Program-Specific Info / Q's Columbia or NYU??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eidaba

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was originally accepted to Columbia's MSOT program and wait listed at NYU. I ended up getting off the wait list and now I'm trying to decide between the two programs. Anyone have any advice for me? I am really torn between the two..

Luckily, I am from the New York area so cost of living is not an issue. The programs themselves are pretty expensive, but I'm shooting for the DOE scholarship either way. I am more concerned about the quality of each program. Both are ranked highly, but I have heard from students who attended years ago that they did not love the program. I haven't heard much about NYU. I also got the sense that Columbia was very focused on mental health, while NYU may be more well-rounded in terms of curriculum. Anyone out there who has attended or heard anything about these programs? I want to know as much as possible before making a solid commitment! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on having two great options! Are you concerned at all about program length? I know that Columbia offers a two year program whereas NYU offers a two and half year program... Columbia and NYU are great schools, but I would choose Columbia since it's a cheaper and shorter program than NYU.

Thank you @PassionateOTstudent2014 !! You make a good point about program length and that is definitely a plus for Columbia. I just am concerned about how much emphasis each program places on clinical-reasoning skills as well as exploring all areas of OT. If NYU offers a more well-rounded education, with exposure in all areas of OT, I would consider sacrificing financials and program length for that.

As much as I'd love for you to choose NYU so I can maybe get pulled from the Columbia wait list, I'm sure both schools prepare you thoroughly for whichever subfield you decide to delve into. I don't know if you have done this or not, but you can get a better idea of the programs' structure by looking at both schools' course schedule. Looking at it now, it does appear that Columbia focuses on mental health more so than other schools I've looked at, but you may be surprised and enjoy it (plus mental health is relevant to any subfield you choose, so it might be nice to have a strong background in it). Also, it's not like Columbia isn't covering other areas or not preparing you for physical deficits. To be honest though, NYU was my first choice, but I was rejected :(