college courses below 101 and gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tom987654321

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have pretty low gpa and I'm in process of tabulating everything to determine precisely where I stand. I'm confused how AMCAS views below 101 courses? When I started college I had to start with Algebra, which is actually HS level I think, and these 2 classes had designations below 101.. Should I included these when calculating cgpa?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't seen any mention of this specific situation in any of the AMCAS course guidelines. I would contact AMCAS directly and ask. I had a couple of course-related questions for them when I applied and they were very helpful over the phone!

A good rule of thumb if it has credit hours and a grade on your transcript then it counts. If it's a NC (no credit) or 0 hour class on your transcript then it won't count. Colleges vary in how they record such on transcripts.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. these math courses are definitely credit courses.. but also I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. The grades on my transcript are not letter grades they are just the numbers, like 3.7, 3.9 or whatever. SO I went to my former university page and located their "grading policy" and then matched up each grade point with a letter grade. Then I took that letter grade to the AMCAS grade conversion chart and converted it to the AMCAS grade point. I noticed that sometimes this would sometimes slightly increase my gradepoint and sometimes decrease. IS this normal?
Also when calculating BCPM would any biochem courses and also any math below or above the calculus series count toward that gpa? In other words I should be including all Math courses not just prereqs right? thanks

Thanks for the replies. these math courses are definitely credit courses.. but also I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. The grades on my transcript are not letter grades they are just the numbers, like 3.7, 3.9 or whatever. SO I went to my former university page and located their "grading policy" and then matched up each grade point with a letter grade. Then I took that letter grade to the AMCAS grade conversion chart and converted it to the AMCAS grade point. I noticed that sometimes this would sometimes slightly increase my gradepoint and sometimes decrease. IS this normal?
Also when calculating BCPM would any biochem courses and also any math below or above the calculus series count toward that gpa? In other words I should be including all Math courses not just prereqs right? thanks

AMCAS has info on how to do gpa entry when you have numeric vs. letter grades. Any course that is math or related science should be included. They have a list of which courses are included where.