Columbia MSPH Admitted 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone else contacted professors about research? I have a phone interview with one next week about her research and was wondering how others have gone so far!
I can't quite figure out how to approach professors & ask. How did you do it?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just emailed about 10 professors and three happened to respond!

Are you planning to do research with a professor in the fall?

I thought about reaching out to professors but some current students told me that I should wait until I have more quantitative skills, so like the second semester or second year.

Has anyone started thinking about looking for apartments yet?

I'm looking just for fun right now to get an idea of cost. I think it's too early to really look and committ to a place but I'm thinking of finding other Columbia students and go in on a 3-4 bedroom apartment. Anyone know how much the on campus housing is?

Has anyone started thinking about looking for apartments yet?

I'm looking just for fun right now to get an idea of cost. I think it's too early to really look and committ to a place but I'm thinking of finding other Columbia students and go in on a 3-4 bedroom apartment. Anyone know how much the on campus housing is?

Are you planning to do research with a professor in the fall?

I thought about reaching out to professors but some current students told me that I should wait until I have more quantitative skills, so like the second semester or second year.

I was planning on asking the professor exactly what skills I should develop. I like her research topics as well, so just getting exposure to any professor's research is always helpful for me!

I think it ranges from 750-1250 per person per month?

I was planning on asking the professor exactly what skills I should develop. I like her research topics as well, so just getting exposure to any professor's research is always helpful for me!
That is a good idea. That's great that the professors replied your email!

That is a good idea. That's great that the professors replied your email!

Thanks! Most didn't respond though, and the one who I am talking to this next week took about 2-3 weeks to respond. They seemed to be extremely busy for the past 2-3 weeks because once we started emailing back and forth, her responses were extremely quick and prompt.

Is anyone thinking about switching certificates? I'm in the child, youth, and family health certificate but for practical purposes, I'm thinking of switching

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone thinking about switching certificates? I'm in the child, youth, and family health certificate but for practical purposes, I'm thinking of switching
I am thinking about switching department. I think certificate is easy to switch.

I am thinking about switching department. I think certificate is easy to switch.

If we switch departments, do you know when we're recommended to switch? I took epi in college, but because of the professor and book, I didn't like it. I'm wondering, though, if my opinion will change at Columbia so I'm thinking about that too

If we switch departments, do you know when we're recommended to switch? I took epi in college, but because of the professor and book, I didn't like it. I'm wondering, though, if my opinion will change at Columbia so I'm thinking about that too

I am planning to ask that question during the admitted day on April 10th. A current student told me that I can do it anytime during the first semester, but probably the earlier the better I guess.

I ended up switching from SMS to HPM a few days ago. I've heard that it's not too bad to switch into Epi, Pop Fam, etc. before, during, or right after the first semester of Core. It's a bit harder for HPM since they take slightly different classes in the first semester and they made me write a new personal statement and essentially reapply to Mailman - unsure if that's the process for every department transfer.

Quick Question... Was there anyone on this forum who was on the waiting list for HPM who got off of it that I may speak too privately?

I ended up switching from SMS to HPM a few days ago. I've heard that it's not too bad to switch into Epi, Pop Fam, etc. before, during, or right after the first semester of Core. It's a bit harder for HPM since they take slightly different classes in the first semester and they made me write a new personal statement and essentially reapply to Mailman - unsure if that's the process for every department transfer.

Did you contact the HPM to process the switch? I am confused that if I want to switch from SMS to Epi, which department (and person) do I talk to?

I was thinking the same thing. Get a few girls together and go in on an apartment. I'm sure it would be cheaper. I've been told it's ideal to live super close, ideally on the side closer to the water. I"m hoping to live no farther than 2-3 blocks away.

Anyone know what the housing is like at the Bard-Haven towers? And the studios at 154?

Hi! Ive been at Columbia for another program and Ive lived in some of this housing or at least visited and Ill give you my impressions.

Bard housing -- Single room comes furnished with a twin bed, desk, and dresser. Some rooms have sinks some dont. You share the bathroom with your floor and its the cheapest option. Kind of like dorm living but you don't share the room with anyone.

Towers- its either couples housing (1 bedroom) or sharing an apartment (2 bedroom or 3 bedroom). You would have your own room and each room can fit at least a full bed. I feel the rooms are large, the kitchen is spacious, and the bathroom is private. The views of the Hudson are incredible. They do offer single studios in Towers but they are expensive (nice though! You get a full sized kitchen, bathroom, a lot of storage)

154 Haven- These studios are tiny and its the furthest walk from Mailman. They have a kitchenette (no oven). You have your own bathroom. I honestly did not like these rooms and how they were set up. However, if you absolutely do not want to share a space with someone, want your own bathroom, and need the cheapest on campus studio, this would be your best bet. Everyone I knew that had lived at 154 has moved out. Its not very homey or spacious.

Georgian-- Ive only visited studious here but theyre nice. Full kitchen and bathroom. Right across from Columbia Presbyterian and closest to the subway. Downside to this is you will hear the sirens from the ambulances often. Theyre pricier than 154 Studios but cheaper than studios at Towers.

You definitely could find a cheaper option in the Heights but the upside of campus housing is having security/doorman and someone who can accept packages for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi! Ive been at Columbia for another program and Ive lived in some of this housing or at least visited and Ill give you my impressions.

Bard housing -- Single room comes furnished with a twin bed, desk, and dresser. Some rooms have sinks some dont. You share the bathroom with your floor and its the cheapest option. Kind of like dorm living but you don't share the room with anyone.

Towers- its either couples housing (1 bedroom) or sharing an apartment (2 bedroom or 3 bedroom). You would have your own room and each room can fit at least a full bed. I feel the rooms are large, the kitchen is spacious, and the bathroom is private. The views of the Hudson are incredible. They do offer single studios in Towers but they are expensive (nice though! You get a full sized kitchen, bathroom, a lot of storage)

154 Haven- These studios are tiny and its the furthest walk from Mailman. They have a kitchenette (no oven). You have your own bathroom. I honestly did not like these rooms and how they were set up. However, if you absolutely do not want to share a space with someone, want your own bathroom, and need the cheapest on campus studio, this would be your best bet. Everyone I knew that had lived at 154 has moved out. Its not very homey or spacious.

Georgian-- Ive only visited studious here but theyre nice. Full kitchen and bathroom. Right across from Columbia Presbyterian and closest to the subway. Downside to this is you will hear the sirens from the ambulances often. Theyre pricier than 154 Studios but cheaper than studios at Towers.

You definitely could find a cheaper option in the Heights but the upside of campus housing is having security/doorman and someone who can accept packages for you.

This is incredible thanks so much!!!
I am confused about the housing application and how exactly it works to rank? It seems like there are three separate areas to rank?

I was thinking the same thing. Get a few girls together and go in on an apartment. I'm sure it would be cheaper. I've been told it's ideal to live super close, ideally on the side closer to the water. I"m hoping to live no farther than 2-3 blocks away.
Same here! I think this is a perfect idea. It would definitely cut down living expenses & you won't be confined to dorm living.

Does anyone know if most current students at Mailman hold a part-time position while going to school? I know they do not recommend students to work in the first semester, but I am curious to know if it is possible at all to find a part-time research position or public health internship during the second semester?

I personally would like get some work experience while at grad school.

Does anyone know if most current students at Mailman hold a part-time position while going to school? I know they do not recommend students to work in the first semester, but I am curious to know if it is possible at all to find a part-time research position or public health internship during the second semester?

I personally would like get some work experience while at grad school.
Hi! I am a first year at MSPH and I am able to work 15 hrs a week and volunteer weekly, it is definitely doable!!

Also, it is possible to change departments and certificates once at MSPH.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I am a first year at MSPH and I am able to work 15 hrs a week and volunteer weekly, it is definitely doable!!

Good luck!

Thanks so much! But is it possible to work/volunteer at all during the first semester? Could you share your thoughts and experience about Mailman?

Paid my deposit! Will be seeing some (all?) of you in the fall!

Reactions: 1 users

Good luck!

Are there any on campus positions in places like the library? I would like to work even if it is not necessarily public health related after my first semester!

Recently learned that the $500 fee is not a deposit (in that you don't get it back later/or applied towards COA) but just a straight up fee. Is this different from other schools? I know other schools phrase it as a deposit..

Recently learned that the $500 fee is not a deposit (in that you don't get it back later/or applied towards COA) but just a straight up fee. Is this different from other schools? I know other schools phrase it as a deposit..

Hmmm I have always thought that it is an non-refundable deposit for any school. Which school do you know that is not the case?

Hey all, so I asked Columbia to match my AmeriCorps Edu award. They never confirmed with me they would, though the FA director originally said yes, they only asked for a letter confirming my status; however, yesterday I received a notice my FA award letter was revised. The revision was a $5k financial need award which is close to the $5,600 Edu award AmeriCorps gives out. Do you think that update was them matching my award and being non-communicative, or an actual financial need update due to my FAFSA?

Hey all, so I asked Columbia to match my AmeriCorps Edu award. They never confirmed with me they would, though the FA director originally said yes, they only asked for a letter confirming my status; however, yesterday I received a notice my FA award letter was revised. The revision was a $5k financial need award which is close to the $5,600 Edu award AmeriCorps gives out. Do you think that update was them matching my award and being non-communicative, or an actual financial need update due to my FAFSA?
My guess is that the revision is them matching and failing to communicate. Columbia does not meet FAFSA-based financial need for most who don't receive merit aid, so I doubt they would be just giving you a need-based grant at this point because of your FAFSA estimate.

My guess is that the revision is them matching and failing to communicate. Columbia does not meet FAFSA-based financial need for most who don't receive merit aid, so I doubt they would be just giving you a need-based grant at this point because of your FAFSA estimate.

Yah, what I thought. Maybe I'm just getting greedy and hoping for another few grand to come my way.

Yah, what I thought. Maybe I'm just getting greedy and hoping for another few grand to come my way.
I don't think that's greedy at all--even with aid it's a huge investment for a career that will likely never generate a high salary. You deserve as much aid as you can get and probably more! That said, Columbia's failure to value equitable access to MPH training for people with need is one of the reasons I've decided not to go there. As someone who works in higher education, I'm really disturbed by the "Admit them all and let their bank accounts or tolerance for unsubsidized debt sort it out!" attitude I see towards those who didn't receive merit aid. They've clearly decided to put most of their grant resources towards merit aid instead of need-based aid, which has the capacity to replicate all kinds of disparities.

Reactions: 1 user

Hmm...I sent them an email about it this fee and urged them to change their policy on it. It's unfair that it's not an enrollment deposit and it is not listed as an MPH Tuition Cost in our award letters or the website. It's now considered an unexpected and mandatory expense. I suggest those who plan on going to Columbia in the fall send them an email and urge them to reconsider the policy. It doesn't hurt to try.

Reactions: 1 user
I just found this thread today :p
Hello!! I'm an international student from Taiwan and I'll be in the EHS department with a certificate in molecular epi~ Any classmates??
It's a shame that I can't make it to any new comers events since I live so far away...

Oh, and I would like to know if any of you are applying for on-campus housings?
I'd like to know more about the housing informations... and start thinking about my preferences!

Nice to meet all of you guys :)

Hello, what is the "sign up code" when I want to sign up for Columbia's housing?

I just found this thread today :p
Hello!! I'm an international student from Taiwan and I'll be in the EHS department with a certificate in molecular epi~ Any classmates??
It's a shame that I can't make it to any new comers events since I live so far away...

Oh, and I would like to know if any of you are applying for on-campus housings?
I'd like to know more about the housing informations... and start thinking about my
preferences!

Nice to meet all of you guys :)

Nice to meet you too! ; another user posted their experience with housing in an earlier post; your best bet would be to call the housing department people directly and have a nice long phone conversation with them; since you're an international student; you will get 1st dibs on housing, as per what the lady said on admitted students day.

Columbia has approved my deferral. Good luck to all of you starting in the fall!

Is anyone applying for housing today?
I am!
I started looking into on-campus housing a while ago, and I think I'll start filling in the form tomorrow after I've gone through all the pros and cons again...
How about you?

Yes, I am! I'm going to call the housing office today to go over the application with them because the rating part of the application is not very straightforward.

Did you guys recieve housing information? I did not get any email regarding housing information. I have not attended admitted student day...can some one explain to me about oncampus housing please?

Did you guys recieve housing information? I did not get any email regarding housing information. I have not attended admitted student day...can some one explain to me about oncampus housing please?
The first day to turn in the on-campus housing application was April 15. First priority is given to international students. Second priority is based on the distance of your permanent address from the Columbia school. Last priority goes to those from New York. I suggest you turn in the application ASAP because it looks like a lot of people already turned theirs in. They also said that we will be notified about our placement in mid-June

The first day to turn in the on-campus housing application was April 15. First priority is given to international students. Second priority is based on the distance of your permanent address from the Columbia school. Last priority goes to those from New York. I suggest you turn in the application ASAP because it looks like a lot of people already turned theirs in. They also said that we will be notified about our placement in mid-June
Where does one get a sign up code?

I never got a sign up code :oops:
I just filled out the form on the housing website and turned it in
Maybe, I'm trying to do the wrong thing. I'd hate to be annoying, but could you send me the link where you signed up?

Thank you! I'll turn in the application now.