MPH Columbia MSPH Fall 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

labrat_neuro91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your acceptances!! :soexcited:

Now the hard part begins.. deciding where to attend!! This thread is for those who've (almost) decided on attending Columbia for their PH program to ask questions and/or share experiences about the specific program, Mailman or living in NYC in general. And it'd be great if current students and alumni could share the experiences they have at Columbia and why they chose it over other schools.

Also, this is the Facebook group for the entering class of Fall 2014: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1428732287370831/

Good luck everyone!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm in! More than a little apprehensive about the cost though. I've looked at all of last year's thread, and it seems like if you don't get a big merit scholarship there is mostly only loans that don't cover tuition. If I can find some way to pay for it, a Columbia education would be an incredible opportunity, but as for now I'm up in the air between Columbia, Emory, and Yale (provided that I even get in to Yale!).

Haha.. I, too, am deciding between Emory and Columbia (MSPH GELPI and MPH Epi, respectively), but leaning heavily towards Columbia. Fortunately, cost isn't too much of an issue for me; I'm mostly concerned about the work and research opportunities that Mailman provides to its students. Though Columbia has great resources and world-renowned faculty, the main question is how accessible they are to the students? It'd be great to hear opinions from current students on this!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any ideas when we should be hearing back from financial aid? They still haven't asked us to fill out the institutional and supplemental application yet -- only the survey so far.

I just emailed them yesterday about financial aid & the supplemental application (which we need an ID # to do).

They said this:

"At this time only the 2014-2015 FAFSA can be completed. Even though the hard deadline of February 1st has passed we are still accepting FAFSA applications. If you did not submit the FAFSA by February 1st please submit it as soon as possible. While parental information is not required if you are 24 years of age or older and have established steady income, if you are younger or do not have steady income it is suggested you submit the information for scholarships that require this information. The 2014-2015 supplemental application is not yet available. If and when it becomes available you will only be able to access it with a CUID# which is given to you if you are admitted to the Mailman School of Public Health. Merit scholarships are still being determined at this time. If you are a recipient you will be notified via email. Other forms of financial aid such as need based aid and federal loans will be packaged based on eligibility. We anticipate packaging students in the next couple of weeks. You will receive notification of your award prior to the April 15th deadline. "

So it looks like we have a bit of waiting ahead of us. However, I've seen a few people posting around that they got emails about large merit scholarships already, soon after their acceptance. Makes me a little nervous that I haven't heard anything yet.

labrat_neuro91, you are one lucky guy that fiances aren't the biggest issue! Thats honestly what will probably end up deciding things for me. I've heard that you have to put in some legwork to get good contact with Columbia faculty, but that it's definitely not impossible.

I just emailed them yesterday about financial aid & the supplemental application (which we need an ID # to do).

They said this:

"At this time only the 2014-2015 FAFSA can be completed. Even though the hard deadline of February 1st has passed we are still accepting FAFSA applications. If you did not submit the FAFSA by February 1st please submit it as soon as possible. While parental information is not required if you are 24 years of age or older and have established steady income, if you are younger or do not have steady income it is suggested you submit the information for scholarships that require this information. The 2014-2015 supplemental application is not yet available. If and when it becomes available you will only be able to access it with a CUID# which is given to you if you are admitted to the Mailman School of Public Health. Merit scholarships are still being determined at this time. If you are a recipient you will be notified via email. Other forms of financial aid such as need based aid and federal loans will be packaged based on eligibility. We anticipate packaging students in the next couple of weeks. You will receive notification of your award prior to the April 15th deadline. "

So it looks like we have a bit of waiting ahead of us. However, I've seen a few people posting around that they got emails about large merit scholarships already, soon after their acceptance. Makes me a little nervous that I haven't heard anything yet.

labrat_neuro91, you are one lucky guy that fiances aren't the biggest issue! Thats honestly what will probably end up deciding things for me. I've heard that you have to put in some legwork to get good contact with Columbia faculty, but that it's definitely not impossible.

I feel like you have to put in some legwork to get good contact anywhere regardless of the school haha. What program are you in at Columbia and Emory?

Haha that's definitely true.. I mean it is a grad school after all. I'm in at HPM, health policy. You?

Reactions: 1 user
Epi with ID conc., but I think I'm going to try to switch my certificate to Molecular Epi. I think ME would be more helpful if I try to get into a PhD program or med school afterwards.

I'm also in for HPM! Columbia has been my dream school for as long as I can remember...and I really like the Mailman curriculum, but the cost of an MPH from Columbia is extremely daunting. I was so sure about attending Mailman, but now I don't know. Right now I'm torn between UCLA, Columbia, and Michigan (assuming I get in, interview is scheduled for mid-March).

Here's hoping that there are still some big merit scholarships out there for the rest of us!! :blackeye::greedy:

Last edited:
I'm also in for HPM! Columbia has been my dream school for as long as I can remember...and I really like the Mailman curriculum, but the cost of an MPH from Columbia is extremely daunting. I was so sure about attending Mailman, but now I don't know. Right now I'm torn between UCLA, Columbia, and Michigan (assuming I get in, interview is schedule for mid-March).

Here's hoping that there are still some big merit scholarships out there for the rest of us!! :blackeye::greedy:
I'm in the same position as you, sans Ucla (went there for undergrad, not my first choice to go back). The decision between Michigan and Columbia is definitely a tough one. I've always wanted to go to Columbia also... I've been losing sleep over it haha.

What are you leaning towards?

I'm in the same position as you, sans Ucla (went there for undergrad, not my first choice to go back). The decision between Michigan and Columbia is definitely a tough one. I've always wanted to go to Columbia also... I've been losing sleep over it haha.

What are you leaning towards?

Looks like we have quite a bit in common. I went to UCLA for undergrad as well. GO BRUINS!

I don't really want to go back to UCLA for grad school, but I've kept UCLA as an option because of money. I've heard they're generous with their financial aid packages and we'd get in-state tuition, etc. Since I plan on going to med school after getting my MPH, the less debt I accumulate now, the better.

I'm leaning towards Columbia right now. The location, the prestige of an ivy, the *I FINALLY MADE IT!* feeling are all very hard to ignore, haha. I'm keeping an open mind though. I've heard only good things about Ann Arbor. Everyone who's been there seems to enjoy the school and they have a great HMP program, but I don't know if my body can handle the cold...:scared:

What about you? What are you leaning towards? Are you going to Columbia's Admit Day?

Last edited:
Looks like we have quite a bit in common. I went to UCLA for undergrad as well. GO BRUINS!

I don't really want to go back to UCLA for grad school, but I've kept UCLA as an option because of money. I've heard they're generous with their financial aid packages and we'd get in-state tuition, etc. Since I plan on going to med school after getting my MPH, the less debt I accumulate now, the better.

I'm leaning towards Columbia right now. The location, the prestige of an ivy, the *I FINALLY MADE IT!* feeling are all very hard to ignore, haha. I'm keeping an open mind though. I've heard only good things about Ann Arbor. Everyone who's been there seems to enjoy the school and they have a great HMP program, but I don't know if my body can handle the cold...:scared:

What about you? What are you leaning towards? Are you going to Columbia's Admit Day?

yay for Columbia! haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha.. I, too, am deciding between Emory and Columbia (MSPH GELPI and MPH Epi, respectively), but leaning heavily towards Columbia. Fortunately, cost isn't too much of an issue for me; I'm mostly concerned about the work and research opportunities that Mailman provides to its students. Though Columbia has great resources and world-renowned faculty, the main question is how accessible they are to the students? It'd be great to hear opinions from current students on this!

Why Emory? Just curious. You're lucky that cost isn't an issue! As soon as I was given my FA package (all loans) I quickly lost interest. :oops:

Not going to lie, the fancy leather padfolio they sent out was a nice touch.

Why Emory? Just curious. You're lucky that cost isn't an issue! As soon as I was given my FA package (all loans) I quickly lost interest. :oops:

Haha I was thinking the same thing! I hope Columbia wouldn't mind if I show up with a leather Emory binder ;).

Also dp890 - nice to meet another health policy kid! And one from So Cal too, no less (I'm San Diegan, born and bred). What made Columbia your dream school originally, and what cons besides the cost are you considering?

Reactions: 1 users

Emory has a lot of resources and connections that students have access to. And I've found that there are many professors, both at Rollins and their medical school, are doing research in topics align with my interests (infectious disease). With that being said, Columbia also has all of the things that I just mentioned. But it requires a little more work to get in touch with the faculty there lol.

Very nice to see somebody with such similar interests! I can definitely see how a decent financial aid package and in-state tuition would make UCLA compelling but I definitely see the draw of Columbia. I feel the same way.

I didn't enjoy Ann Arbor that much when I visited, but I definitely attribute that to the cold (it was like 4 degrees when I was there?!)... so I don't know if I can handle the cold either. Everything else I've been hearing about Michigan is amazing.

I'm currently leaning towards Columbia, I wish I can say that the prestige isn't factoring into my decision. But living in NYC is also a huge draw for me. I think I absolutely need to visit before I make a decision. I'm also a bit concerned about faculty availability and funding so we'll see. I'm going to admit day on the 28th! How about you?

One thing that really worries me about Columbia is that, in previous cycles, people have reported that they don't even provide enough federal loans to cover tuition (and none for COL).

FYI - this was in the MPH thread:

I've heard that too. If I have to take out private loans just to cover my education, I'll probably end up elsewhere. And thanks good information - thanks for sharing!

Hey. I am heading up for a tour on Friday (they will not be offering tours during the admitted students day as there will be too many of us) so let me know if there are any questions you have and I will try to get answers.

Hey. I am heading up for a tour on Friday (they will not be offering tours during the admitted students day as there will be too many of us) so let me know if there are any questions you have and I will try to get answers.
How did you go about setting up a tour?

I just called them - (212) 305-3927. Here is the info about the tour times.

Haha I was thinking the same thing! I hope Columbia wouldn't mind if I show up with a leather Emory binder ;).

Also dp890 - nice to meet another health policy kid! And one from So Cal too, no less (I'm San Diegan, born and bred). What made Columbia your dream school originally, and what cons besides the cost are you considering?

I'm from Orange County! Born and raised. :thumbup: I've always thought that Columbia had a little bit of everything. The university has an intelligent, driven, and cosmopolitan student population. Rather than being solely an academic campus or benefitting purely from its location (NYC), Columbia represented the best of both worlds to me.

As for Mailman specifically, I actually really like the concept of the Core curriculum.

Emory has a lot of resources and connections that students have access to. And I've found that there are many professors, both at Rollins and their medical school, are doing research in topics align with my interests (infectious disease). With that being said, Columbia also has all of the things that I just mentioned. But it requires a little more work to get in touch with the faculty there lol.

Seems like the general consensus is that it is difficult to reach out to Columbia faculty members. Anybody know why that is? During my interview, the second year HPM student said she had no problems developing a good rapport with her professors.

Very nice to see somebody with such similar interests! I can definitely see how a decent financial aid package and in-state tuition would make UCLA compelling but I definitely see the draw of Columbia. I feel the same way.

I didn't enjoy Ann Arbor that much when I visited, but I definitely attribute that to the cold (it was like 4 degrees when I was there?!)... so I don't know if I can handle the cold either. Everything else I've been hearing about Michigan is amazing.

I'm currently leaning towards Columbia, I wish I can say that the prestige isn't factoring into my decision. But living in NYC is also a huge draw for me. I think I absolutely need to visit before I make a decision. I'm also a bit concerned about faculty availability and funding so we'll see. I'm going to admit day on the 28th! How about you?

I really want to live in NYC, too! I'm going to admit day on the 28th as well. See you there!

One thing that really worries me about Columbia is that, in previous cycles, people have reported that they don't even provide enough federal loans to cover tuition (and none for COL).

FYI - this was in the MPH thread:

Hahah. I don't know whether I should laugh or cry. Man, that is depressing.

I called Columbia's fin aid office and they said that for the most part, most of the merit scholarships have already been decided/given out. :(

I called Columbia's fin aid office and they said that for the most part, most of the merit scholarships have already been decided/given out. :(
That's what they told me too when I called them yesterday.

Remember that if people who got merit awards decide not to go to Columbia the money goes back into the pot. I saw from year's thread that people got substantial merit scholarships even after April 15.

Last edited:

That's so depressing :/ I got such a large scholarship from U So Cal that makes it really hard. Columbia is no doubt my number one but at full freight v. 1/2 idk ugh haha

Hey guys... I have officially decided to attend Columbia MSPH... without guarantee of a merit scholarships... this might seem silly... and I'm scared as hell, but the way I see it, the opportunities offered by Columbia University are (in my opinion) not matched by many other schools. If we want to do any international work, the "brand name" would help us seek opportunities. Their alumni network is spectacular. The research that professors are participating in, match my interests, and I personally feel the core curriculum is innovative.. In the future, we would be able to say we're knowledgeable about all aspects of public health...which would probably open more doors for us.

Am I crazy for diving into loan debt? Probably :hungover: but I think I would regret it if I didn't take this opportunity.

My main concern would be what I highlighted above - what happens if you get your finaid packet and need to secure a private loan in the 40-50k range because Columbia hasn't approved you for full fedloan coverage? If the chance of that happening is fine with you, then no biggie, but I think it's something worth considering, especially with so much time left in our cycle (it is just barely March).

However, if you're sure, congrats, dude. Columbia is a great school.
You're absolutely right. I am very much wary of this :( but I think it may be it for me.

Good luck to us all! Hopefully we get the funding we need.

If you guys get sufficient loans from Columbia, would you be sure to attend?

You're absolutely right. I am very much wary of this :( but I think it may be it for me.

Good luck to us all! Hopefully we get the funding we need.

If you guys get sufficient loans from Columbia, would you be sure to attend?
That was my biggest concern as well. I think if Columbia offers at least a bit of money (say 15-20%) and the rest federal loans, I'd have a hard time turning them down. However, I'm not willing to take out private loans.

FWIW I emailed financial aid (I have an interesting situation, blah)

And she said they are still packaging awards out that will be out within the next 2 weeks

*that have scholarships

anyone planning on going to med school after the MPH program?

Yep! Which is why I cannot justify taking out loans and accumulating what could possibly be ~120k worth of debt if I decide to go to Columbia. Add that to the 4+ years worth of med school debt annnnd I will basically spend the rest of my life trying to pay off my so-called investments. :oldman:

Reactions: 2 users
Yep! Which is why I cannot justify taking out loans and accumulating what could possibly be ~120k worth of debt if I decide to go to Columbia. Add that to the 4+ years worth of med school debt annnnd I will basically spend the rest of my life trying to pay off my so-called investments. :oldman:
hahaha yea...it's going to be a lot of money. And we could well be in our 40's before our "investments" are paying off lol.

anyone planning on going to med school after the MPH program?

Yeah, that was my plan. 20-year investments are a mite scary though. I'm really excited about what you can do with an MPH, and a lot will depend on what I learn doing school and what opportunities are available to me afterwards. If I feel fulfilled, there might not be any need to go back to school. But thinking of what you can do with an MD/MPH is very exciting..

I called Nayadet Diaz de Breton from Columbia's FA department since someone else mentioned that they received news on their merit scholarship when they asked her. All she told me was that they're still looking through the surveys and that we should get answers via email in about two weeks.

Thanks for providing the news, dudes. Hopefully they send out some dough to people ITT.

PS If you get money, it might be helpful for the rest of us and for future applicants if you included your program, GRE/GPA, application/interview date, and any other relevant info (work/research experience, etc...)

I agree. I hope we hear something soon.

I'll be headed to Columbia.. just waiting it out a bit for scholarships but I definitely don't feel as strongly about any of the other programs I was accepted to! I'm definitely a fan of the revamped curriculum, since most other schools' are pretty stagnant.

Reactions: 3 users
I'll be headed to Columbia.. just waiting it out a bit for scholarships but I definitely don't feel as strongly about any of the other programs I was accepted to! I'm definitely a fan of the revamped curriculum, since most other schools' are pretty stagnant.
totally agree with you. I like how they incorporate the leadership and science into the new curriculum.

Last edited:
I got to visit Columbia in January and talk to some people, I live on the west coast so I can't really afford another plane ticket out there for the visit day. Anyone who does go, please keep us updated!

I got to visit Columbia in January and talk to some people, I live on the west coast so I can't really afford another plane ticket out there for the visit day. Anyone who does go, please keep us updated!
I'm attending the visit day on the 28th. I'll be sure to report back then.

What was your impression of Columbia when you visited?

I'm attending the visit day on the 28th. I'll be sure to report back then.

What was your impression of Columbia when you visited?
That'd be great! I also visited Columbia, but it was last October. It was pretty short since their session was only from 6pm-8pm. It was basically just Q&As panels with profs and current students.