columbia university with low gpa vs state school with high gpa

medguy24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I’m about to start my senior year of high school and I need to decide whether to apply for early decision at Columbia or not. My goal is to go to medical school. I'm not crazy about going to a top medical school, I would be more than happy to go to my state medical schools- since its close to where I live, cheap, and my father went there for medical school.
So here is my problem, I feel that I would be much happier in Columbia, I visited the campus and I feel that its a better environment for me where I would feel challenged, etc. however I'm afraid that when it comes time to apply to medical school I wont have a high science GPA since Columbia is such a competitive school.
My other option is to go to my local state school. Where I'm pretty confident that I can obtain a high science GPA.
Here is my background: I’m a pretty smart guy and I have a strong study ethic and am willing to work hard and by the time I start college I will have taken AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP Physics B, and Organic Chemistry at a local college. So I'm in a pretty good position.
If I go to my local State school, I can almost definitely obtain a 3.8-3.9 GPA since I’m a very smart guy and I have a realllyyy strong science background. Ill study for my MCAT's and get a good grade, do whatever else is needed and etc and ill have a great shot at medical school. Ill be a big fish in a medium sized pond- exactly what you want.
If I go to Columbia on the other hand, I have no idea how ill do... even though I’m a really smart person and I have a strong science background, well doesn’t everyone else at Columbia also? So I don’t really have that advantage anymore. And I did my research and the science classes at Columbia are curved to a B. so assuming I do average in two of my sciences and get a B and do above average in 1 of my sciences and get a b+ and do below average in one of my science and get a b- ill have a 3.0 GPA. Which as far as I know is pretty bad.
Am I wrong? Is a 3.0 at Columbia good enough? Or am I really exaggerating how hard Columbia is and with my background I can get at least a 3.5 science GPA? Or am I exactly on target and the right thing to do is to go to my state school.
Please help me figure out what to do. I would love to attend Columbia but not at the expense of not getting into medical school.
Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

State university with higher GPA.
/thread

Reactions: 1 user
First off believe in yourself. College in general is a bit harder from high school just based on the fact that you have to be self motivated. Columbia and the other IVY's promote a learning based on the premise of why something is the way it is, not just regurgitation.

It seems like you have done well for yourself in high school, college is just a different pace. If you truly believe you are a smart guy and have a desire to go to Columbia you will find a way to excel. One of my friends in my post-bacc physics class right now just graduated from Columbia he isnt a genious, but he is smart. He did well there because he put in the effort.

If I was you I would go to Columbia, its better to be challenged now than in medical school. You will set yourself up for a much greater chance at success, just keep that GPA > 3.6 and you will be ok.

Lastly, ENJOY your last year of high school, you are still very young and this journey is extremely long, give it the due process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get a 3.6+ at Columbia.

Here's the way I think about it: if you can't hack a 3.6 at Columbia, you probably have no business at medical school. Telling yourself "the best I can do at Columbia is a 3.0" is crazy.

And you might not go into medicine anyway. Columbia opens a lot more doors for you all over the place than state school x.

What state, anyway?

You need a high gpa no matter what school you go to, so if your choice was between getting a high gpa at a state school, vs a low gpa at columbia, then the state school option is better.

However, why not get a high gpa at Columbia? Getting a high gpa at Columbia will be much easier than medical school, so if you're worried about being unable to do that, med school will be tough. There's also the part about college which is just about, you know, experiencing college. A place like Columbia will not only be more challenging, but will have more motivated and intelligent people then your local state school, and such an environment will foster your own personality significantly more than how difficult tests are.

Also, Columbia is on a beautiful campus in the heart of NYC... it's pretty much the most awesomest of combo's in terms of locations. I vote columbia,

Go to Columbia. You'll be held to a higher standard and I'm sure it helps to be surrounded by people who enjoy the same academic rigor as you do. Your GPA won't differ that much between a state school and Columbia. At least not enough to matter in terms of admission to medical school.

Are finances a possible issue? Make sure you think carefully about that before applying ED! If finances will not be an issue, I would recommend Columbia. Undergrad is more than just getting into med school. Columbia will open a whole world of opportunities to you on a totally different dimension. Plus as other have said, if you decide not to go into medicine, Columbia will open a lot more doors for you.

Also, don't limit your potential performance just yet--if you get in, you have what it takes to succeed there. You may have to be humble and proactive about seeking out extra resources like tutoring, office hours, academic skills help, etc, but you are not doomed to a sub 3.6 GPA from the start.

I just graduated from Columbia as a premed and it's not that bad (I had a >3.6 gpa). I had a similar decision to make 4 years ago, but I was glad I chose Columbia. It's not easy to do well, but if you put in the effort you will get there. I feel like I really learned how to study effectively from the classes, which will definitely be helpful for med school. I also had the opportunity to go abroad and enjoy NYC, which I definitely wouldn't have gotten at my state school. Feel free to message me with any questions!

jonnythan I live in NY.
and snowflakes- my dad can afford to pay my tuition thankfully.

And I will do EVERYTHING I can to make sure i get a 3.6 or higher GPA at Columbia. I just want to make sure that if it dosent go as well as im hoping for, for what ever reason, and i get a 3.2 GPA lets say, im not screwed. I dont want to have any regrets and say "dang i didnt get into any medical school, i should have went to my state school"
Do you think a 3.6 from columbia is really doable if you put in the effort? because the classes are curved to a B (3.0)

For some perspective, I've spent a lot of time at both a state school and a very difficult private school.

The private school was harder. Much, much harder.

The state school allowed me to all but sleep through classes and get a 4.0.

Attending the private school actually taught me how to study. Being surrounded by really smart people was encouraging and challenging. It pushed me to do better.

The state school pushed me to complacence and boredom.

Go to Columbia.

BTW, I live in NY as well.

As someone who went to an even more grade deflating, well known private school and is now having extreme difficulty getting into a medical school even after 2 app cycles and an SMP, I'd choose the state school in a heartbeat.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Why are you assuming that you would get a 3.0 at Columbia?

I went to a top 20 school, and I was terrified of the competition at first, but after enrolling I found that I was significantly ahead of the pack. There were four or five times that I got the highest exam score in a class of 100 or more. I got Dean's List every semester, and I graduated with a GPA of roughly 3.8. Trust me, I am not a genius. Getting good grades in college is 10% innate intelligence and 90% work ethic and study skills. This is true even for the Ivy league. (It's probably not entirely true for certain majors like math and physics, but I digress.)

How do you know if you have the 10% innate intelligence that you need? I think AP classes are a good indicator (even more so than SAT scores). If you got all fives or two fives and a four on those AP exams, IMHO you could probably get a 3.7+. It doesn't necessarily mean that you will get a 3.7+ -- your work ethic will decide that -- but you'd have what it takes.

Now what about the 90% work ethic? Do you have it? If you go to a highly ranked school, you'll find that most, if not all of your classmates have the 10% innate intelligence, but many don't have the work ethic:

First, you'll find that many of your classmates would much rather spend their Monday nights partying it up at a frat than reviewing their Orgo flashcards at the library. Grades simply aren't their priority. Second, some of your classmates will spend their Monday nights at the library, but without their parents being on their back every second, they'll spend two-thirds of that time on Facebook. Third, you have the outliers: students who are smart, but overloaded themselves with 20+ credits that they can't handle; students who were recruited for sports, but can't handle the academics; etc. These tend to be the people who have the below average GPAs. If you fall into one of these three categories and you're interested in premed, Columbia might not be the right place for you.

If you think you can handle the rigor, I think Columbia is the obvious choice. (Unless other considerations, such as cost, location, etc. are very important to you.)

As someone who went to an even more grade deflating, well known private school and is now having extreme difficulty getting into a medical school even after 2 app cycles and an SMP, I'd choose the state school in a heartbeat.

Im so sorry to here that :/
Everyones telling me to go to columbia and I really here them and want to, but im scared that my best wont be enough and I really dont want to get stuck at the end of my college years in the same position your in.
If you dont mind me asking what was you college and GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you guys believe is the lowest science GPA i would need from Columbia to get into a US MD school?
Thx in advance

Why? Are you going to shoot for the lowest possible sGPA you can get away with?

You're in high school. Go to Columbia and do as well as you can. Do awesome stuff with awesome people while there.

Why? Are you going to shoot for the lowest possible sGPA you can get away with?

You're in high school. Go to Columbia and do as well as you can. Do awesome stuff with awesome people while there.
Well no! Im going to shoot for the sky! Im going to shoot for Harvard Med school! and Im going to Study as hard as i can and i will hopefully achieve many great things.
I ask because i need to have a "backup plan" in case things dont go as i hope they do. I need to know that i will still have a place to go.
Thanks for the reply btw i really appreciate your time!

Everyones telling me to go to columbia and I really here them and want to, but im scared that my best wont be enough and I really dont want to get stuck at the end of my college years in the same position your in.

PM me ;)

Also, with regard to Columbia being a more fitting environment: I would totally agree. A top tier university offers innumerable benefits in terms of actually learning things, research opportunities, networking, and meeting extraordinary people who may someday change the world. But let's face it, unless you're a genius or major in underwater basket weaving your GPA will be lower because in the grand scope of things you'll be a small average fish in a big pond.

And there's nothing wrong with that, if you don't care about potentially hurting your chances of admission to medical school. But if you want the easiest route to medicine it would definitely be going to an easy state school and taking the bare minimum to satisfy prerequisites in order to keep your GPA as high as possible.

Obviously, the current med school admissions process is highly flawed but there's not much you can do except play the game.

Can you afford Columbia? Not great if you go and end up with tons of debt with more debt to accrue during med school.

What state school are we talking about? If it's a top 3 UC, U North Carolina, U of Virginia , U of Michigan, U of Texas Austin etc. then these schools put you at equal footing consideration by med schools with Columbia. You state school should be a top 50 ranked school.

If your state school does well in putting students into your state med school, then I think you should attend your state school. Save money, stress, and have more time to develop and enjoy extracurriculars.

Can you afford Columbia? Not great if you go and end up with tons of debt with more debt to accrue during med school.

What state school are we talking about? If it's a top 3 UC, U North Carolina, U of Virginia , U of Michigan, U of Texas Austin etc. then these schools put you at equal footing consideration by med schools with Columbia. You state school should be a top 50 ranked school.

If your state school does well in putting students into your state med school, then I think you should attend your state school. Save money, stress, and have more time to develop and enjoy extracurriculars.

I can afford Columbia and will leave undergrad with absolutely no debt. and my state school are the SUNYs. I know i can get into Medical school from my state school. Im trying to figure out if i can also from Columbia... because i would rather go to columbia. So far most people are saying i should go to Columbia.

I went to SUNY Albany and I went to RPI. There is absolutely no comparison between the quality of the coursework, students, faculty, facilities, and general opportunities between the two.

I know Albany isn't quite Stony Brook, but RPI is no Columbia either. You'd be doing yourself a great disservice by choosing SUNY IMO.

Go to Columbia. You will thank yourself for it later. The opportunities abound at Columbia are stupendous. Also, your peers will probably be much more driven. IMO, it's the quality of your peers that determine your college experience. I'm sure you can find equally driven people at the state school, but it will probably be a bit harder.

don't be a pansy
I misread pansy at first glance. I'll still keep the like.

Attending the private school actually taught me how to study. Being surrounded by really smart people was encouraging and challenging. It pushed me to do better.

I don't think this a question you can ask without actually getting into Columbia first. Assuming you get in, your education is what you make of it. If you are going to strive to master the material rather than get As, then the school shouldn't matter. However, if you plan on doing the bear minimum for a class, then a more competitive environment may be necessary. You'll get a lot of opportunities wherever you go, but Columbia may have more to offer.

You are contradicting yourself with the assumption that you will do terrible at Columbia even though you're a smart guy. My undergrad used the same orgo books and same material as an ivy league school. The difference (I was told) as that many of these schools have discussion sections led by teaching fellows that genuinely want to teach. Having these extra resources are helpful than just the in class lectures. This, of course, is a just one POV.

Thanks for all your replies! can someone address how doable a 3.6 science GPA is at columbia? and if i work hard can i maintain that?

Getting a 3.6 is going to be tough, and anybody who says otherwise is crazy. Even at a state school a 3.6 can be difficult, the classes are tough and the competition is high.

If you go to Columbia, you have to go in 110% driven, since everything starts from the first year. If you do not start out so hot, it is going to be hard to recover, and doing well sets you up nicely for the years after.

Is there a particular reason you've chosen Columbia as your top choice? A lot of my classmates during high school went to Columbia for undergrad, and they complained all the time about how the Core is a killer (and you can't get out of it because everyone takes the Core). They said their major weed out class was the general bio class that everyone takes freshman year if you're pre-med. Overall, they seemed to really enjoy their experience, but at the same time they were very stressed because of school.

Also, I'm not sure how financial aid factors into your decision, but based on your family income level, you probably qualify and the Ivies give great financial aid packages for even families that make $150K a year. In fact, they might give better FA than even your state school (unless you get a full scholarship from your state school).

Keep in mind Columbia isn't like Princeton or MIT. It's not a grade deflating school. Your GPA will probably be 0.3~ lower at Columbia unless you work significantly harder at Columbia, but the opportunities that you get, the challenges that you will face, and the growth that you will experience is invaluable.

Is there a particular reason you've chosen Columbia as your top choice? A lot of my classmates during high school went to Columbia for undergrad, and they complained all the time about how the Core is a killer (and you can't get out of it because everyone takes the Core). They said their major weed out class was the general bio class that everyone takes freshman year if you're pre-med. Overall, they seemed to really enjoy their experience, but at the same time they were very stressed because of school.

Also, I'm not sure how financial aid factors into your decision, but based on your family income level, you probably qualify and the Ivies give great financial aid packages for even families that make $150K a year. In fact, they might give better FA than even your state school (unless you get a full scholarship from your state school).

If there's one thing Columbia students love, it's complaining about the Core. Honestly, the Core classes are not bad, and once they get out of school, most of your friends will probably look back pretty fondly on some of them, maybe even most of them. Yeah, Frontiers of Science is a joke if you're actually taking real science classes, and University Writing doesn't seem to help people actually learn to write, but Lit Hum and Contemporary Civilizations will make you think in ways that a standard premed curriculum won't, and Art Hum is a pretty cool class (don't get me started on Music Hum, it was the one Core class I actually despised).

And yes, Dr. Mowshowitz likes to make the intro bio sequence a weed-out course for premed, but she's tough, not unfair. And she's right - if you can't figure out how to at least pass biology at the level she teaches at, then you need to seriously think about your ability to handle a medical school curriculum.

OP, go where you'll be happiest. You're still in high school, you may well change your mind about medicine (I know people who got as far as junior year, and changed their mind - not because they weren't doing well, but because they realized it just wasn't for them). Pick the school that is the best fit for you, remembering that being premed will be only a part of your college experience. You'll need to work hard no matter what, so you might as well do it in an environment that makes you happy.

And for heaven's sake, if you're going to apply to Columbia, get rid of that defeatist attitude before you get to the alumni interview - your interviewer will pick up on immediately, and you'll kill your chance at admissions. And very few things make the alumni interviewers sadder than writing a bad interview report.

Go to Columbia. You will thank yourself for it later. The opportunities abound at Columbia are stupendous. Also, your peers will probably be much more driven. IMO, it's the quality of your peers that determine your college experience. I'm sure you can find equally driven people at the state school, but it will probably be a bit harder.

Also quality of your peers that determine your future networks, which may impact your career trajectory and outcome greatly.

If there's one thing Columbia students love, it's complaining about the Core. Honestly, the Core classes are not bad, and once they get out of school, most of your friends will probably look back pretty fondly on some of them, maybe even most of them. Yeah, Frontiers of Science is a joke if you're actually taking real science classes, and University Writing doesn't seem to help people actually learn to write, but Lit Hum and Contemporary Civilizations will make you think in ways that a standard premed curriculum won't, and Art Hum is a pretty cool class (don't get me started on Music Hum, it was the one Core class I actually despised).

And yes, Dr. Mowshowitz likes to make the intro bio sequence a weed-out course for premed, but she's tough, not unfair. And she's right - if you can't figure out how to at least pass biology at the level she teaches at, then you need to seriously think about your ability to handle a medical school curriculum.

OP, go where you'll be happiest. You're still in high school, you may well change your mind about medicine (I know people who got as far as junior year, and changed their mind - not because they weren't doing well, but because they realized it just wasn't for them). Pick the school that is the best fit for you, remembering that being premed will be only a part of your college experience. You'll need to work hard no matter what, so you might as well do it in an environment that makes you happy.

And for heaven's sake, if you're going to apply to Columbia, get rid of that defeatist attitude before you get to the alumni interview - your interviewer will pick up on immediately, and you'll kill your chance at admissions. And very few things make the alumni interviewers sadder than writing a bad interview report.

Lol, I remember most of my friends complaining about the 20 page final paper they had to write LitHum (I think it was LitHum). And they also told me all the time about how Dr. Heicklen is crazy. ;)

What do you guys believe is the lowest science GPA i would need from Columbia to get into a US MD school?
Thx in advance
You will need pretty much the same GPA you would need from the state school. You won't get some massive bump to your application because you went to Colombia which, as far as I can tell, is not known for grade deflation.

You won't be getting much love with a 3.3 from Columbia, and if you have a below average GPA like a 3.5, you better have a high MCAT to make up for it.

anybody who went to columbia or any other ivy league have any output?

If I go to my local State school, I can almost definitely obtain a 3.8-3.9 GPA since I’m a very smart guy and I have a realllyyy strong science background.

Be careful king of kings; first you need the victory.

I don't see people quote that movie often.

He means that you're a high school student. Before you make plans based on your college GPA, you need to earn that GPA first.

Reactions: 1 users
Columbia alum on the GPA repair route now. Don't go to Columbia unless you're mature enough to go to school in a great city that you'll never have time to see. That's the bottom line. Columbia is leagues ahead in terms of difficulty when compared to my post bacc, a non-Ivy private school in NY. Anybody who says Mowshowitz is fair is kind of a tool- there's no reason for PBL to be introduced to sophomores as a conduit to learn basic science. Weeding should be spread out over several courses and not hazed into students when they are most vulnerable. The college transition takes time and it is certainly not the case that every person who would make a good doctor is ready to tackle that course at the time its given. You know why people, especially at Ivy League schools, kill themselves? Because they're surrounded by people who make sweeping generalizations like "If you can't handle X, you can't do Y" after they've passed the course and not yet started medical school. I love many aspects of my alma matter, but it's painfully obvious by the fact that THEY'VE MADE A TASK FORCE TO HELP STUDENTS PASS THIS SPECIFIC "INTRO" COURSE that Dr. Mowshowitz is out of control.

I have friends in top 10 medical school who went to her office hours and were told they shouldn't be doctors (for asking questions about renal physiology). It neither puts you in or out of medical school- it just makes your time at Columbia crappy.

I don't see people quote that movie often.

He means that you're a high school student. Before you make plans based on your college GPA, you need to earn that GPA first.
oh thx!

If I had a nickel for every kid with good High school grades who expected to fly through undergrad...

anybody who went to columbia or any other ivy league have any output?

See my original post; I am a Columbia alum.

Columbia alum on the GPA repair route now. Don't go to Columbia unless you're mature enough to go to school in a great city that you'll never have time to see. That's the bottom line. Columbia is leagues ahead in terms of difficulty when compared to my post bacc, a non-Ivy private school in NY. Anybody who says Mowshowitz is fair is kind of a tool- there's no reason for PBL to be introduced to sophomores as a conduit to learn basic science. Weeding should be spread out over several courses and not hazed into students when they are most vulnerable. The college transition takes time and it is certainly not the case that every person who would make a good doctor is ready to tackle that course at the time its given. You know why people, especially at Ivy League schools, kill themselves? Because they're surrounded by people who make sweeping generalizations like "If you can't handle X, you can't do Y" after they've passed the course and not yet started medical school. I love many aspects of my alma matter, but it's painfully obvious by the fact that THEY'VE MADE A TASK FORCE TO HELP STUDENTS PASS THIS SPECIFIC "INTRO" COURSE that Dr. Mowshowitz is out of control.

I have friends in top 10 medical school who went to her office hours and were told they shouldn't be doctors (for asking questions about renal physiology). It neither puts you in or out of medical school- it just makes your time at Columbia crappy.

Wow. What year were you? Maybe she's gotten worse since I had her, but please don't make sweeping generalizations about people who had a different experience with a professor than you did - just because I didn't despise her to the level some premeds did does not make me a tool.

See my original post; I am a Columbia alum.

Wow. What year were you? Maybe she's gotten worse since I had her, but please don't make sweeping generalizations about people who had a different experience with a professor than you did - just because I didn't despise her to the level some premeds did does not make me a tool.

Sorry if that came across as targeted, but *in general* people who describe her as fair were the ones who did well. From my experience, people like that are a bit out of touch with peers who may have struggled for legitimate reasons or who sought help and did not get it. That's what I mean by tool- it's not the despising, it's the praise where praise is not due and willful ignorance that there's something wrong with her approach. She lectures well, but does not care about the lower percentile of students. The fact that this needs to exist should be a red flag, especially considering that Columbia students are supposed to be bright enough to handle anything.

http://www.studentaffairs.columbia.edu/csa/mtac

Something like this, on top of the lectures, long recitations, and problem sets is wholly inappropriate for a sophomore introductory class. None of the upper-level Biology courses expect that much of you. The argument that it teaches you how to be a medical student is silly as well, in part because she's not a doctor and you modeling your study habits after a course you took 2-3 years ago is unlikely.

I don't mean to scare/dissuade anyone from coming to Columbia- I just have a unique perspective as somebody who completed the curriculum at Columbia and has had to do additional coursework to pull my grades up. SDN has a selection bias for people who drastically underachieve and fail or people who are neurotic and did well. I'm somewhere in the middle! That's the last I'll say about Dr. M. In the worst case scenario, you fail out and get a finance job. =P

THIS.

If I go to my local State school, I can almost definitely obtain a 3.8-3.9 GPA since I’m a very smart guy and I have a realllyyy strong science background.
>Still in high school
>Really strong science background

Wut...

Anyway, I would recommend Columbia because you might very well decide medicine isn't for you, and Columbia will open many, many more doors outside of medicine. If you're willing to work hard and not party in the ridiculously awesome city that is NYC, you can even avoid a ton of grade deflation. If you're 100% going to die if you don't end up a physician, I'd say go to state school though, as a high GPA with a decent MCAT score will take you much farther than Columbia's name and a .3 lower sGPA.

Lol, I remember most of my friends complaining about the 20 page final paper they had to write LitHum (I think it was LitHum). And they also told me all the time about how Dr. Heicklen is crazy. ;)
lol dr heicklen is nice!

>Still in high school
>Really strong science background

Wut...

Ha, I lol'd a little at that. @medguy24 will find out soon enough how strong that science background really is...

If you're 100% going to die if you don't end up a physician, I'd say go to state school though, as a high GPA with a decent MCAT score will take you much farther than Columbia's name and a .3 lower sGPA.

This. The bottom line is that a 3.6 from any school is better than a 3.3 from a top 20 school 99.9% of the time. That doesn't mean that you won't get a 3.6 at Columbia or that a 3.3 is going to prevent you from going to med school. 3.3. is too low for the majority of MD schools unless the rest of your app is ridiculously stacked with ECs/high MCAT, but there are plenty of people that get lower than 3.3 and get into DO schools and end up as great physicians.

IMO you should go to an undergrad school where you'll have fun. Obviously study hard and get a solid GPA, but enjoy college as much as possible because once med school starts you aren't going to have the time or opportunity to do all the fun things that happen in undergrad. If you like your state school and know you want to be a doctor, that sounds like a good decision. But if you feel like you would be much happier at Columbia or you aren't sure about going to med school go there. Just don't go somewhere because you think that's what med school's want to see. Pick somewhere you'll enjoy, work hard while you're there, and don't get too far ahead of yourself and you should be fine.