college freshman needing advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ralph16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is the middle of my second semester in college and i feel as though I need some time to mature a bit. I was thinking about transferring to community college *Im at a 4 year now* Taking less credits per semester allowing me to focus more on each class until I get into the groove of things. This is a bad idea

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean by to mature a little bit? Something is distracting you from school?

Wasn't a strong student coming out of school and i didnt develop good study habits. Kinda want to go to community take things a little slower *credit wise* giving me time to develop into a better student. I really want to be a dentist, thats the most important thing to me

Members don't see this ad :)
If you take less credits at an easier school and never have to study then how do you plan on getting better study habits

Feel as though took a big jump into college. Feel like need to strengthen myself i.e.. taking less classes and applying full focus. Easier to focus on each class when you are taking 12 credits as to 18. I also don't want to stay at the 4 year I'm currently at.

Feel as though took a big jump into college. Feel like need to strengthen myself i.e.. taking less classes and applying full focus. Easier to focus on each class when you are taking 12 credits as to 18. I also don't want to stay at the 4 year I'm currently at.

If you want to transfer, transfer. If you are tying to come up with a reason to transfer, you don't need a reason. Not everyone fits at their 4 year school right away. I will also say that this time of year it's pretty common for freshmen to fell like they don't belong. What have you done at your 4 year to improve your study skills? Have you met with your adviser? Have you gone into the study centers and gotten help? You don't have to take 18 credits at a 4 year school to graduate on time either. Also, have you gotten involved with campus life at all? Are you in any clubs, playing intramural sports, whatever? A move to a community college isn't really going to give you the focus that you think but, depending on how much your current school costs, it might be a better financial decision.

I had a very rough transition into college because I literally did not pick up a book throughout my entire high school career. I'd just show up, take the tests/quizzes, go home and pass out before dinner and more sleep. Transitioning to college was rough because A) not only did I have to study to actually do well, but B) I now had infinite freedom. I'd much rather stay out late everyday than study for my exam later on in the week. This resulted in a terrible GPA, but I reached a point where I realized that I needed to step up my game. This is the point where you're at now.

I think at this point I had a 2.68 GPA, so I knew I had to pull a straight 4.0 for the rest of my college career if I wanted a shot at dental school. The key for me (and you might find a better alternative for yourself) was to basically tank my social life for about a month. The first month of my Junior semester I didn't go out at all and focused only on studying. That helped set up the frame work. I learned how I studied best and started setting up a study schedule. After the first month I went out sparingly, but I think I was taking 18 credits that semester myself (with two two-a-week labs... ugh) so I didn't do anything too crazy.

The semester after that, I had a good idea on how I studied best so I mixed in some DAT studying which also kept me pretty busy. After the DAT was over though, I realized that I could cut back significantly on the amount of time I studied because I already knew the most effective way to do it. Finishing up my last semester of undergrad now, I don't study nearly as much as I did that first terrible semester, but I still get the same grades.

Moral of the long-winded Story: The key is to learn how you study. Take some time and try to focus SOLELY on studying. It'll suck, but you'll be thankful you did when you find out the best way to utilize your time.

Good luck, and know you can totally do it!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on going to Pitt and do you think having transcripts from 4 different schools would negatively affect me?

Congrats on going to Pitt and do you think having transcripts from 4 different schools would negatively affect me?

I don't think it would negatively affect you, but it will be a pain in the ass to send in. Keep in mind that some schools don't accept community college credits for prereqs. I honestly think you'd be better off just taking a 13-14 credit semester next year and learning how you work best... Unless of course you dislike the university for other reasons, in which case I'd move. No need in making yourself miserable.

That is the case unfortunately, my 4 year is way to rural for me.