Columbia MSPH Admitted 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WHOdriscoll91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to start a thread for those admitted to Columbia's programs. (MSPH as in Mailmain School of Public Health not the degree abbreviation that I keep reading it as). Also posting their Admitted Students Site that I was recently made aware of.

http://publichealth.columbia.edu/welcome-admitted-students

MSPH is my top choice, still doing the money math, but I didn't choose a certificate when I applied. Was curious if anyone else had done the same and for those who did what made them choose that certificate?

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone else going to the March 6 Admitted Students Day?

I was accepted to the accelerated program in epidemiology, which doesn't have certificate options. I'm curious to meet other accelerated students... it has been described to me as a post-doctoral MPH but it looks like they do admit some people with a master's degree and 5 years of experience. I'm wondering what the student mix will be... mostly MDs? Mostly PhDs?

Reactions: 1 user

I was accepted to the accelerated program in epidemiology, which doesn't have certificate options. I'm curious to meet other accelerated students... it has been described to me as a post-doctoral MPH but it looks like they do admit some people with a master's degree and 5 years of experience. I'm wondering what the student mix will be... mostly MDs? Mostly PhDs?

I plan on going March 6th!

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey, I'll also be there on the 6th. I too got into the accelerated program but for Health Policy Management. As for the student demographics, only time will tell who's in the accelerated cohort but I'm under the impression it's mainly MDs. As for myself I'll be graduating law school come May - all you internet people will probably be able to figure out who I am as I doubt there will be many JDs in the mix.

I will be going on March 6th as well! Btw, has anyone ever heard of an admitted student lose their admission? I didn't do well last semester, but I passed all my classes. I'm emailing current students now, and they say not to worry about it. I'm still worried a little about it though

I will be there for the March 6th admitted students day. I got admitted in the SMS department. Columbia is my top choice too unless it turns out that I cannot afford it financially. Fingers crossed!

I chose the certificate in the Social Determinants of Health. I chose it because of my background in activism and my goals of focusing on social justice work. I anyways read a lot of structural analysis of various topics of seemed as a obvious choice. I was really tempted by some other certificates too though like History, Ethics, and Law, Health of an Aging Society, Health and Human Rights, Climate and Health, and Sexuality, Sexual, and Reproductive Health. I might change it later if possible and if my interests change. Who knows.

Hey, I'll also be there on the 6th. I too got into the accelerated program but for Health Policy Management. As for the student demographics, only time will tell who's in the accelerated cohort but I'm under the impression it's mainly MDs. As for myself I'll be graduating law school come May - all you internet people will probably be able to figure out who I am as I doubt there will be many JDs in the mix.

I was accepted into the Health Policy Management 1 year program too!!!! I have a buddy! I'm not a J.D. however, M.D. Look forward to seeing you all there on March 6th.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys know if Columbia has any travel funds for admitted students day?

I believe I saw somewhere on here say they asked and they didn't. Ill take a look in the big thread and see if I can find it.

They Don't unfortunately. They do have discounts on some hotels around the area though I believe. Somewhere on the website.

Hey everyone, I am going to the April 10th admitted students day. I got accepted to the MPH in Sociomedical Sciences. Would love to hear from anyone attending on the same day :)

I'll be attending the April 10th date as well! Really looking forward to it since I'm about 90% sure I'll be attending Columbia. I'm in for the HPM department. I'll probably be on the the younger attendees at 21.

I'll be attending the April 10th date as well! Really looking forward to it since I'm about 90% sure I'll be attending Columbia. I'm in for the HPM department. I'll probably be on the the younger attendees at 21.
I'll be at the March 6th day! But not to worry I'm 21 too! Although if I do go to Columbia which is my top choice I'll have just turned 22.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be there on March 6th! I got into the accelerated program for Health Policy and Management :) 23 year old MD from Mexico.

I'll be at the March 6th day! The first day of orientation (if it's the same schedule as last year just one day earlier) happens to be my 22nd birthday haha

I was accepted into the Health Policy Management 1 year program too!!!! I have a buddy! I'm not a J.D. however, M.D. Look forward to seeing you all there on March 6th.
Maybe I'll try to hang out with you accelerated HPM folks! A J.D., an M.D., and a Ph.D. walk into a bar...

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! Joining the thread as I am 95% sure I will attend :) I was accepted to the Population and Family Health dept. with a certificate in Global Health. Attending admitted students day on March 6th. Excited to meet those of you who plan to attend the same day.

Has anyone seen their financial aid packets yet? I know they are supposed to be sent out prior to admitted students day and I am anxious to see what kind of funding I get!

Hi everyone! Joining the thread as I am 95% sure I will attend :) I was accepted to the Population and Family Health dept. with a certificate in Global Health. Attending admitted students day on March 6th. Excited to meet those of you who plan to attend the same day.

Has anyone seen their financial aid packets yet? I know they are supposed to be sent out prior to admitted students day and I am anxious to see what kind of funding I get!

Not yet! I didn't know they were releasing them this early. Another thing to check my e-mail for.

Are the packets going to have both merit-based and need-based aid together then???
I believe so but don't quote me on that. I think I remember reading that on one of the financial aid virtual chat sessions

I believe so but don't quote me on that. I think I remember reading that on one of the financial aid virtual chat sessions
Thanks for the info! I had class during the financial aid virtual chat sessions, so I'm pretty clueless as to the timeline for when our aid packets are supposed to come. I hope the packets really do come in before admitted students day...

I feel like I saw that someone has posted on the big MPH thread that they had gotten a scholarship....

I feel like I saw that someone has posted on the big MPH thread that they had gotten a scholarship....

I saw that too. They have a master's degree already so I'm worried about my chances. Well, they're very low regardless. :p

Hey folks,

I'm part of SMS and Health Promo cert (was global health, but switched because of financial implications).

What are people thinking for housing? Do most incoming students pick on-campus (and are roommates random?) Know anyone who has/thinking about studio?

Hey folks,

I'm part of SMS and Health Promo cert (was global health, but switched because of financial implications).

What are people thinking for housing? Do most incoming students pick on-campus (and are roommates random?) Know anyone who has/thinking about studio?
I was going to do on campus housing, hopefully a studio! I think admitted students day has a housing session if you go

I'm e-mailing the financial aid office, and they said that everything is through e-mail...idk if its an actual financial aid officer though

Are you guys going to the diversity breakfast on March 6th?

Also, has anyone been able to find an Accepted Student/ Class of 2017 group on facebook?

I want to, but I can't find the RSVP link under the Events tab on Orgsync...
I plan to go as well but can't find the RSVP link either! Seems orgsync has been having some issues? Let me know if you end up finding it!

I was admitted for the MPH in Epi with a cert. in Infectious Disease Epi and will be attending the March 6th visit. I have a background in eco/evo and am interested in disease ecology. It was a tough choice between IDE and Climate Health, but the IDE courses seemed more relevant to what I want to do.

Regarding the breakfast, I emailed them and was told it was told the body of the message was a mistake. The email was for a breakfast (which they must have done in the past) but the event is the mixer. Thus, why we didn't receive an email about the mixer.

I was admitted for the MPH in Epi with a cert. in Infectious Disease Epi and will be attending the March 6th visit. I have a background in eco/evo and am interested in disease ecology. It was a tough choice between IDE and Climate Health, but the IDE courses seemed more relevant to what I want to do.

Regarding the breakfast, I emailed them and was told it was told the body of the message was a mistake. The email was for a breakfast (which they must have done in the past) but the event is the mixer. Thus, why we didn't receive an email about the mixer.

That makes so much more sense! I am registered for the mixer :) I'll stop hunting for the breakfast. Thanks for reaching out to them.

That makes so much more sense! I am registered for the mixer :) I'll stop hunting for the breakfast. Thanks for reaching out to them.
The admissions officer said that the breakfast is now the mixer haha. Has anyone's financial aid packet come in yet?

I may be having a blonde moment. Just to confirm, RSVPing for breakfast= RSVPing for the mixer? I don't remember getting any correspondence about a mixer.

Regarding the diversity breakfast:

I also emailed them about the breakfast and this was the initial reply:

"You should not be in the diversity breakfast group. I may have accidentally clicked on it by accident, realized my mistake and took corrected it. I’m sorry for the confusion."

then I asked why I wouldn't be in the group because I'm a minority and was curious as to how they identified and they responded with this:

"You weren’t part of the initial import, and I’m not sure what the criteria was. Needless to say I can look into it if you’d like but I don’t know if I can change anything. Will let you know. In the meantime, we have taken the news post down to avoid further confusion."

so I asked them to look into it because I wanted to know their criteria and got this:

"This probably has something to do with how you self-identified on your SOPHAS application. I really don’t know and don’t have time to do more research. I’ve given you access to the breakfast via the Events tab in OrgSync, so feel free to attend."

Last edited:

According the financial aid officer in their 'Financial Aid Chat,' most (if not all) merit scholarships have gone out. In order to be considered, you need a 3.70 GPA and you must score 90th percentile in all three GRE sections.

What is this mixer that everyone is talking about? I don't see anything under the "Events" tab on Orgsync except for Admitted Students Day and Financial Aid Chat Sessions. :shrug:

On a second note, have any of you received a schedule of what we will be doing on the Admitted Students Day?

What is this mixer that everyone is talking about? I don't see anything under the "Events" tab on Orgsync except for Admitted Students Day and Financial Aid Chat Sessions. :shrug:

On a second note, have any of you received a schedule of what we will be doing on the Admitted Students Day?
It might have closed because there were only a few spots left! I got an email with a document that had a schedule of what we're doing

It might have closed because there were only a few spots left! I got an email with a document that had a schedule of what we're doing

Thank you! That makes more sense. Man, it would've been awesome to have been able to register for the mixer.:grumpy:

Regarding the diversity breakfast:

I also emailed them about the breakfast and this was the initial reply:

"You should not be in the diversity breakfast group. I may have accidentally clicked on it by accident, realized my mistake and took corrected it. I’m sorry for the confusion."

then I asked why I wouldn't be in the group because I'm a minority and was curious as to how they identified and they responded with this:

"You weren’t part of the initial import, and I’m not sure what the criteria was. Needless to say I can look into it if you’d like but I don’t know if I can change anything. Will let you know. In the meantime, we have taken the news post down to avoid further confusion."

so I asked them to look into it because I wanted to know their criteria and got this:

"This probably has something to do with how you self-identified on your SOPHAS application. I really don’t know and don’t have time to do more research. I’ve given you access to the breakfast via the Events tab in OrgSync, so feel free to attend."

Now I'm confused...is there a diversity breakfast AND a mixer? Also, that's really the email chain?? That last response of theirs is kinda rude.

Now I'm confused...is there a diversity breakfast AND a mixer? Also, that's really the email chain?? That last response of theirs is kinda rude.
Yeah there's both the breakfast is before and the mixer is after. And yeah I thought so too. Tbh I haven't been too impressed with Columbia's communication. Even before I was accepted I found the people answering their phones to be sort of rude.
But Columbia is my dream school so I'm hoping that the visit day gets rid of any lingering concerns I have.

Yeah there's both the breakfast is before and the mixer is after. And yeah I thought so too. Tbh I haven't been too impressed with Columbia's communication. Even before I was accepted I found the people answering their phones to be sort of rude.
But Columbia is my dream school so I'm hoping that the visit day gets rid of any lingering concerns I have.

That's very weird - and what the heck are they talking about as far as self-identification? I'm sure you filled it in correctly! Seems like everyone got the diversity breakfast email, but, yeah, like others have said - can't access or see the event. I'm half-white, so I thought they revoked my invite. :D

That's very weird - and what the heck are they talking about as far as self-identification? I'm sure you filled it in correctly! Seems like everyone got the diversity breakfast email, but, yeah, like others have said - can't access or see the event. I'm half-white, so I thought they revoked my invite. :D
I have no idea! And there are people reserved so obviously they have a set criteria. I'm just wondering what that is...

Just paid my deposit!

Reactions: 2 users
For those who are going to admitted students day this Friday, do you know if we have to bring anything in particular?

For those who are going to admitted students day this Friday, do you know if we have to bring anything in particular?
I don't think so. Not that they have been very communicative.

I'm looking forward to meeting everybody on Friday. I went up to Mailman for an appointment today and have very mixed feelings about it based on what I've seen so far. But great cohort-mates can make a program!

I don't think so. Not that they have been very communicative.

I'm looking forward to meeting everybody on Friday. I went up to Mailman for an appointment today and have very mixed feelings about it based on what I've seen so far. But great cohort-mates can make a program!
Can I ask why you had mixed feelings?