Columbia vs. Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aswelike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious...I've noticed in a lot of threads that Cornell's radiology residency is always held in higher regard than Columbia's. I can't, however, seem to figure out why that is. Can people help me understand why training at Cornell is better? Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Columbia's radiology department was a disaster about 10 years ago. Not sure exactly what the details are, but there was a lot of faculty turnover and they lost accreditation for resident slots, to the point that they had only 6 residents/class (which is absurd for a hospital system that massive). I believe this year they went back to 8 residents/class. Things have largely turned around by now, but they still have a weaker reputation in radiology than NYU, cornell, and even mt sinai

NYU and Cornell are grail status. Residents are happy and the programs have great reputations in the radiology community. Columbia is still very good, but the residents are tired and work very hard. Radiology training is very dependent on the diversity of cases at the hospital; you will get that at any of the three. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed last year and was pleasantly surprised. May have had issues in the past, but seemed like recent changes have made significant inroads, most notably a new chair a few years ago from Cornell (Schwartz, per residents a strong advocate for the program) and increase in class size to 8/year. While all the residents seemed happy not overworked, the latter change should improve the call schedule to be on par with most programs in the country.

Given the reputation of NYP and Columbia in general with top 5-10 (?) residencies in every other field, it's hard to believe that the radiology program is as bad as AM/SDN make it out to be. Great path, high volume. Though definitely not NYU in terms of research (or MGH/UCSF/etc for that matter) there is top 20 NIH funding and multiple residents in the Holman research track. Similarly while definitely a step behind Cornell in MSK (HSS) and mammo (MSKCC), there is strong peds (CHONY), neuro (top neurosurgery/neurology), and arguably one of the top IR departments in the city (recent acquisition of Weintraub previous chair of IR at Mt Sinai and some young faculty including one I think from Northwestern). At the end of the day I personally ranked lower due to few ties in NYC area but I can't imagine that the education and overall experience would be that much different than the other name academic centers in big cities I interviewed at (Cornell, Northwestern, U of C, UCLA, UCSD, etc). Just my thoughts though.

Thanks guys, that is all really helpful information.