Columbia vs. Cornell IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrambizle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the programs, so can anyone comment on the strengths of each program? How happy are the residents? I've heard that Columbia may be a little malignant, but what about Cornell? Good fellowship match from both? I know is a stupid question, but are they both part of NY Presbyterian Hospital? Most importantly, do you really have to transport patients and do blood draws all day?

Thanks

(I searched the topic and the last post was from 3 years ago)

Members don't see this ad.

Well, there's this thread a couple of posts down about cornell:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=678864

I've heard that Cornell is a little more research-focused than clinically focused as opposed to Columbia. I hear you get a little more autonomy at Columbia.

And I think the patient population differs a little bit. The above thread has a good explanation of the patient population at Cornell, while I've heard that Columbia's more of a hospital in the 'hood, and generally has a much more underserved population.

These are obviously gross generalizations based on hearsay, and I have interviewed at neither (though will be interviewing at both in about a month).

Clearly, you can and will be trained well at either program. And yes, they're both affiliated with the NYP system, formed when the New York Hospital System (Cornell), merged with Presbyterian Hospital (Columbia).

Columbia is ranked # 8 I believe in US World and News Report.

Columbia has more of a Hispanic population.

Cornell probably has a better location in NYC.

Bottom line: Both are great programs, and you will get great training. Best way to tell is to interview at both and see what suits your needs.