Colorado Job Market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odoreater

Cybernetic Ghost
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Do any of you know the Colorado job market well? Pay/Hours/benefits etc

Academic or community?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

Do any of you know the Colorado job market well? Pay/Hours/benefits etc

Academic or community?

Thanks in advance.

I looked at jobs out there last year. Denver seemed very hard, if not impossible to break into outside academics. The best paying one I found was a 2yr buy-in with a private group. $160s/hr from what I remember, going to $300/hr as partner. I could be off but it was somewhere around that number. PM me if you want more info.

I couldn't really find anything that felt like a really good fit and let's face it... every ER doc prob would love to live/work in Co, so the job market reflects that.

Check out CareerMD.com There seem to be a few more jobs available than when I checked.

Like Salt Lake and Portland, it's a tough market. When I applied 4 years ago there was only one group hiring, and they wanted me to work primarily in Summit County (2 hours from Denver.) If you're dead set on Denver you might move there and moonlight for a while and see if someone likes you enough to hire you into the next available position.

I'm sure the pay is fine once you get the job. The tough part is getting the job. My group of 80-100 docs in Salt Lake gets 50 applications a year. Needless to say, most aren't hired.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like Salt Lake and Portland, it's a tough market. When I applied 4 years ago there was only one group hiring, and they wanted me to work primarily in Summit County (2 hours from Denver.) If you're dead set on Denver you might move there and moonlight for a while and see if someone likes you enough to hire you into the next available position.

I'm sure the pay is fine once you get the job. The tough part is getting the job. My group of 80-100 docs in Salt Lake gets 50 applications a year. Needless to say, most aren't hired.

What's the market like in non-SLC Utah? I'm nowhere near being ready to practice, but I'm just interested. I love the state, and I like smaller/mid-sized cities.

Anyone know much about the Colorado job market in cities like Colorado Springs, Pueblo, or Fort Collins?

"The further you go from Salt Lake, the easier. But Park City, Ogden, Utah County....pretty similar."

Tough to hear. I'm shooting for Ogden...in 4 years. I'm really worried about my chances of getting back there if I don't end up doing my residency at Utah.

"The further you go from Salt Lake, the easier. But Park City, Ogden, Utah County....pretty similar."

Tough to hear. I'm shooting for Ogden...in 4 years. I'm really worried about my chances of getting back there if I don't end up doing my residency at Utah.

There's two groups who staff hospitals in Ogden. Let me know when you're ready to apply and I'll get you in touch with them. Have a back-up plan though.

How about the western slope? GJ and Montrose I'd assume are as competitive as Denver just because they so much smaller.

How about the western slope? GJ and Montrose I'd assume are as competitive as Denver just because they so much smaller.

Both had advertisements hiring last year . Don't know if they got filled or not.

I interviewed in both Colorado Springs and Pueblo. The market in Colorado springs is pretty saturated, but nothing like Denver, you can find a job there. I ended up at a job in Pueblo with a Democratic group there and really enjoy it. I live in Colorado Springs and its a pretty amazing job to have and be able to live in the mountains.

Does anyone have any info on the job market for EM physicians in Idaho? I know that Idaho is short on docs, in general, but I'd like to know about EM docs, in particular. It's another state of which I am very fond.

Members don't see this ad :)
2 groups in boise.. one is emcare or some other CMG. Other is private.. great job good pay

2 groups in boise.. one is emcare or some other CMG. Other is private.. great job good pay

Both of the main groups in Boise are independent democratic groups that have recently acquired some additional contracts and have recently been hiring. EmCare may have one or two small contracts in the area. Not sure. They do sound like good jobs with good pay although you'll do some driving to different sites.

I know I recently saw a post for the hospital in Brighton that was hiring. I only noticed it because I worked as a paramedic in the EMS system out of the hospital (Platte Valley ambulance) that was based out of the hospital. It's a pretty small hospital although they did just open up a brand new place in the last few years that I hear is pretty awesome. Nice place and not far from Denver (on the upper outskirts of Denver so living in the Denver area and driving up would be no problem at all) so you get that benefit. The contact person that was listed is an awesome doc and a nice guy but is different than the director that was there when I was a medic (that guy was old and kind of crotchety so he may have retired) so if he's in charge now that's a good thing. Admittedly, the last time I looked and saw the posting it was about a month ago so they may have found someone but look up PVMC (Platte Valley Medical Center) in Brighton and see if it's still available... would be a nice pick up if you're ok with a lower volume non Level 1 trauma kinda place.

Bump -- anyone have any other experience with Colorado Springs / Pueblo / elsewhere in the state?

Bump - specifically, any one with some more up to date info on Denver/surrounding area? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Anyone know much about the Colorado job market in cities like Colorado Springs, Pueblo, or Fort Collins?

2 groups in Co Springs (Memorial and Penrose). Penrose just hired this past year from what I heard. Fort Collins is one democratic group and one Team Health site with a self-standing ED. I know Team Health was recruiting last year for their new self-standing ED. The Fort Collins group has expanded a lot in the last few years, not sure what their status is these days.

Reactions: 1 user
What's the deal with EPPH, apex and ergentis now with USACS? EPPH was like a 4 yr partnership track (F that).

Anyone out there that can PM with me with more salary/partnership info on EM physicians of the Rockies or CarePoint?

Apparently USACS just took over a ton of small SDGs across the US including over half the groups in Colorado.

They're planning on aggressively expanding over the next few years.

Apparently USACS just took over a ton of small SDGs across the US including over half the groups in Colorado.

They're planning on aggressively expanding over the next few years.

That's very depressing.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

What's the deal with EPPH, apex and ergentis now with USACS? EPPH was like a 4 yr partnership track (F that).

Anyone out there that can PM with me with more salary/partnership info on EM physicians of the Rockies or CarePoint?

When I checked EMPR had a 3 year partnership track, and they were considering capping the number of partners in the near future. So, you'd end up with a 3 year buy in, then have to wait for someone to retire before getting partner.

CO is going through some big changes (massive influx of potheads, FSED's growing like weeds) which is making it esker than ever for EP's to get a job there. However, the whole scene market strikes me as a growing bubble.

I could be wrong though, I'm neither an economist nor a psychic.

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users