College Majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miss155

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I was wondering what is the best major to do to enhance your score on the MCAT. In your opinion is a biology degree very challenging? Do anyone here have some great study tips? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i heard non-science majors tend to do better on the mcat. why? i have no clue.

maybe cuz the mcat is a sh*tty test that doesnt test ur knowledge... i hate the bloody thing.

just do what ever major interests you, cuz thats the major that ur gonna do well in, and thats what really matters.

Originally posted by chikantikka
i heard non-science majors tend to do better on the mcat. why? i have no clue.

maybe cuz the mcat is a sh*tty test that doesnt test ur knowledge... i hate the bloody thing.

just do what ever major interests you, cuz thats the major that ur gonna do well in, and thats what really matters.

Non-science majors doing better on the MCAT has more to do with correlative factors than anything causative. The fact is almost EVERY science major applies to med school, while only a fraction of the non-science major pool applies to med school. The non-science pool tends to be smaller and self-selected for the "higher quality" applicants who do better on the MCAT and in getting into med school.

So it really doesnt matter what major you pick as long as you are interested in it and do well in it. You can make yourself more than prepared for the MCAT by taking a test-prep course or buying the books-- as they are more likely to provide you the knowledge to improve your score than many courses in your major might.

Also, I dont think there has ever been a "good" standardized test in the history of mankind from the eyes of students/testtakers. The MCAT is no different than other standardized tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about which major is best for the MCAT. Pick one you really enjoy and would like to pursue if you don't go to med school. One of the craziest things pre-med kids do is do everything because "it looks good" and forget to do something they like for once. Regardless of major, you still need to do most the sciences anyways to even think of applying. May a suggest a major that is not even remotely medically-related; you will like yourself better and will be a more interesting applicant (and doctor).

agreeing with above...

please just don't take a bio-ish major just because you want to be a doc. if you can handle the stress of switching gears from say philosophy to orgo, take an intense, interesting major outside of science and then take the med school basics (which tend to add up to 24-30 credits, most of your electives surely but not undoable.)

if nothing else, it's fun to one-up the whiners before the orgo test by saying "Yeah, this test does suck... but having a three thousand word essay on pericles due the same day is worse you premed puss" (really helped getting people to stop whining around me... teehee)

Definetly pick a major that you enjoy, but if you're not really sure and you're a decent writer, check out philosophy. It's my major, and I think that logic classes and just in general the volume of critical reading I had to do helped me a ton for the MCAT.

Good luck!!

- Quid

Agreeing with all of the above-- it really doesn't matter what you major in. As long as you take the pre-reqs then you'll be fine-- the MCAT does not test on higher levels of biology, chemistry, or physics. You're going to be studying this subject for ~4 years. Make sure it's something you like-- you'll do better, be happier, and have more interesting things to talk about.

IMO, humanity majors tend to do very well on the MCAT b/c the test is largely reading comprehension (yes, even the science sections), and understanding the information that is presented to you is much more important than having a bunch of random phycics equations memorized. Don't get me wrong-- having the random physics equations memorized isn't going to hurt you any-- but being able to really understand what the passage is about and what the question is asking is way more important.

best of luck. :)

what about between psychology and philosophy....i can't decide which would help me more.....

Don't look at it as "what will help me more." Just look at it as "which one do I like more?" :)

If you left it to me, I'd choose Philosophy. Not to offend Psych majors out there, but Psych is REALLY BORING compared to Philosophy FOR ME. I'd simply choose Philosophy because it's more interesting for me.

Just pick the one you like more, and if you don't know which one to pick, I don't see the harm in doing a double-major...

well i ment help me more like would a child psych major give me something extra in the field of pediatrics (what i want to do)

...but i think your right philosophy is so interesting and challenges your mind at the same time

...i would love to double major, but i go to a very small school where double majoring is near impossible becuase only one or two time frames are offered for each course (so times often conflict and your forced to pick one or the other)

i.e. i am a sophomore and am behind in my pre med requirements....i signed up for chem 1 and bio 1 and i needed calc 1 but there was no way to take all three of these courses becuase of conflicting times (i had to take it this summer online :( do NOT recommend that)

Philosophy hands down. It forces you to question the very basics of what you hold true -- it is truth at its hardest core...Why do you think religion and philosophy are kissing cousins?

I actually double majored in biology and philosophy, and had interest prior to college. Make sure you take a course in philo FIRST -- 90% of people hate philosophy because it does indeed question almost constantly. But if you're in that 10%... philosophy is sweet....

philsophy is the science of dissagreement, religion however is the art of manipulation.

-thats just my thought.

=D

im a philosphy major too =)

i have taken a course in philosophy...i LOVED it...and the professor at my college is WONDERFUL (there is only one...small school)

....but all classes are full this next term...i need to see if he will squeeze me in

Originally posted by Sweet Tea
the MCAT does not test on higher levels of biology, chemistry, or physics.

I disagree. In the biological science section of the MCAT, there are tons of questions dealing with biochemistry, genetics, and physiology. I think physiology is an essential course for the MCAT. If you're not going to major in Biology, at least take this class as an elective.

Honestly I don't see how anyone can do well on this section of the MCAT without taking one of these courses or at least reading about these subjects in an MCAT book. Topics such as action potentials and functions of the kidney are not covered in detail in any of the basic bio courses.