colon pN stage question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is the pN stage of a colon adenocarcinoma with a tumor nodule in 1 block, a positive lymph node

• pN1a

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • pN1b

• pN1c

• Total voters

gorillamunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the pN stage of a colon adenocarcinoma with a tumor nodule in 1 block, a positive lymph node in another block, and 11 negative lymph nodes?

Thanks in advance for the answer, and a reference or link would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Per the CAP staging protocols for colorectal adenoCAs (page 25), tumor deposits without histologic evidence of residual lymph node tissue are not counted as a positive lymph node. Your stage is pN1a, but when you fill out the CAP protocol you will mention the tumor deposit.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the SEER data shows a difference of survival within N1 (and N2) groups, but part of that is reliant on the T stage. EG: most N1 tumors are stage IIIA or IIIB (regardless of the N being a, b or c), but a T4b any N bumps it up to IIIC.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the pN stage of a colon adenocarcinoma with a tumor nodule in 1 block, a positive lymph node in another block, and 11 negative lymph nodes?

Thanks in advance for the answer, and a reference or link would be greatly appreciated.
A tumor deposit makes it N1c

Alteran is correct, AZpath is not. The positive node makes it N1a. N1c is reserved only for cases where there are tumor deposits but no positive nodes.

Reactions: 2 users
I've been retired for a bit but aren't tumor deposites without evidence of it having been a node considered vascular invasion and given a separate "V" designation?

Agree with path19. I stand corrected.

You have to read the fine print . It is quite confusing since typically a higher number or letter , ie N1b verses N1c, implies higher staging and worse prognosis.