College decision—help!

pioneer22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

It comes with a heavy heart that I am facing a college decision with schools I never really wanted to attend.
I hoped to attend an Ivy, as I worked to achieve that goal my whole life, and had the grades to do so. Luck was not in my favor.

I am left with the following options:
Saint Louis Univ. Biomedical Engineering
Univ. Missouri-Columbia. Biological Engineering
Tulane University. Biomedical Engineering
Univ. Tulsa. Chemical Engineering (really don't like this school)

Whatever went wrong this time around in admissions, I don't want to happen again, so I am going to try and work harder than ever before in college to set myself up for top-10 medical schools acceptances (I know this is difficult wherever you go). With that in mind, would you all please comment your thoughts on where I should attend. Some important factors for me are premed opportunities, and ability to get into a top-tier Med School.

The more input, the better.

Please help.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

All decent schools, Tulane is the most recognizable, pick one and do well with GPA and MCAT while engaging in good ECs, you'll do fine

Edit: UM is great too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go where you feel you have the best opportunities for success in undergrad and the school you like the most. You will spend 4 important years there. You can get into a top 10 med school from any of those, but that shouldn't really be the point in my opinion. Working hard is a great goal. If something were to change in the next few years and you decide that medicine isn't for you, then you will still have good grades and work ethic to translate somewhere else. Just remember that "luck" also exists in med school applications and even though you might think you are set for a top 10 school, you might not make it (sometimes it turns out to be better because other schools will give you scholarships if you are still a strong applicant)

Thanks guys so far.

What do you guys think of me applying as a transfer student after freshman year, if I do not like the school I pick but do very well there?

Always an option but definitely complicates things and leaves a risk of credits not transferring well.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone.

It comes with a heavy heart that I am facing a college decision with schools I never really wanted to attend.
I hoped to attend an Ivy, as I worked to achieve that goal my whole life, and had the grades to do so. Luck was not in my favor.

I am left with the following options:
Saint Louis Univ. Biomedical Engineering
Univ. Missouri-Columbia. Biological Engineering
Tulane University. Biomedical Engineering
Univ. Tulsa. Chemical Engineering (really don't like this school)

Whatever went wrong this time around in admissions, I don't want to happen again, so I am going to try and work harder than ever before in college to set myself up for top-10 medical schools acceptances (I know this is difficult wherever you go). With that in mind, would you all please comment your thoughts on where I should attend. Some important factors for me are premed opportunities, and ability to get into a top-tier Med School.

The more input, the better.

Please help.
Thank you
and Univ. Miami (FL) BME
How set are you on studying engineering? I'm not familiar with the quality of engineering programs, but for non-engi undergrad (the much safer option for protecting a high GPA) you would probably be best off at Tulane or Miami, which both produce a good number of medical applicants every year (see here), about 1/10th of each graduating class applies to med school.