college grades matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medhopeful08

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
in applying for residencies in radiation oncology, do they ask for your college grades?

Members don't see this ad.

its about as important as that "permenant" record you got in elementary school. Remember that one?

no not really.

but i went to med school where i went to college, and all my grades were on the same transcript...and there was no way to separate them. the only thing someone mentioned was my poor grade in the history of jazz--it was more of a conversation piece.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah and id say conversation piece is about all college transcripts are at this ponit. If anyone happened to know a college grade and ask you about, it would be to hear you say something.

So what happened with H.O. Jazz, then? Sounds like it'd be fun.
Steph

do they specifically ask for them to be sent in?

no, they dont request you to send your college grades.

what happened? well there is a horrible grade on my transcript from 1st semester of my 1st year in college. but there is a great story behind it, a little too revealing for a bulletin board. maybe at astro one day!

'sup ya'll--
i've been away from the board for a while--i've been super busy during my prelim intership. radonc--how's life treating you? i remember meeting you at vandy and speaking with you re: match around this time last year.

anyway, the program where i ended up matching--loyola univ med ctr--required applicants to send in college transcripts. i don't know how they integrated them into their ranking decisions, but i know it never came up during any of my interviews there. assuming that all of us did well enough during college to get into medschool, i don't really see how it would really reflect negatively on your app. granted, i did better in college than i did in medschool numbers-wise.

OT--i really hate internal medicine. to all of you wondering whether or not to do a rigorous prelim med, i'd say think twice. i was worried that i'd mismatch, so i ranked my current prelim program highly thinking that i'd be better off if i had to reapply. in retrospect, i would've ranked my "name brand" program at the bottom of my primary list, so i'd be assured of a "name brand" affiliation had i not matched, and rank other, "easier" programs with priority on my secondary list. *i apologize for my wordiness and run-ons--i'm post call*

ps, if any of ya'll know who matched at loyola last year, give me a p.m.

i'll be more than happy to respond to any inquiries...

peace.

ps, buckaroo and the rest of the oldskool crew, if you're reading, how the hell are you?

later.