Columbia Certificate to Pave the Way?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metaxzen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings all!

I was poking around and came across this certificate program at Columbia and I'm wondering if it makes sense as a way of preping for a PsyD or Clinical PhD program. (I'm that typical, awful undergrad but did fine in a Masters in Education guy with almost no research experience.)

"The course plan includes the same introductory, intermediate, and advanced psychology courses taken by Columbia's undergraduate psychology majors and provides essential research experience necessary for research-oriented Ph.D. programs in psychology. Psychology courses and research experience also serve as valuable preparation for Psy.D. programs and graduate degree programs in education, management, public health, and social work."

http://ce.columbia.edu/certificates/psychology-certificate

Reactions?
Warmly,
Anthony

Members don't see this ad.

I know some people that did it, and I believe that the experience was largely positive. I just think that there are other ways that you can do it, without Columbia prices (i.e., take courses at a public institution and get involved in a lab).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks somedaypsych - I work at Stony Brook University, I'm going to try and take a few of the prereqs there that I need and build a few relationships. Hopefully I'll get some direction!

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, great place to work! So much great research - I'm sure you could find an awesome lab!

Short answer: I did the Columbia program and found it worthwhile.

Long answer: I did the postbac program at Columbia and finished in 2013, been working at Columbia University Medical Center since then in a lab. The program is expensive, but good; a lot of the coursework is balanced around multiple areas, so there's not a specifically clinical focus. This is helpful if you're interested in doing research later on, and you'll make good connections to Columbia's labs. Alternatively, you can do a second BA program at Hunter College (their version of a postbac, you don't have to finish the program). One class at Columbia costs about as much as a semester at Hunter, so there's one difference. That said, the access at Columbia is nice. I was able to do research for 3 years before applying, got a number of publications, and diverse experience, also going to lots of conferences. I've got 7 interviews for PhD programs now, at high-mid and top tier schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Short answer: I did the Columbia program and found it worthwhile.

Long answer: I did the postbac program at Columbia and finished in 2013, been working at Columbia University Medical Center since then in a lab. The program is expensive, but good; a lot of the coursework is balanced around multiple areas, so there's not a specifically clinical focus. This is helpful if you're interested in doing research later on, and you'll make good connections to Columbia's labs. Alternatively, you can do a second BA program at Hunter College (their version of a postbac, you don't have to finish the program). One class at Columbia costs about as much as a semester at Hunter, so there's one difference. That said, the access at Columbia is nice. I was able to do research for 3 years before applying, got a number of publications, and diverse experience, also going to lots of conferences. I've got 7 interviews for PhD programs now, at high-mid and top tier schools.

Hi Laughingjosh! I realize this is a considerable time after your post but I am seriously considering the graduate certificate offered at Columbia in Psych. I have a masters in Mental health Counseling but went to a very clinically focused program and got little/basic research experience. I have been able to find a research volunteer job that seems promising, but, given my international student status, my visa would not allow me to complete more than 7 months at the lab in question. I am hoping I can try and get the lab to 'sponsor' my visa and work with them, but would you recommend this program as a back up plan? I am clearly interested in as much research exposure as possible, including working with faculty and conducting my own study with the hopes of getting published.

How realistic would you say this goal is given that most of the classes people on he graduate certificate program take are undergrad classes right?

I hope I hear from you and thanks in advance for any feedback.