"columbia, cornell, penn, harvard, hopkins, ucsf, stanford, … those are the plums…"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harmony2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
my neurology professor named about a dozen medicals schools and said : "those are the plums, all the other medical schools are the same."

do you agree with this statement ?

I was a little puzzled to say the least.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure he's done his homework and visited all 141 MD granting institutions. Certainly no bias here.

Reactions: 7 users
my neurology professor named about a dozen medicals schools and said : "those are the plums, all the other medical schools are the same."

do you agree with this statement ?
:rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just checked. He forgot banana

Reactions: 2 users
What about Pritzker? Vanderbilt? WashU? Washington? Duke? Are those all rotting apples?

Reactions: 1 users
F###! This is why I'm plum rejected from those schools. I'm so lucky one of the carrots saw value in me.

I'm personally aiming for the celery sticks, although the carrots are a close second.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm personally aiming for the celery sticks, although the carrots are a close second.
As long as you don't go to those overseas fertilizer schools, more power to you.

(btw, just realized your name and icon are perfect for this thread lol)

What the heck "plums" means?

What about Northwestern?! I think it's one of the top...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll take the canned pumpkin pie filling that has lost its label.

Reactions: 3 users
OMG, it's almost that time of the year too... F###ing prestigious pumpkin schools arrogantly showing off their orange pride.

Damnit I'm tired of peaches being left out! We're legit too!

Hmmm.... good question... it's quite the pickle... I want to know too!

Spill the beans man.
You'll have to ask Make or Break, he's the one who said it.

You'll have to ask Make or Break, he's the one who said it.
I think there is a reason why you decided Northwestern wasnt worthy of being a fruit salad and instead gave the title to UCSF.

So, Liberty?

Is this reference what I think it is?

EDIT: Deleted my contribution to this convo. I had been ignoring one of the combatants and so missed some salient details. I was still thinking about plums, not fruit salads. Jeesh! I'm going to have to unignore him just so I don't put my foot in my mouth by intruding in something I only see half of!

Last edited:
I think there is a reason why you decided Northwestern wasnt worthy of being a fruit salad and instead gave the title to UCSF.
Go ahead please tell us, then. Don't pussyfoot and be passive-aggressive now once you've lobbed a grenade.

Go ahead please tell us, then. Don't pussyfoot and be passive-aggressive now once you've lobbed a grenade.
Go ahead and consult Urban Dictionary for your reference. You will get a good amount of results and should be able to determine what a fruit salad is referring to. And honestly, I am not mad about anything. I was just joking around. Sheesh.

Go ahead and consult Urban Dictionary for your reference. You will get a good amount of results and should be able to determine what a fruit salad is referring to. And honestly, I am not mad about anything. I was just joking around. Sheesh.
Good backtracking on your part. I never said you were mad. You put disparate parts together and created a picture that wasn't true. Good job on seeing homophobia where it didn't exist.

Good backtracking on your part. I never said you were mad. You put disparate parts together and created a picture that wasn't true. Good job on seeing homophobia where it didn't exist.
lol u mad derm?

So then go ahead and explain what you meant then.

So then go ahead and explain what you meant then.
I was more referring to UCSF's curriculum in which they incorporate stupid **** (much of it pandering) in their basic science curriculum in the first 2 years. Maybe that's why their USMLE Step 1 average is so low.

To be fair, it did sound like you were alluding to a particular incident either at the school or something DermViser talked about, which involved fruit salad in some way. It really sounded like something happened, rather than just calling a school gay.

I was more referring to UCSF's curriculum in which they incorporate stupid **** (much of it pandering) in their basic science curriculum in the first 2 years. Maybe that's why their USMLE Step 1 average is so low.
Alright alright Derm. I'm sorry for thinking something that wasn't true. All it took was a little clarification. Thats all.

Damn, didn't expect my analogy to spiral into this...
Anyway, NW has a brand new musculoskeletal institute and it's affiliated with one of the top rehab hospitals in the country. Also, it's supposed to have a superb spine surgery department. Fruit salad to me!
FruitSalad_DT.jpg

Welp, that was fun while it lasted (starts putting dishes in the sink).

And which one of those schools did your professor attend?

And was he talking about plums in research and funding, or USMLE scores, or clinical exposure and practice, or community service, or match rate, or skill of physicians after graduation? Or maybe the average MCAT of accepted students, because we all know that a higher MCAT and a name school automatically guarantees that the student will be a MUCH more superior physician :))

I kid, I kid.