Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted18755

Several of my wife's internal medicine and medical oncology friends and colleagues have moved from the northeast to Colorado over the past few years even though they had no family or friends anywhere nearby and they all seem very happy. One even wants to recruit her to his practice.

What's the market like for radiation oncology? What's it like in general especially for two physicians with three small children who would love to settle down in one place for 15-20+ years (very broad question I know)?I've lived my entire life in the northeast and honestly never been south or west of Pennsylvania except for a quick conference or vacation in Florida or California (except of course the time I spent a few miserable days in a hotel in Louisville!).

Members don't see this ad.

What's the market [in Colorado] like for radiation oncology?

Horrendous. Good luck.

My advice to new grads in this job market is to pick something you want--a region, academics, private partnership track, etc. You might get that one thing you want. For academics, you pretty much need to be willing to go anywhere. For a good PP job, it's pretty much the same thing.

Colorado isn't a region. If you aim for somewhere in the mountain states you might get that, but it might be rural farmland. It might be an exploitative position. Such is life for new grads.

Fair enough.

For the record though I asked my wife where exactly in Colorado her friends had moved and although I wasn't expecting her to say Denver or Colorado Springs (the only two cities I know off of the top of my head other than Aurora ... Although I'm not sure if that is a big city or just memorable because of the tragedy that took place there) she said she didn't know and texted them. After they replied I had to look the places up since I had never heard of them and no surprise all three are small towns/cities (population 40,000-90,000) in what appear to be physically beautiful but otherwise completely "undesirable" locations.

The woman in the smallest town actually is a solo heme/onc who kind of took over a practice after somebody kind of retired (but he interestingly and conveniently enough does locus in his own old practice to cover her vacations) and on top of that she practices as a general internist/PCP because it's so rural and she loves it but there is obviously no room for even a solo rad onc. The other two likewise said there is a tiny but well established rad onc group already but the small cities are growing rapidly so they may expand and hire soon.

I assume it's cut throat in Denver and the larger areas. Oh well, I guess this at least anecdotally confirms everything currently being discussed in this forum.

If anybody has addition information please respond to this thread or PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:
January 1, 2014 - a lot of people in every field started moving to Colorado. The real estate market in Denver is BOOMING.