COMAT Shelf Exams for NBOME

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mabinante

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our school, Touro CA, has just announced that we will be taking the COMAT NBOME shelf exams for our end-of-rotation exam. That is nice to know now that I only have 3 weeks left in IM until the test.

What are these tests like? I know they are 2 hours, CBT and 100 questions. How much OMM? Savarese sufficient for that?

What are the averages?

What is the best way to study for them? What qbank? MKSAP-2 helpful? Step up or First aid? Combank? Uworld? How much time should I take away from my actual IM rotation to put my head in a book and do practice ?'s?

Does the score show up on the NBOME website like it did for COMLEX?

Since no one at our school has taken a test ever before, it would be good to get some advice on this.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The COMAT exam is brand spanking new. Osteopathic schools until last year used NBME shelf exams, no one has any idea what the NBOME shelf exams are going to look like.

Sorry to say but you may just be a Guinea Pig

The COMAT exam is brand spanking new. Osteopathic schools until last year used NBME shelf exams, no one has any idea what the NBOME shelf exams are going to look like.

Sorry to say but you may just be a Guinea Pig

my family med cohort at my school, we had to beta test the family med comat last summer. i think that the questions were better written and clearer than comlex I. the questions weren't overly difficult (though not easy) if you worked/studied during your rotation. dunno what the means will be since that is based off of all the people who take the test and weighted. i know for us (maybe 25 ppl), our avg was about 70 raw %age of questions correct (and i went into it w/ zero studying and am not a daily keep up with the rotation study type either). but i also had im already and had to make up fm during the 1st rotation of 4th year b/c i missed it when i was a 3rd year so i might have already had a lot of subconscious background knowledge w/o knowing it even if i didn't actively study for the comat since we still had to take the written shelf for our final grade at the end of the course and i would study for that. all i know is that my raw %age was over the 70 mean (nbme gave us a score report like u get for comlex with subject areas and how well/badly u did in each plus final score out of 100) and over 620 (what we needed to honor the shelf but i don't know the exact score, just that i got the 3/3 pts on the breakdown for this cmpt of my fm grade; i did study for the written shelf by reading blueprints the night b4). had a lot of ob/gyn and peds questions if i remember. there were also omm and prev med questions. some management (step 2 type) questions esp with im and surg. some psych but not loads if i remember right.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
We at DMU also just found out that we will be taking the COMAT exams for psych, surg, and OB/GYN so if there is anyone that has taken these exams yet and passed PLEASE let me know what you used and if you felt well prepared. Not a big fan of being the guinea pigs for a new exam :mad: