Columbia University Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kc711

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I didn't see a thread for those who are going to Columbia next year, so I thought I'd start one. Comments from people who have decided on Columbia seem to be scattered in threads comparing schools, so I thought it might be helpful to have a Columbia-specific thread where people can discuss their programs and other things (like apartment-hunting!).

I've enrolled in Columbia's SMS-Aging and Public Health MPH program, and I'm so excited about it! I currently live in Los Angeles and am from the west coast, so I'm looking forward to the change of location and experiencing seasons!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested to see where you guys are looking for apartments, and how you guys are doing it, too.

I'm mainly looking at Washington Heights and Inwood. OCHA also suggested that you only start your search 4-5 weeks before you plan to move in, so that would be...roughly July, for a August move-in date?

I'd really like to avoid flying in to New York to scout out an apartment, so I may hire a broker or something. I don't know - I'd love some feedback.

I'll be in the Population and Family dept in the Forced Migration track.

I am also getting a little worried about finding an apartment. I'll be applying for campus housing, but I heard that the farther you live from NY the better your chances are of getting housing and I live in the northeast so I not counting on getting it.

I don't even know where to begin looking for an apartment. Is it easy to find a place to rent without a one year lease? I'll most likely be going abroad next summer and I'd rather not pay rent while I'm gone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be getting an MPH in Health Policy and Management. I am from Florida, and applying for campus housing as well. But I have heard that even some international students get passed for campus housing. I am planning on flying to New York at the end of June and start checking out some apartments.

Last edited:
I will be in the SMS / Health Promotion track and I couldn't be more excited. I think that Columbia has such a great program, even for all its perceived faults, and I look forward to getting to know everyone!

I'm really familiar with Manhattan...currently work on the Upper West Side (UWS), originally from New Jersey, and I make it a point to explore around here as much as possible. So if anyone has questions feel free to ask.

As far as apartments I will be looking in August - September. I will *NOT* be living around the School of Public Health. The surrounding hood isn't that great, and I prefer to live more in the heart of Manhattan. If anyone is interested in living farther down, I cannot stress enough live on the West Side and somewhere near/accessible to the A train. The A train expresses to 168th (doesn't stop at every station on the line) so from W 14th St to 168th is like 30 minutes max. I recommend looking on StreetEasy.com as a great way to gauge what you might be interested. You can search by area, price, # of bedrooms, etc. One of my bosses found her beautiful UWS apartment on this site. Some apartments are listed by owner too, which will have you avoiding broker fees.

Good luck everyone!!!

I will be in the SMS / Health Promotion track and I couldn't be more excited. I think that Columbia has such a great program, even for all its perceived faults, and I look forward to getting to know everyone!

I'm really familiar with Manhattan...currently work on the Upper West Side (UWS), originally from New Jersey, and I make it a point to explore around here as much as possible. So if anyone has questions feel free to ask.

As far as apartments I will be looking in August - September. I will *NOT* be living around the School of Public Health. The surrounding hood isn't that great, and I prefer to live more in the heart of Manhattan. If anyone is interested in living farther down, I cannot stress enough live on the West Side and somewhere near/accessible to the A train. The A train expresses to 168th (doesn't stop at every station on the line) so from W 14th St to 168th is like 30 minutes max. I recommend looking on StreetEasy.com as a great way to gauge what you might be interested. You can search by area, price, # of bedrooms, etc. One of my bosses found her beautiful UWS apartment on this site. Some apartments are listed by owner too, which will have you avoiding broker fees.

Good luck everyone!!!

That's very surprising. Doesn't our orientation start in the 3rd week of August? Are you just planning on staying on your current lease until then?

What would you recommend (in terms of time frame) for someone like ashleyleah15 and I who are out of state? I'm a little reluctant to be homeless and living in a library while I'm in school :D

This may seem silly, and a little bit dramatic, but the New York Times has a homicide map that I've been looking at recently. Just evaluating the 2009 data year, it seems like Washington Heights is unexpectedly safe. It IS a bit far away from the main draws of Manhattan/NYC, though.

http://projects.nytimes.com/crime/homicides/map

Looking at StreetEasy for Upper West Side apartments, it looks considerably outside of my pricerange, unfortunately...

Last edited:
Columbia's central office has somehow messed up sending my FAFSA to the School of Public Health, so I am still without an financial aid package. Just for my own data, what is the expected COA for 2011-2012 for the MPH in Epi?

New York is a very safe city, and Washington Heights is great. If you are looking to live close to downtown NY it's a but out of the way, but it's a wonderful community and also right on the A express train.

I agree that you should try to stay on the west side if you can, for convenience sake. Getting across town is more of a pain than traveling far up or down. That said, New York is a very small and commuter-friendly city, so you'll be able to get to Mailman from wherever you live in under an hour. I live on the R train in Brooklyn, which transfers to the A train at Jay Street, and I'm at 168th in about 50 minutes.

Columbia's central office has somehow messed up sending my FAFSA to the School of Public Health, so I am still without an financial aid package. Just for my own data, what is the expected COA for 2011-2012 for the MPH in Epi?

Roughly 63,000 dollars.

RebecaB: So Washington Heights would be considered the "West Side" then? I was doing some Google Maps calculations, and it estimates that it would take over 40 minutes to get to the Gramercy Park/East Village area, which is...pretty significant.

I'd like to do as delababy suggested and live in UWS, but as with everything, cost is a huge factor.

Just a few apartment hunting tips...

I would HIGHLY recommend coming to NYC in the beginning of August to find a place... I have lived in the city for a few years now and have had a decent amount of experience with the ups and downs of apt. hunting. A few things to keep in mind:

1. The pictures you see on Craigslist are most likely NOT the real apartment. Brokers can be desperate to make a sale and will LIE to your face to sell a property... as someone who was duped TWICE (yea Im gullible to a fault), just be weary and ask a TON of questions. Also, if you are visiting apartments, its normal to ask other people living there if you see them walking around or the doormen.

2. You will probably need a guarantor considering most of us will not have a full-time salary so you might want to start thinking about who could fill that role.

3. The city is much more sprawling than it might seem on a map so I would use HopStop or GoogleMaps to see how long the commute would be from a place before settling on it. Keep in mind when budgeting that an unlimited Monthly Metro Card is an additional expense of $104/month if youre commuting.

4. In terms of commuting, its MUCH easier to go north/south than east/west in this city. Also, buses can be very unreliable and are frequently on the chopping block when it comes to budget cuts (R.I.P. the M9 which used to take me to work )

5. Things to consider: laundry, groceries, pharmacy... it might not seem awful to have to walk 15/20 min to get food when its beautiful and warm out but just think about when its 3 degrees and blizzarding... take it from someone who lives off canned goods in the winter :cool:

6. Remember to google the building and see whats in the storefront... I have a few friends who live above bars that are open till 4am... I think you all can guess how this story ends...

7. Be aware that leases outside of university housing are usually begin on the first of the month so you wouldnt be able to move in until Sept 1st...

8. Also on the NYPD website, you can look up where NYCHA housing (low-income housing) is and depending on how street-smart you consider yourself to be, you might want to avoid those neighborhoods.

9. Finally, I would say that you should aim to spend no more than $1300 on an apartment otherwise you might be getting ripped off. I have had friends come to NYC for school and get roped into paying $1800 and really regret it once they see what others are paying.

10. GET EXCITED!!!! This is the best city to live in and once youre settled, youll never look back!

Good Luck!! Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions or need advice :)

Last edited:
I'll be in the Forced Migration track as well and cannot wait. A little terrified to go back to writing papers, but extremely excited about the overall experience.

As for housing, I'm considering 1) staying in my apartment on the east side, which is convenient to everywhere in the city except Mailman and really cheap for Manhattan, 2) moving west, closer to the A train to cut the commute in half, but paying more or 3) moving up to Washington Heights area and paying the same for a much bigger place. I'm in the city already though, so I've got time to decide.

For people coming from out of town, I would recommend finding a sublet for the first month or two. That'll give you the time to really check out apartments and neighborhoods and decide where you want to be and not agree to a crappy apartment just because you're homeless. Craigslist has tons of sublets in a bunch of neighborhood and for all different durations.

On that note, DeLizzo, I'd say most places will only do a year lease, BUT if you find a place you like, it's probably worth letting someone sublet for the summer and keeping the apartment rather than convincing someone to give you a 9-month lease and then looking for a new place after. Summer brings a bazillion university students and Europeans to the city. Some people are even able to make money off of subletting their place (usually when subletting to Europeans, not college kids). Official rules on subletting may vary, but everyone kind of does it and I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble. Especially not for a month or two.

Roughly 63,000 dollars.

RebecaB: So Washington Heights would be considered the "West Side" then? I was doing some Google Maps calculations, and it estimates that it would take over 40 minutes to get to the Gramercy Park/East Village area, which is...pretty significant.

I'd like to do as delababy suggested and live in UWS, but as with everything, cost is a huge factor.

Yeah, WH is on the west side. It's definitely not right in the center of the action, and will take a while to get to the center of the city especially during late nights, but I much prefer living on the outskirts. It's not as much of a scene and it's much more affordable. It definitely depends on what you want. I've been in NYC for five years and I go entire weekends without going into the city (would much rather stay in Brooklyn!), but you're right that if that is what you want, it can be draining.

Also remember that even though 40-50 mins sounds horrifying, it's by train, not by car. This actually makes a big difference. I get all my reading done during my commute!

And you can always move your second year...

Just wanted to put this out there... just found out that if you are 26 or younger, you can actually opt out of the school health insurance plan and save almost $6,000!!

Sad how thats the highlight of my day... hehe

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to put this out there... just found out that if you are 26 or younger, you can actually opt out of the school health insurance plan and save almost $6,000!!

Sad how thats the highlight of my day... hehe

WHOAAA this just made my day as well. How do we go about opting out of the school health insurance plan?

WHOAAA this just made my day as well. How do we go about opting out of the school health insurance plan?

When you are filling out the intitial registration paperwork, I think you need to present proof that you are on your parents plan and then just check the opt out box... With the new Obama plan, we can still be on Mommy and Daddys tab until we are 27... whew!! Thats rent for six months!

When you are filling out the intitial registration paperwork, I think you need to present proof that you are on your parents plan and then just check the opt out box... With the new Obama plan, we can still be on Mommy and Daddys tab until we are 27... whew!! Thats rent for six months!

Some bubble bursting here. The 3000 dollars is total estimated cost for a year, not a semester. The total savings for a 2 year period will be 6000, just so we're clear.

Also, how do you guys not know about the new healthcare provision for people under 26!?

Last edited:
Some bubble bursting here. The 3000 dollars is total estimated cost for a year, not a semester. The total savings for a 2 year period will be 6000, just so we're clear.

Also, how do you guys not know about the new healthcare provision for people under 26!?

haha yup thats exactly what I said! ;)

I knew about the provision, its just unusual for a school to let us opt-out of their insurance plan. None of the other schools I applied to had that option and considering that my other contender is much cheaper than CU, every little bit helps :)

haha yup thats exactly what I said! ;)

I knew about the provision, its just unusual for a school to let us opt-out of their insurance plan. None of the other schools I applied to had that option and considering that my other contender is much cheaper than CU, every little bit helps :)

Interesting! I went to undergrad in California, and pretty much every school out there had that option. I didn't even consider that it wouldn't be an option at other schools.

Hey all!

I'll be at CU for Epidemiology/Global Health - that means I'll be around August-June then away for 6 months and back for spring semester of 2013. That makes apartments kind of a pain, but so it goes...

Anyone else in the same situation?

I'm also planning on applying for student housing, thinking they might be more flexible for my timing situation, but as I technically live commuting distance, it'll take an act of God.

Alright. Just got back from Yale. I am now 95% committed to Columbia's Sociomedical Sciences in Health Promotion. :D Will apply for student housing soon.

Alright. Just got back from Yale. I am now 95% committed to Columbia's Sociomedical Sciences in Health Promotion. :D Will apply for student housing soon.

I'm curious to know what are your thoughts from your experience at Yale and Columbia?

I'm curious to know what are your thoughts from your experience at Yale and Columbia?

When I was at Columbia for its open house, I really did not like it. Everything about Mailman was not entirely up to my expectations, but in retrospect, I realized that it wasn't fair to compare my Mailman open house experience with the individual attention I had received at UMich the week before, since it wasn't the UMich open house that I had gone to. It was really like comparing apples and oranges.

After I came home, I mostly tried to forget everything that ppl have said about the schools, and focus on my primary needs for my MPH education. What do I want to learn and why? I realized that I'm completely committed to field work, versus research, because I honestly cannot see myself in academia for more than three years, and I am a project-oriented and product-oriented individual. So I made a list of things I'd want out of my MPH program, and to my surprise, Columbia's Health Promotion fit my requirements perfectly.

Then I visited Yale. By then I had pretty much already decided on Columbia. Yale threw me off slightly, because even though it wasn't their official open house day, still a couple students showed up and the admissions director organized for us a smaller version of the open house. I met some of my potential fellow students and really liked the group. Plus everyone there was so nice and accommodating, esp the admin (a word about profs: don't assume that Yale profs are more likely to cater to your interests, be more free to meet with you, etc. The reality is that profs will always be busy people. The bigger their names, the busier they will be. This is true across all academic institutions, including Yale). I wasn't surprised that Yale's program is more research-oriented. Due to the small SBS faculty, this was somewhat of an issue for me since I wasn't completely excited about any of their research, although I could probably work with it for two years, but two years max. I particularly could not see myself doing PhD at Yale. The "Yale bubble" feel was significant to me, as was the huge income disparity between Yale and its surrounding community. It still puzzles me how Yale could've existed for so long yet have had so little economic influence on New Haven. I felt that working on my own abstract ideas for my thesis (I know pretty much what I'd want to do and it has very little to do with the local community) would be wasting my personal potential to really make a difference in someone else's life.

Career services ppl at Yale were both very nice. Like many have said before, they knew many past students by name, and could tell you off the top of their heads where they did their internship and where they are now. They also organize periodic "tours" to NYC, etc to check out potential employers. I thought that was really awesome. I think no matter which school you pick, you'll without a doubt land a good job if you put in the work. I did ask them about what % of students go on to med school, law school, etc, and the number I got did not fit with my personal impression of the % of Yale MPH students going into med. It seemed a lot lower than what I feel is the actual number, but that's just my personal opinion. When inquired, they were also more hesitant to say how many MPH students from Yale end up doing research, or work as research assistants (versus actual public health jobs).

Anyway, then they brought out the whole "you can take any courses you want at Yale" thing, but also, the fact that for your thesis, you must have 2 readers, the first a faculty w/ appointment at YSPH, but the 2nd could be from anywhere at Yale or even another school. This impressed me a LOT. There are essentially no boundaries to the Yale MPH program, IF you want to do research. This is so different from Columbia's Health Promotion, where you basically take the courses they tell you to take, and are done with it. At first I found Columbia's way a bit rigid...and that intimidated me because as North Americans we grew up being taught that the more choices the better. But then I realized that I really don't want to do anything else. I just want to do health promotion. While I can probably rig up a cool thesis at Yale, that's not really why I decided to go into public health to begin with. I want to actually learn how to design interventions, and know what kind of theories would inform a good program design versus a bad one. I want to know how to best implement these interventions, evaluate them, etc. and immerse myself in the local community and understand them. What could be better than to have ppl with distinguished field experience teaching you how to do this? And to have so many part-time job opportunities to apply your course knowledge to hands-on practice? Research is definitely important, but I imagine there are people who are way more suited for it than I could ever be. The Yale public health program also struck me as not so "public health" but more "clinical health", which is not surprising since they're so closely affiliated with the school of medicine. I've done cancer research myself, so it's not entirely unfamiliar to me, this "chronic disease epi" orientation, but its application scope seems a bit limited, especially versus Columbia's whole "ecological framework" dogma.

What else...

Coming from Toronto, I do love big cities. I felt kind of suffocated when I was in New Haven, even though the Yale campus was absolutely stunning. NYC has so much to offer anybody who decides to go there (a no-brainer) and even though by not going to Yale, I wouldn't get the type of unique educational exposure that Yalies usually receive by just being a part of Yale (i.e. guest lecturers, etc) I feel that just the NYC atmosphere is highly conducive to creative, interdisciplinary thinking. Even though the Earth Institute, for example, is not on the CUMC campus, I don't see what's preventing any of us from accessing its talks and resources. Courses are definitely the central focus of education, but at the end of the day, it's what you put into designing your own experience that matters most, regardless of where you go to school.

If you have any specific questions, definitely feel free to ask or PM me! I honestly think that in 10 years' time, we're all going to look back and think "God, I can't believe I got so worked up about that silly decision". :) I think as long as you gather enough reasons to back up a choice, you can always call up these reasons whenever you feel unsure about your decision, even after you start your MPH.

Last edited:
even though by not going to Yale, I wouldn't get the type of unique educational exposure that Yalies usually receive by just being a part of Yale (i.e. guest lecturers, etc) I feel that just the NYC atmosphere is highly conducive to creative, interdisciplinary thinking. QUOTE]

I just wanted to comment on this and say that Columbia does a GREAT job of bringing in key PH players from outside of NYC for brown bag lunches... Ive been to a bunch of them and theyve always really impressed me! Take a look on their website calendar to get an idea of what other educational experiences you might be able to find... As a post-bacc student I actually got to attend one of the presidential debates that was held on campus!

Hello SDN world (never thought I'd actually post anything here, but alas), I had a quick question about the Housing situation at Columbia. In order to be eligible for single student housing, Columbia says "you must maintain full-time matriculated student status in an approved Medical Center academic program". Is the Mailman SPH considered a medical center academic program? If not, how would Couple housing work, would I need to find a roomie?

Also, I accepted the financial aid letter (ugh loans) and the estimated health insurance cost is ridiculous. When/how can I waive the school's insurance plan (any link online preferably)? Anyone know how good the insurance plan is at Columbia?

Thanks in advance.

Hello SDN world (never thought I'd actually post anything here, but alas), I had a quick question about the Housing situation at Columbia. In order to be eligible for single student housing, Columbia says "you must maintain full-time matriculated student status in an approved Medical Center academic program". Is the Mailman SPH considered a medical center academic program? If not, how would Couple housing work, would I need to find a roomie?

Also, I accepted the financial aid letter (ugh loans) and the estimated health insurance cost is ridiculous. When/how can I waive the school's insurance plan (any link online preferably)? Anyone know how good the insurance plan is at Columbia?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, Mailman SPH is considered a medical center academic program. Couple housing is for people who can basically prove that they've been living together (on the same lease), or have a marriage certificate, etc.

This should all be on the housing website link off of Mailman's website, I think.

I am 95% sure I'll be attending to Columbia! I am actually at Emory right now, I had a big weekend, visiting both schools. I really loved them both for different reasons. When it comes down to it though, I feel that the program content and overall feel of the school at Columbia is a better fit for me. It is tough though, because the facilities at Emory are absolutely amazing. It is beautiful and green here, with warm weather. Very tempting (hence the 95% sure, ha ha). But ultimately, I think I'm going with Columbia!

Feels good to have (pretty much) made my decision!

Hey Everyone!

Yay! I've also decided on the MPH program at Columbia - doing Health Policy and Management with a focus on Healthcare Management. Super excited to move to NYC and start the program it the fall!

I'm coming in from Canada, so hopefully the housing apps will work out, otherwise I have no idea what I plan on doing... I think they said they'll get back to us by early June though, so I guess that means plenty of time to plan a quick trip.

Excited to meet you all when we get there! :)

Has anyone gotten information about how to get their UNI address yet?

i know you guys probably all gave your stats a million times but can you post it all in this thread? columbia is a top choice for me and i wanna see what stats got people in and this way i weed out knowing about stats of people who applied to schools i dont care about...thanks!

I'll be in the Forced Migration program which is in the Population and Family Health Dept. For my program you need two years of international public health experience and to be able to prove your interest and dedication to this kind of work. The other programs in the PopFam Dept also need two years of experience, but not necessarily international experience. It's the only department that requires 2 years of experience, so the way they look at applicants and the way other departments look at applicants might be very different.

For my department, GREs and undergrad GPA scores are glances at to make sure you're not an idiot, but that's all. When I asked, I was told they'd like you to have 50th or higher percentile on the GREs and 4.5 on writing, and as long as you have those, you're fine. And if they like you, and you don't have those scores, then they'll look more closely at your undergrad transcripts to see if it gives evidence to suggest you can handle biostats, epi, etc. But don't worry too much - 50th percentile on the GREs really isn't that hard.

I'm sure it's different by department. Biostats applicants are probably expected to have better quant scores, but there's probably less of an emphasis on experience.

Talk to the program or department you're interested and they'll be able to give you a better rundown of what they're looking for. I don't think people posting stats on this board are really going to be very helpful. If you want to know more about the PopFam Dept or the Forced Migration program, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
I actually got a job working in the Program on Forced Migration and Health office this summer and I'm working with a bunch of soon-to-be graduates and second-years. If anyone has questions, they're more than happy to answer them. They're all in PFMH, but I'm sure they know people in other tracks and departments as well.

Nah I had called and they said not to expect them until June... :cool:

laaaame... i wanted to start going to museums for free

Anyone else in the Global Health Track? I'll need to find a sublet for 9 months

Does anyone know how hard it is to find a job as an MPH student?

I plan to apply to Columbia's health management program this coming cycle and I'm wondering if it's possible to find a (related) job on/near campus?

It's not hard. In the PopFam department, there's a list sent out weekly (I think?) with jobs in/around campus for students. In the school, there are Graduate Research Assistant positions and admin jobs (and probably more). And assuming your program/dept has good relations with NYC and puts in the effort to organize and publicize those opportunities to their students, there should be a good number of other jobs too. You'd have to check with someone in that dept to know if that's something they do or not.

Hey Veggie Monster,

I'm starting at Columbia in the MPH Healthcare Management program this September. From what I've heard many large multinational consulting firms hire at Columbia, and the local network is huge. My understanding is that the job market is pretty good for graduates of this program.

I will probably have more first-hand experience to share next year this time so if you need help deciding where to go by then, just let me know. :)

Does anyone know how hard it is to find a job as an MPH student?

I plan to apply to Columbia's health management program this coming cycle and I'm wondering if it's possible to find a (related) job on/near campus?

Has anyone gotten information about how to get their UNI address yet?

Clearly one of us has too much time (alright, it's me) but I figured out how to get my uni ID, and I now have an email address! You can go to this page: https://www1.columbia.edu/sec/acis/manageaccount/create.html

and it can look up your uni for you based on your personal information. I was bummed to realize that you are assigned an email address, not given the option to create your own, but I think I will live. :)

Aaaaamaazingg! Thanks mihyang! Just got mine too. :) YAY.
Can't wait for August 29th!! :)

Clearly one of us has too much time (alright, it's me) but I figured out how to get my uni ID, and I now have an email address! You can go to this page: https://www1.columbia.edu/sec/acis/manageaccount/create.html

and it can look up your uni for you based on your personal information. I was bummed to realize that you are assigned an email address, not given the option to create your own, but I think I will live. :)

Ugh. I clicked on "Look Up UNI" and searched for my name, but it's not yet in the system. Is anyone else having the same problem? I'm in SMS for Health Promotion. I'm wondering if the speed at which they process your files is different per department? Thanks.

Ugh. I clicked on "Look Up UNI" and searched for my name, but it's not yet in the system. Is anyone else having the same problem? I'm in SMS for Health Promotion. I'm wondering if the speed at which they process your files is different per department? Thanks.

You're from Canada, right? I think you need additional stuff.

From this website:
http://www.mailman.columbia.edu/students/student-academics/registration-course-info

"Attention newly admitted international students: You will need a temporary access number in order to activate your UNI. After you have paid your deposit, please contact the Office of Student Affairs by email or phone at 212-305-3927 in order to obtain this access number. "

Oh wow, thank you! I just sent them an e-mail. Hopefully I'll hear back from them soon. :)

From this website:
http://www.mailman.columbia.edu/students/student-academics/registration-course-info

"Attention newly admitted international students: You will need a temporary access number in order to activate your UNI. After you have paid your deposit, please contact the Office of Student Affairs by email or phone at 212-305-3927 in order to obtain this access number. "

Interesting.. I'm from Canada too though and I just needed to find my name, put in my birth date and input the PIN number from the application. Maybe it differs by department, or they process them slowly so that could be a reason. Hope it works out soon!

From this website:

Hey everyone,

I am graduating from Columbia this August and if anyone has questions about housing, courses, etc, feel free to send me a message or simply reply here.

Also, I am selling my textbooks. I am here until August 15th. I was an Epi student, so most of my books are Epi. If you are an incoming Epi student, you will need these books and I am willing to sell them for a low price. Let me know.
(Note: Even if you are not an Epi student, you will need to take all 5 of the required courses).

Books required for Epi students:
An Introduction to Categorical Data Analysis by Alan Agresti -- $56 (If you are an Epi or Biostats student, you are required to take this course).

Essentials of Epidemiology in Public Health by Ann Aschengrau, George R. Seage III, George R. Seage -- $55 (This book is required for Epi 1, and all students must take this course).

The Little Sas Book by Lora D. Delwiche -- $15 (If you are an Epi student, you are required to take this course).

Psychiatric Epidemiology by Alfredo Morabia, Evelyn J. Bromet, Ezra Susser, Sharon Schwartz -- $42 (This is the Epi 2 course. All epi students must take this class).

(If you are an EPI student, and plan to take Infectious Diseases as one of your three substantive courses, I have this book too).

Infectious Disease Epidemiology by Carolyn F. Masters -- $95.

ALL STUDENTS ARE REQUIRED TO TAKE THE INTRO TO SOCIOMEDICAL SCIENCES COURSE. DO NOT BUY THE BOOK!

Please let me know if you guys are interested. I can lower the price a tad bit more if all books are purchased at once.

Thanks

It is not hard to find a job on campus and on the morningside campus. The Office of Disability Services hires graduate students to be exam proctors and assistants to professors. This ranges from $15 to $18 an hour. You can easily get 10-20 hours a week, depending on how quick you respond to openings.

I would advise all incoming students to apply for on campus housing (preferably Tower 1). Rent is approximately $953 and it includes everything but electricity (Usually an additional $20 bucks a month).

If anyone wants pictures on the view from my apartment in Tower 1, send me a PM and provide me your email.

Sorry for the multiple posts, but this is the last one.

I am also selling my bed (queen), desk, chair, two lamps, and some misc. stuff in August.

I will give you guys a good deal on this stuff, if you are interested. This will save you money on delivery and installation costs. Please PM me if you are interested.

Thanks in advance.

here is where it mentions that we can waive,
http://www.mailman.columbia.edu/prospective-students/financial-aid/tuition-fees

here is where we fill out the form. but if you're registering for fall '11, you can't fill the form until august 1
http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/student/health/insurance/waive.html

hey all. congrats on your decisions!

i'm a second year epi mph student right now at mailman so if you have any questions feel free to hit me up!

just wanted to stop by and say congrats!

hey guys!

So Im having a minor freakout... I just got an email saying that our first bill is due on June 16th.... buttttt my loans havent come through yet! What the hell are we supposed to do?! Does anyone know if I were to pay this bill from my savings, will I have access to my loan money to put money back in my savings account or does it stay in my account at Columbia and gets credited to the Spring semester? On top of that, I cant access my bill because I apparently have an "invalid ID" and no one from student services is returning my email/call... grrrr....

Anyone else having these issues?
:(

hey guys!

So Im having a minor freakout... I just got an email saying that our first bill is due on June 16th.... buttttt my loans havent come through yet! What the hell are we supposed to do?! Does anyone know if I were to pay this bill from my savings, will I have access to my loan money to put money back in my savings account or does it stay in my account at Columbia and gets credited to the Spring semester? On top of that, I cant access my bill because I apparently have an "invalid ID" and no one from student services is returning my email/call... grrrr....

Anyone else having these issues?
:(

I got that too, mine said just that I had a credit of $500 (the enrollment deposit) and $0 in charges. I think it's just a statement, not actually a bill now.

Did you try this website to get your uni?
https://www1.columbia.edu/sec/acis/manageaccount/create.html

Sorry, I hear your frustrations - Columbia is not being really helpful with the info they send out...