wanting to do medical research, you're going to need an MD/DO. If this is something you're really interested in, your first step should be to talk to a professor at your university that does work in a similar area. They may be able to either oversee your work/help you get the funding or put you in contact with somebody who will.

I also talked about this to my friends and one of them told me that websites that encourage collaborative work do exist, such as www.patentzilla.com. I am thinking maybe this site could also help me in finding fellow pre-med students as collaborators for a start-up project.

Why do you want to collaborate with pre-med students? I still strongly urge you to find a PhD/MD/DO to supervise your work. You will have a very difficult time finding any funding without one. And if you do find funding, you will be hard pressed to find a reputable journal that will publish your work. Undergrads simply don't have the reputation/skill set to perform completely solo research.