collecting LOR a few years before applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qatarra5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it all.

Good idea or bad, and any recommendations for storage of these until I apply.

Thank you to those who read/comment.

Members don't see this ad.

Bad. Schools prefer fresh letters.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is the kind of stuff you would need to call individual schools for. But if you have the choice, why collect old ones when you could just hand in all new ones. Are you transferring schools?

Remember there is a limit of about 3-4 letters per school. If there is a professor you really believe knows you and can write a better letter than anyone else, I would suggest letting him know you will be applying in the future. He could write the letter but not date it till you need it. Then it would still be considered fresh when he does "complete" it with the official date and letterhead. Just my two cents:

Reactions: 1 users
I would say if you want a LOR from someone, remain in contact with them over the years and then ask for the LOR when the time comes.

This is the kind of stuff you would need to call individual schools for. But if you have the choice, why collect old ones when you could just hand in all new ones. Are you transferring schools?

Remember there is a limit of about 3-4 letters per school. If there is a professor you really believe knows you and can write a better letter than anyone else, I would suggest letting him know you will be applying in the future. He could write the letter but not date it till you need it. Then it would still be considered fresh when he does "complete" it with the official date and letterhead. Just my two cents:

I have taught and done research for a biology professor for a couple of years now and we are relatively close because of this. I figured a letter from him would be worthwhile.

I have taught and done research for a biology professor for a couple of years now and we are relatively close because of this. I figured a letter from him would be worthwhile.

If you are close with them it should be fine as long as you maintain a relationship until when you apply. Just don't make them write it now and submit that copy in a few years. Letters should be written around the time you're applying. The spring before the application cycle is usually a good time.