MPH Columbia MSPH Fall 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the housing, how do we rank Bard Hall? What if it's my top choice? What if it's my last choice?

Members don't see this ad.

Which dorms are the better options and why are some of the rates listed on the housing website so broad? Bard Hall ranges from $780-1170. I'm looking for the cheapest options but don't want to request Bard if I might end up paying 1170.
Bard Hall is the only building with dorm style; the rest is apartment style. Maybe the price depends on the area of the room? Also, you could request the price that you're looking to pay when you apply.

But just to be sure, I'd call them and check.

Reactions: 1 user
I've just declined my Columbia offer, so hopefully my $30,000 scholarship goes to one of you, good luck!!!
Is this $30,000 for each year or for both combined ($15,000 each year)?

Members don't see this ad :)
$35,000 each year

:greedy: Holy Moly. I wish I could've gotten something like that.

As far as the housing is concerned I'd rather share a room with someone in Harlem or Queens then to pay these atrocious amounts for living space.

As far as the housing is concerned I'd rather share a room with someone in Harlem or Queens then to pay these atrocious amounts for living space.
Sorry I read that question wrong. Thought it was pertaining to how much tuition is. They most likely give you the option to spread it out.

Same question I have. Also, how would I request a cheaper room?
On the application, it tells you how you can rank your preferences. And you can put your request in the comment section on the bottom of the application. Well, at least that's where I put my requests.

Yeah, I emailed them. Any preference requests goes in that comment box.
Same question I have. Also, how would I request a cheaper room?
On the application, it tells you how you can rank your preferences. And you can put your request in the comment section on the bottom of the application. Well, at least that's where I put my requests.

$30,000 over two years! If it had been each year there would have been no question where I was going!!!

My post is a bit belated since the general deadline to make our decision was yesterday, but I ended up choosing Michigan. Michigan emailed me the night of April 14th, so it was very last-minute notice for me as well. I’m assuming they’re giving scholarships away as others are declining. Current students at Michigan have told me that they received their scholarships as late as the end of May as well.

For those who were given their acceptances late and still have time to make their decisions, definitely ask for reconsideration for aid. Both Columbia and Michigan gave me better financial aid packages after I sent them emails. Columbia gave me a $10,000 need-based scholarship for the upcoming year after I sent an email to them explaining why I thought I needed it and Michigan gave me a half-tuition scholarship for both years ($20,000 per year for two years!!!).

I believe I made the right decision. Both are great schools and I would have loved to be at Columbia, but Michigan seemed like the better fit for me. Just an FYI, the director of Admissions and FA at Columbia said that they welcomed emails for reconsideration and that you can tell them what you received from another school, but more than likely they will not be able to match what you received at a different school. At Columbia, they try to spread out grant/scholarship aid to as many people as possible versus giving large sums to a few individuals (understandable).

He and another professor also said that you should be making the right decision for yourself. It varies for each individual, but “if you receive a full ride to UCLA, why even bother coming to Columbia? Make good decisions!” (prof’s words, not mine. Also, something she said as an aside to another professor). Finances are not everything, but they should not be ignored. Good luck to all of those still making their decision!

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone waiting for financial aid reconsideration and asked for a decision extension heard anything since the April 15 deadline?

Has anyone waiting for financial aid reconsideration and asked for a decision extension heard anything since the April 15 deadline?
I requested the reconsideration and extension on the 14th. Got approved for both the same day then got the reconsideration an hour after. They were pretty adamant that I wasn't going to hear back until a week after the 15th when I initially asked. I've been having a difficult time with their offices so this surprised me when I heard back the same day. I emailed both admissions and financial requesting the extension. Bc both offices kept telling me to ask the other office. hopefully you'll hear soon :) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I requested the reconsideration and extension on the 14th. Got approved for both the same day then got the reconsideration an hour after. They were pretty adamant that I wasn't going to hear back until a week after the 15th when I initially asked. I've been having a difficult time with their offices so this surprised me when I heard back the same day. I emailed both admissions and financial requesting the extension. Bc both offices kept telling me to ask the other office. hopefully you'll hear soon :) :)
Same here! I asked to be reconsidered a third time yesterday and they got back to me with a revised letter one hour later.

I'd suggest for any of you who have not heard back from them after asking to be reconsidered, to resend your email.

Same here! I asked to be reconsidered a third time yesterday and they got back to me with a revised letter one hour later.

I'd suggest for any of you who have not heard back from them after asking to be reconsidered, to resend your email.
Did your award change significantly from the second time you asked to be reconsidered?

Did your award change significantly from the second time you asked to be reconsidered?
They gave me $2,500 more. Not significantly more, but definitely appreciated and much more of a help to me!!

Reactions: 1 users
They gave me $2,500 more. Not significantly more, but definitely appreciated and much more of a help to me!!
That's still good! That's also good that they granted the reconsideration after the 1st and 2nd time. Did they give you grief about it?

That's still good! That's also good that they granted the reconsideration after the 1st and 2nd time. Did they give you grief about it?
No, not at all! They were very pleasant about it and said "We are pleased to provide you with a revised package." :)

Did anyone commit to Columbia while waiting on another school?

hey guys I just submitted my application to the 1 year accelerated general MPH program, the deadline is June 1st!! how long after you submitted your application did you hear back from Columbia?

hey guys I just submitted my application to the 1 year accelerated general MPH program, the deadline is June 1st!! how long after you submitted your application did you hear back from Columbia?
about 3 months, but maybe that's because I applied early.

I am a currently Columbia MPH 1st year student in Epi - inbox me for more details about the program. The vast majority of my classmates are unhappy with the program, how it is run and general requirements.