Columbia MSPH Admitted 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can I ask why you had mixed feelings?
Please take what I say with a grain of salt as I have spent only a few hours there and I am at a different point in my career than many on this board. Mailman is undoubtedly an excellent public health school and deserves its reputation in the public health world. However, based on my conversations and observations, it felt a little like an MPH mill. Too many master's students, too little mentorship, and a blase attitude towards making public health education accessible. I did not have the impression I would want to spend much time there beyond class meetings or that there would be many opportunities for collaboration with cohorts or faculty.

It is entirely possible that this impression will be corrected during admitted students day and it is likely that my expectations are different from your average admitted student because I already have many years of research experience in a different field.

I'm interested in hearing others' experiences at MSPH... Other than reputation, what sets it apart to you?

Members don't see this ad.

Please take what I say with a grain of salt as I have spent only a few hours there and I am at a different point in my career than many on this board. Mailman is undoubtedly an excellent public health school and deserves its reputation in the public health world. However, based on my conversations and observations, it felt a little like an MPH mill. Too many master's students, too little mentorship, and a blase attitude towards making public health education accessible. I did not have the impression I would want to spend much time there beyond class meetings or that there would be many opportunities for collaboration with cohorts or faculty.

It is entirely possible that this impression will be corrected during admitted students day and it is likely that my expectations are different from your average admitted student because I already have many years of research experience in a different field.

I'm interested in hearing others' experiences at MSPH... Other than reputation, what sets it apart to you?

When you visited the school, who did you meet with? I am not able to go to either of the Admitted Study Days so I am thinking about visiting there myself on a random Monday. But I wonder if I can still meet with the faculty/advisor/current students, or who do I contact to get that information?

Ooh that's really interesting, thanks for that! These are definitely things I want to look out for at admitted students day.
And I'm not sure if you're asking me personally or just generally but either way I'll answer. I like Columbia for a couple of reasons:
1. Reputation- which you've mentioned so I won't rehash (also going to assume this includes Name/Ivy League status)
2. Location- from my research into public health schools, most of what I've seen recommends that you go where you want to work. I don't know that I want to work in NYC but I do think that most companies have offices in NYC and that I can find whatever I'm looking for in terms of jobs and internships in NYC.
3. Core- I've only spoken to two students so I don't know if this is the case for all or even if this is common amongst other schools, but both students said they really enjoyed the Core aspect of the curriculum and the ability to explore other options.
4. Professors- There was one professor in the HPM department (the one I was accepted into) who's work matched my research interests exactly. Unfortunately she has now moved to Harvard (which sidenote, if I get into Harvard puts points in their category). However, when I looked at professors backgrounds and connections, they seem really really well connected. I know it's one of the largest MPH programs, and that you might really need to put in the work to get facetime and work with professors, but I come from a large university so I'm used to doing that. And the professors seem to have the connections that can work for students in a major way.

Of the four things I listed above, the biggest reasons Columbia stands out to me over other schools are 1) Reputation followed by 2) Professors, and 3) Location. Although for me Reputation and Professors sort of go hand in hand although obviously that's not always the case.

I'm hoping that admitted students day will really help me decide and give me a feel for the school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I think for me, since I am in my last semester as an undergraduate student, Columbia is the best option because it is the start of my career. I have been emailing two current students, and they both say that the connections and networking part of Columbia make it a worthwhile experience. The first semester is pretty basic and boring, but once the department-specific and certificate courses start, they told me that they appreciated Columbia that much more. I am not sure which department you are going into, but one of the students told me that her experience with the SMS department has been amazing. She did warn me, however, that your experience at Columbia depends on each person's adviser and end goals. If you all want, I can ask her about faculty collaborations and research opportunities!

I think for me, since I am in my last semester as an undergraduate student, Columbia is the best option because it is the start of my career. I have been emailing two current students, and they both say that the connections and networking part of Columbia make it a worthwhile experience. The first semester is pretty basic and boring, but once the department-specific and certificate courses start, they told me that they appreciated Columbia that much more. I am not sure which department you are going into, but one of the students told me that her experience with the SMS department has been amazing. She did warn me, however, that your experience at Columbia depends on each person's adviser and end goals. If you all want, I can ask her about faculty collaborations and research opportunities!
Yes please!
Haha I feel like everyone on this thread has like one or two pieces of the puzzle and we have to put it all together lol

I have heard similar comments from three current students at Columbia as well. They all said that having a good advisor is very crucial (one of them did not like her advisor).

I have heard similar comments from three current students at Columbia as well. They all said that having a good advisor is very crucial (one of them did not like her advisor).

Just to make sure, our adviser is a professor from our department who is assigned to us right??? I never even heard about the advisers until the current students told me about them

Are you guys going business casual for admitted students day or just wearing whatever (read: jeans and a sweater)?

Are you guys going business casual for admitted students day or just wearing whatever (read: jeans and a sweater)?
I'm going business casual. Just because my general sense of the HPM department (my dept) is that they are more business oriented so that's what they would be expecting.

I'm going business casual. Just because my general sense of the HPM department (my dept) is that they are more business oriented so that's what they would be expecting.

also in for HPM - Jeans and a sweater for me. It's student admit day, not a recruiting session with potential employers.

The admissions officer said that in her experience half are business casual and half are in jeans

also in for HPM - Jeans and a sweater for me. It's student admit day, not a recruiting session with potential employers.
Cool and that's your choice just like wearing business casual is my choice and I offered my reasons why I'm doing so. No need to get snippy.

So I received an OrgSync welcome email on Friday--this was how I learned I was accepted. Was this everyone's first acceptance communication from MSPH or should I have received another email first?

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool and that's your choice just like wearing business casual is my choice and I offered my reasons why I'm doing so. No need to get snippy.
It's a student admit day, not a recruiting session.

So I received an OrgSync welcome email on Friday--this was how I learned I was accepted. Was this everyone's first acceptance communication from MSPH or should I have received another email first?
Congrats! I got an email first through SOPHAS and then I received the OrgSync email.
It's a student admit day, not a recruiting session.
Wearing business casual is my choice. I was responding to a question someone had asked about what people are wearing. I'm not sure what the point of your comment is.

Looking forward to meeting you all soon! I will also be meeting with three professors on Thursday too so I will later update you all about how it went later in the week.

I will be wearing just jeans, snow boots, sweater and jacket. Although I am not sure why some are chiding on the person above Mr for preferring business casual. We all have our habitus and comforts. Let's try to be congenial to our fellow colleagues.

Reactions: 3 users
Is there another supplement form that is needed besides the FAFSA?

Hi all - Just found this thread. I will be there on Friday and have not yet received financial aid info.

So is everyone pretty set on Columbia? They will be $30k more than WashU just in tuition, then probably 2-3x the cost of living, so it's a really hefty price tag plus I am considering going onto medical school...

Hi all - Just found this thread. I will be there on Friday and have not yet received financial aid info.

So is everyone pretty set on Columbia? They will be $30k more than WashU just in tuition, then probably 2-3x the cost of living, so it's a really hefty price tag plus I am considering going onto medical school...

I'll be there on Friday but I haven't decided yet, I might choose Harvard instead.

I'll be there on Friday but I haven't decided yet, I might choose Harvard instead.
Well yes, if you got into Harvard I would say definitely choose Harvard. Unfortunately I'm not in that predicament at this time... But hopefully I will be ;)

Just an FYI incase some of you didn't read it on the larger Accepted, Rejected, Waitlisted thread- Columbia is trying to send out the Financial aid packets before admitted students day on Friday but they are having some technical issues so no guarantee. I am meeting with a financial aid officer on Thursday and if I don't receive my packet by then I hope that they can pull it up somehow so we can go over it. Just wanted to loop you all in!

If any of those who are attending March 6th ( admitted students' day) who are in the HPM could share their thoughts about the program, faculty, and students afterwards I would greatly appreciate it. I'm attending the April 10th session, but it is cutting it close to our April 15th decision deadline. Please and thank you :)

If any of those who are attending March 6th ( admitted students' day) who are in the HPM could share their thoughts about the program, faculty, and students afterwards I would greatly appreciate it. I'm attending the April 10th session, but it is cutting it close to our April 15th decision deadline. Please and thank you :)

Same here. Please share your experience at the admitted student day. :)

Did you just get this e-mail about the virtual campus tour in lieu of an actual tour on their admitted students day? Barring how I feel about that, do you see the video link under "More"? I can't find it...

Yah that virtual tour is kind of making me laugh seeing how well they've been doing with other technical stuff.

It also semi-verifies my concern they are packing the program. When they literally can't hold tours due to the size of the admitted class. Even with the barrier of having to travel to one of the most expensive cities in the world.

Yah that virtual tour is kind of making me laugh seeing how well they've been doing with other technical stuff.

It also semi-verifies my concern they are packing the program. When they literally can't hold tours due to the size of the admitted class. Even with the barrier of having to travel to one of the most expensive cities in the world.
Agreed. Starting to get very skeptical about their masters programs. I'm sure the story is entirely different at the doctoral level. I'm starting to suspect maybe they are using the MPH for research funds. Which, granted, a lot of schools do that, but I also want to make sure I'm getting the level of service I'm paying for.

For people going to Columbia tomorrow - Do you know how to view what time you signed up for the financial aid meeting? I went back into the doodle doc and it is now closed. Didn't write it down because I assumed I could go back in and/or would get a confirm. E-mail financial aid and they replied, with blatant grammatical errors, that my appointment is at the time I signed up for. SUPER helpful. ;)

I don't think so. Not that they have been very communicative.

I'm looking forward to meeting everybody on Friday. I went up to Mailman for an appointment today and have very mixed feelings about it based on what I've seen so far. But great cohort-mates can make a program!

Exactly! I'm very shy when it comes to introducing myself and meeting new people, so having nice people to be in school with is a must...or i'll just be that guy facing the corner with a single tear slowing rolling down my face. I've never been to Columbia's health center area, so it's going to be an exciting day tomorrow.

--> We don't have to bring anything tomorrow. The emails I received didn't say anything about that. We just have to bring ourselves.

my bus from boston to port authority was canceled for tonight so i just had to buy a $75 train ticket :) i hate this winter. going to the harvard thread to tell everyone they are insane to move here.

For people going to Columbia tomorrow - Do you know how to view what time you signed up for the financial aid meeting? I went back into the doodle doc and it is now closed. Didn't write it down because I assumed I could go back in and/or would get a confirm. E-mail financial aid and they replied, with blatant grammatical errors, that my appointment is at the time I signed up for. SUPER helpful. ;)

How did you guys sign up for a fin aid session?

Welp, no way to get to NYC in time now that the airports closed. Please do share your experience if you can make it! WashU's admitted students weekend is the same as Columbia's 2nd, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it in time.

Just got a merit award for Columbia! Though I half think it is an error. Just waiting for a follow up email with a mistake.

Reactions: 2 users
Did you meet their gpa and GRE requirement (3.7+ and 90th percentile or higher on all sections)? Did you get your financial aid email? Also, congrats!

Just got a merit award for Columbia! Though I half think it is an error. Just waiting for a follow up email with a mistake.

I'm feeling the same way! I wasn't close on my GRE quant at all and also below the GPA cutoff. Maybe it is a second round with different selection criteria?

Did you meet their gpa and GRE requirement (3.7+ and 90th percentile or higher on all sections)? Did you get your financial aid email? Also, congrats!

GPA yes. But, nope to the GRE and Financial aid.

I'm feeling the same way! I wasn't close on my GRE quant at all and also below the GPA cutoff. Maybe it is a second round with different selection criteria?

With how their system has been so far I wouldn't be surprised to see a second OOPS! email.

I was really hoping they'd manage to send us our finaid info before tomorrow. Alas, that hasn't happened.

Got financial award too even though I didn't meet their GRE Quant requirement. Although I don't think it's an error as I met with the administration officer today and he told me I should expect to get one.

Hi all, would be grateful for everyone attending admitted students day today to share their thoughts, especially people doing Epi/Global Health. If they give you any helpful update on the fin aid situation would also be grateful for that! Hope it's a good day.

Hi everyone, and congrats on our acceptances :) I wanted to get involved in this discussion as I will be unable to attend either of the Admitted Student Days and would love to hear feedback from people on various topics...

I was accepted to the one-year accelerated MPH (Population and Family Health). Today I received an email notifying me of $15,000 Merit Award. Why do some people think these emails were a mistake? I hope not! Also, is it possible to get additional scholarships, and when will we hear about loan eligibility? It's interesting to read what people heard about GPA and GRE cut-offs - I don't think I have either of these, but I do have a previous Masters degree and over 5 years of work experience in international development. Does anyone know the average scholarship amount?

Also, are there any other people out there for the accelerated MPH? I am curious to know people's backgrounds, etc. I also got into Harvard, but so far no scholarships, and I think I will have a hard time deciding between the two. Anyone else in a similar position? Of course Harvard is Harvard, but I like Columbia's focus on global health and have long been interested in many of their initiatives in maternal and reproductive health. Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Hi everyone, and congrats on our acceptances :) I wanted to get involved in this discussion as I will be unable to attend either of the Admitted Student Days and would love to hear feedback from people on various topics...

I was accepted to the one-year accelerated MPH (Population and Family Health). Today I received an email notifying me of $15,000 Merit Award. Why do some people think these emails were a mistake? I hope not! Also, is it possible to get additional scholarships, and when will we hear about loan eligibility? It's interesting to read what people heard about GPA and GRE cut-offs - I don't think I have either of these, but I do have a previous Masters degree and over 5 years of work experience in international development. Does anyone know the average scholarship amount?

Also, are there any other people out there for the accelerated MPH? I am curious to know people's backgrounds, etc. I also got into Harvard, but so far no scholarships, and I think I will have a hard time deciding between the two. Anyone else in a similar position? Of course Harvard is Harvard, but I like Columbia's focus on global health and have long been interested in many of their initiatives in maternal and reproductive health. Any advice would be much appreciated!!
I'm on my way to admitted students day right now! A little late, but I'll be there. My fear my merit scholarship was given out in error comes from the financial aid chat where they said the GRE cut off was the 90th percentile in all subjects. If I scored that high I would have tattooed it to my arm.

Reactions: 1 users

If I were you I would go to Harvard. I've always wanted to go to Harvard. Harvard is outstanding. Every person I have interacted with at Harvard and in the SPH has been extremely friendly and professional. They have perhaps the best reputation of any school in the world and with good reason. They have outstanding resources and going to Harvard will open up opportunities I can't begin to imagine. Plus, I love Boston if you are picking between Boston and NYC. I love that it has all of the benefits of a big city, including public transportation, but I still feel much safer in Boston and especially Cambridge. I just love everything about it.

THAT BEING SAID... That is me and my idealistic thinking. Columbia will give you plenty of opportunities and a great education. Depending on your future plans, saving $25k (the difference in cost + scholarship) may be really important. Boston is less expensive than NYC but still very expensive, depending on where you're from. So if you wanted to do the math including cost of living and subtract that from the $25k, you'd be able to tell the principal you are actually saving. But, my main gripe with Columbia is that the people there have been rude, taken a long time to respond to e-mails, and seem to be on a learning curve with technology. I understand that Columbia has some amazing faculty and programs that are very relevant to what I want to do, but if I can't get the admin people to give me leads and put me in touch with the right people and answer my questions, then none of that matters.

This is one of those situations where you really can't go wrong, but consider what's really best for you. Do your research to see which school has a more abundant amount of opportunities available to you and how likely you are to be able to have one of those opportunities. Make a decision as if money was not an issue at all, then make a decision considering the money, then evaluate.

So how did it go today?

So how did it go today?

Just leaving.

Good: 1. In person everyone is a lot nicer and extremely helpful. Especially the director of financial aid.

2. Students had good things to say about obtaining practicums and their about their job hunt. ( this was at the mixer so I'm assuming they were being a little more truthful)

3. You really get a sense of how many opportunities the program and city offer by actually being there.

Bad:
1. Faculty lunch was disappointing only one prof at our table seemed happy to be there.

2. I believe this is their largest class yet. However, when they split it up by program, departments, and certificates it does make the group you'll be with feel bit smaller.

Any specific questions about the day is be happy to answer or forward them to the student contact info I now have.

Reactions: 1 users