MPH Columbia MSPH Fall 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey labrat_neuro91,
I noticed you wrote you're an international student. When you say you're looking for profs to work with, how do you plan on working out how you'll get paid on the student visa? (I'm also international -- Canadian)
Definitely curious about this as I was also thinking about contacting profs!

As an international student on a F-1 visa, we are allowed to work part-time on campus

did I answer your question??

Members don't see this ad.

Same here. It's such a bummer they don't even consider living expenses.

No need based grants for me...

Columbia was my dream school and I was so set on going there for my MPH, but I'm really starting to second guess this. It is simply not worth it.

Plus, I fell in love with Michigan's program this past weekend. Assuming I get an acceptance letter, I'm leaning towards UM. They said they give scholarships to 45% of their students (in and out of state).
I just checked my financial aid for UM. I was only offered $33k in loans and a $3k work study. No scholarships.

Hopefully you're luckier than I am and get some scholarship money. haha things aren't looking very good for me.

Last edited:
As an international student on a F-1 visa, we are allowed to work part-time on campus

did I answer your question??

So that means any research position with a professor counts and doesn't have to be in e.g. a library or something?

Members don't see this ad :)
So that means any research position with a professor counts and doesn't have to be in e.g. a library or something?
yup!! I've been studying the in the US since 2008, and my job has always been a research assistant.

Reactions: 1 user
Guys I have a question please. When contacting professors about assistantships should we straight out say that we are interested in a RA/TA position or should we beat around the bush and coyly (for the lack of a better word) put a request across in the next email upon receiving a reply??

I dunno the standard procedure and don't want to sound rude and ruin my chances by coming on too fast.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all!
This may seem like a silly question but what do we wear to the accepted student day? Is this a business casual event or will jeans and a nice top do?

Accepted. Today. MSPH program in Epidemiology of the prestigious MSPH. So who would be my mates here?

Reactions: 3 users
Hey all!
This may seem like a silly question but what do we wear to the accepted student day? Is this a business casual event or will jeans and a nice top do?
It doesn't say anything about the dress code, but I'd do business casual just to be on a safe side considering it's a professional school and all.

Officially attending Columbia. :woot:

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unrelated -- but I'm digging the discussion/activity/helpfulness in this thread! You guys seem awesome, here's to a great cohort!

Reactions: 5 users
Unrelated -- but I'm digging the discussion/activity/helpfulness in this thread! You guys seem awesome, here's to a great cohort!
who's helpful here? we're just some obnoxious, pretentious, and cut-throat students that really don't want to talk to each other if we don't have to. :nono:

hahaha....I honestly don't know how others can have such perception of students at Columbia. I know a few people there, and they're really really nice and helpful, actually. Anyway, I hope we can live up to their expectation. :poke:

Reactions: 2 users
I agree!! :)

I have two questions:-①
Has any international student gotten Fin Aid yet? BU gave me a tempting 12k. I may have to go to BU IF Columbia would not offer me Aid. ② Does Columbia send Admission packages by mail?

Has any international student gotten Fin Aid yet? BU gave me a tempting 12k. I may have to go to BU IF Columbia would not offer me Aid. ② Does Columbia send Admission packages by mail?
There is no financial aid for international students; only merit scholarships are given - and they already have been given. I actually got 15K merit scholarship from BU and thought it was insignificant compared to the whole cost of attendance. And I think Columbia does everything via email.

They email everything - no snail mail.

There is no financial aid for international students; only merit scholarships are given - and they already have been given. I actually got 15K merit scholarship from BU and thought it was insignificant compared to the whole cost of attendance. And I think Columbia does everything via email.

Really?? People from Finaid told me that the scholarships will be announced 'fairly soon'. If they have already decided the scholarships then why am I not getting my financial detail email?? I mean they can send me a video link praising their department to the sky, yet the official contact of the department didn't even bother to reply to my email. So far they are doing a poor job of making me feel welcome. :(

Really?? People from Finaid told me that the scholarships will be announced 'fairly soon'. If they have already decided the scholarships then why am I not getting my financial detail email?? I mean they can send me a video link praising their department to the sky, yet the official contact of the department didn't even bother to reply to my email. So far they are doing a poor job of making me feel welcome. :(
I would just call them.

Then I may stick with Columbia. By the way, what is the approximate cost of attendance of Columbia?

Then I may stick with Columbia. By the way, what is the approximate cost of attendance of Columbia?
Annual tuition is $35k... Plus living cost and fees, turns out to be about $60k a year total (w/ the tuition included) However, all of the financial packages I've received from all schools thus far (besides the BU's $15k merit scholarship I received) has been fairly similar.

And I believe that Columbia's program is really worth it. That's just my opinion though.

Best of luck to you with whatever you decide :)

From seeing past threads, I've seen people receive scholarships after April 15th because others turned down the offers. Idk if you would be able to wait that long, really. But yes, I think you should just call them. They will help you if you ask..!

From seeing past threads, I've seen people receive scholarships after April 15th because others turned down the offers. Idk if you would be able to wait that long, really. But yes, I think you should just call them. They will help you if you ask..!

I have registered for Tuesdays chat session with my department. Let's see how it goes. :)

Where are you guys planning on living? On campus? Off campus??
I think I'm going to apply for on campus...but not many people get the on campus housing, plus off campus may be cheaper. So I'm shooting for off campus.

Where are you guys planning on living? On campus? Off campus??

Off campus because the Wash. Heights area is pretty crappy, and if we're going to pay the cost to live in NYC, I figure might as well do it right! Check out renthop.com. Anything that's on the A/C/1 metro lines would work (i.e. the west side) because there's a stop a block from the public health school building.

I also got a BU scholarship but that didn't figure into my decision-making much because BU tuition is a decent bit more than Columbia and living in Boston is basically the same as NYC.

I was given the same advice by a recent Columbia grad who lived near the morningside campus. The commute is about 10 minutes.

Off campus because the Wash. Heights area is pretty crappy, and if we're going to pay the cost to live in NYC, I figure might as well do it right! Check out renthop.com. Anything that's on the A/C/1 metro lines would work (i.e. the west side) because there's a stop a block from the public health school building.

I also got a BU scholarship but that didn't figure into my decision-making much because BU tuition is a decent bit more than Columbia and living in Boston is basically the same as NYC.
s.

I was given the same advice by a recent Columbia grad who lived near the morningside campus. The commute is about 10 minutes.

s.
That's what I thought about Wash. Heights. but I've also heard that it's basically the cheapest and "safest" area to rent an apartment. And I haven't really given much thought about the morningside heights... maybe I need to start looking around that area as well.

I think I'm going to apply for on campus...but not many people get the on campus housing, plus off campus may be cheaper. So I'm shooting for off campus.
A few Mailman students suggested the Towers because I think they're the newest. Regardless, I wish they would allow us to have a look at each apartment building before we apply.

A few Mailman students suggested the Towers because I think they're the newest. Regardless, I wish they would allow us to have a look at each apartment building before we apply.
Yeah, I agree. I think I'm pretty destined to live off campus, because I'm going with my partner and a dog.. lol. I really do hope you find good housing, though!! I've heard good things about Columbia's housing and I've heard it's really worth it if you are selected.

Yeah, I agree. I think I'm pretty destined to live off campus, because I'm going with my partner and a dog.. lol. I really do hope you find good housing, though!! I've heard good things about Columbia's housing and I've heard it's really worth it if you are selected.
Thanks! I know that there's housing for coupled students, but I'm not sure if your partner needs to also be a student at Columbia. And yeaa..there might be a problem with having a dog and living on campus haha. Anyway, good luck finding an apartment!

Hello, everyone! Excited about my acceptance, been thinking about housing/jobs/student life, despite concerns about costs. So, here are my questions. Would be great to hear from current/prospective students.

1. When do the on-campus housing applications open/are due?

2. When are the on-campus housing notifications sent out?

3. Has anyone tried changing departments? I read some time ago that this is possible at the start of the program but complicated. Any experience? What's the procedure?

4. Do first semester students usually get GA/TA-ships? Do we contact professors directly or are their open positions posted somewhere? Is now the time to apply?

5. Do international students get on-campus employment in the first semester? Are these limited to GA/TA-ships within the MSPH or are there University-wide appointments? How helpful is the Student Employment/Financial Aid/International Student Services office in pairing international students with on-campus jobs?

Thanks!

Hello, everyone! Excited about my acceptance, been thinking about housing/jobs/student life, despite concerns about costs. So, here are my questions. Would be great to hear from current/prospective students.

3. Has anyone tried changing departments? I read some time ago that this is possible at the start of the program but complicated. Any experience? What's the procedure?

4. Do first semester students usually get GA/TA-ships? Do we contact professors directly or are their open positions posted somewhere? Is now the time to apply?

5. Do international students get on-campus employment in the first semester? Are these limited to GA/TA-ships within the MSPH or are there University-wide appointments? How helpful is the Student Employment/Financial Aid/International Student Services office in pairing international students with on-campus jobs?

Thanks!
http://www.cumc-housing.columbia.edu/

Thanks!
1. & 2. I know they give preference to people who live far away from campus for on-campus housing (ie. international students, then west coast US students ...) and hence, they will be notified sooner than people who apply for housing and live on the east coast.

4. NO!!!! I asked about this when I was on campus and you cannot be a TA/GA your first semester (and in most cases first year) in part due to the core structure and also because you have not taken the courses you would be TAing. Columbia does not offer Public Health courses at the undergrad level so the classes you can TA for are at the graduate level and hence first years cannot TA.

5. I know they strongly discourage working on campus this first semester due to the core. After that US students can ask for and receive work-study federal money to secure an on-campus job.

Not sure yet. That issue with my ssn# impacted every school I applied to, so I do not have finaid info from anyone but USC yet.
I see. Well, hope everything works out in the end for you.

Received my aid package a couple minutes ago. It's pretty much what we expected.

2014-2015 Financial Aid Award Eligibility

Source: Fall 14 Spring 1 Total

NEED BASED AWARD 2,500 2,500 5,000

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan 16,500 16,500 33,000

------- ------- -------

Total Awards: 19,000 19,000 38,000

If there is a difference, it may be met with personal or family resources, summer savings or loans from credit-based educational loan programs (Federal Graduate PLUS and/or private education loans),. For loans that are credit-based, it is important to apply at least ninety days before the semester starts to ensure timely disbursements. PLEASE NOTE: The terms and conditions of federal student loans may be more favorable or beneficial than the terms and conditions of private education loans.

I've just declined my Columbia offer, so hopefully my $30,000 scholarship goes to one of you, good luck!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Did you decide where you are going?

No, not yet, it's out of LSHTM (if I get in), Emory and Hopkins. I wasn't really a fan of Columbia's generalist program because I did a very broad undergrad degree (in Australia), and the living costs + tuition were just too high even with the scholarship. Disappointing because I'd LOVE to live in NYC but given I wasn't going to choose it I figured better just make the cut now so someone else can get the scholarship before April 15.

No, not yet, it's out of LSHTM (if I get in), Emory and Hopkins. I wasn't really a fan of Columbia's generalist program because I did a very broad undergrad degree (in Australia), and the living costs + tuition were just too high even with the scholarship. Disappointing because I'd LOVE to live in NYC but given I wasn't going to choose it I figured better just make the cut now so someone else can get the scholarship before April 15.

That's very generous and thoughtful. I'm sure another admitted student could use the money. It also makes sense why you didn't choose Columbia. Although I did not apply to Columbia, I am from the east coast and the cost of living there is really high. I am not familiar with their revamped curriculum, but I just knew that living in NYC was not an option for me since I have accumulated so much undergraduate debt. Are you attending admitted students day at Hopkins on the 28th or 4th? Which program at Hopkins did you get into?

That's very generous and thoughtful. I'm sure another admitted student could use the money. It also makes sense why you didn't choose Columbia. Although I did not apply to Columbia, I am from the east coast and the cost of living there is really high. I am not familiar with their revamped curriculum, but I just knew that living in NYC was not an option for me since I have accumulated so much undergraduate debt. Are you attending admitted students day at Hopkins on the 28th or 4th? Which program at Hopkins did you get into?

Unfortunately, I live in Australia so can't attend any of the admitted students days. I'm looking forward to hearing what others think of Hopkins though!

I got into the MSPH Global Disease Epidemiology and Control program, you?