College Major

dan4269

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pre-health currently (dental or opt haven't decided) and was told I need to pick a major that interests me as I'm currently a Biology major but have no real interest in it. My question is that the major that most interested me was "Veterinary Science" however, I have no interest in applying to a veterinary school. I know they say that major doesn't matter but will it hurt me to have a bachelors in veterinary science and apply to say Dental school? I don't want them to look negatively on my degree as "He has a vet degree so we must be his second choice". I simply would enjoy working with animals if I had to use my degree until I got into a pre-health school.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Short answer: Vet is fine. I've seen history, economics, accounting, and I think even a horticulture major get into med school. Not sure how it will work with other schools, but you should be fine as long as you make a compelling case in your personal statements/interviews.

I would strongly advise against a vet science degree. Unlike the other majors the above poster listed, that sounds like a specific career oriented major(i.e. pre-professional). It would probably be on par with other non MD/DO pre health degrees (these have a significantly lower acceptance rate than most other majors) Does your school offer a zoology major? This will be very similar, without being quite so career oriented.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds like an amazing opportunity! If you are not interested in biology as a major, then please for the love of your happiness and 4 years of life as an undergrad, switch your major! I would have loved to have done vet science, that really sounds neat. You need to do what you find interesting (there's also a greater chance of you doing better academically).

Your GPA, dental/med school pre-reqs, and MCAT/DAT will speak for themselves number wise. When it comes time for interviews, you will stand out with your enthusiasm over what you studied, instead of sounding like another processed ball of cheese who did his major just because someone told him it was the right one.

Your attitude regarding the degree for other uses is right on, you could also use it for volunteering with animals (again, don't think this is frowned upon because it isn't directly oriented to humans, most of my volunteering was with planting trees and environmental things. Why? Because that's what I care about, and being true to yourself is never a bad thing). And no, they will likely not think you were applying to dental/med school as a 2nd choice just because of your undergrad degree, that is absurd.

All the best with undergrad, work hard and enjoy it as much as you can (read: not saying get wasted every weekend);)

My orthodontist was originally an animal science major (different from veterinary science, but probably a more popular major for pre-vet students) and originally wanted to go to vet school. He's a few years out of residency, so it's been a few years since he applied, but I think as long as you show that you are seriously interested in dentistry, or whatever you end up going for, it'll be fine.

Last edited:
Major in whatever you're interested in. Use your extracurricular activities to demonstrate a commitment to dentistry and I doubt you'll have a problem.

they don't care about the "major" they want to see the pre-med reqs and upper-level science courses