Combined Adult/ Child

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SJP

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know about doing 3 years of adult psych and then applying and completing 2 years of child fellowship, but I was wondering if there were any programs out of med school that combine the adult and child training (ie, you only apply to one program)

Members don't see this ad.

yes, but they're all 5 years - Institue of living has one, Yale has child/peds/psych, there's 3 I think, but most include peds.

Essentially you have to do your 3 year core anyway, so its like combining when you go straight into your fellowship after 3rd year. Many programs take their own, so I wouldn't worry about getting the fellowship. Child still is NOT very competitive. Now forensics, VERY.

Poety said:
yes, but they're all 5 years - Institue of living has one, Yale has child/peds/psych, there's 3 I think, but most include peds.

Essentially you have to do your 3 year core anyway, so its like combining when you go straight into your fellowship after 3rd year. Many programs take their own, so I wouldn't worry about getting the fellowship. Child still is NOT very competitive. Now forensics, VERY.

True for the most part, but there are super-competitive child fellowships that can make a 5-year program worthwhile. The other bonus to the combined programs is that most will let you do pediatrics instead of medicine (if you like that sort of thing). :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Doc Samson said:
True for the most part, but there are super-competitive child fellowships that can make a 5-year program worthwhile. The other bonus to the combined programs is that most will let you do pediatrics instead of medicine (if you like that sort of thing). :scared:

My program lets you do peds instead of medicine, but I'm in the most awesome program around :D I'm not doing peds however, I'm not into pedi types and I dont' think I'd get enough outta that rotation :eek:

Poety said:
I'm not into pedi types and I dont' think I'd get enough outta that rotation :eek:

Amen sister. I like the patients (the kids), I don't even so much mind the parents, but pediatricians are SO tightly wound. I remember doing peds after medicine and surgery, where patients we're coming in to the ED with massive MIs or in 8 different ziploc bags after a farming accident, and the residents and attendings are completely cool, doing their job with minimum fuss. On peds, they were all running around and yelling in a hysterionic fashion about a 7 year old with a sore throat. :confused:

I did a little adolescent med elective my first year, but my peds sub-i cured me of wanting to do any pedi inpt: it was July, not flu season, how bad could it be, right? I got:

-walking PNA
-supperative otitis
-some nasty GI bug

those damn mouthbreathers! almost killed me! :p

Hey I know this feed is pretty old, but I was wondering if anyone had updated information on combined Adult/Child psych residencies. I am finding it hard to find a list of programs. Thanks!

Hey I know this feed is pretty old, but I was wondering if anyone had updated information on combined Adult/Child psych residencies. I am finding it hard to find a list of programs. Thanks!

University of Vermont (2 spots)
Dartmouth (1 spot)
Yale
UMass

These are programs I know of in New England. But I honestly think there is a list on AACAP's website.

In Texas, only UTMB

UTH has one too.
Vandy also has one that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread yet.

Anyways: I'd think about these before really committing though, unless you're really sure you want to be somewhere/at a particular program for 5 years. I personally ended up deciding it was hard to know exactly what I wanted in a CAP program at this point in my training - it would have been like choosing residency spots comboed into med school acceptance - it's hard to know what's important/what you want out of it pre residency.

Virtually every program (at least I didn't interview at any that did not allow it) will let you fasttrack into child regardless of whether or not they offer 5 year slots in the match.

Many programs like to take their own grads for fellowships, but in general psychiatry fellowships are less competitive than general residency spots, meaning that often the program is getting a better deal by locking you into their CAP program than you are by taking the 5 year slot.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the replies! I did not know about the vandy program. I think one of my motivations for doing a combined program would be the early exposure to pediatrics and child psychiatry. I would prefer to not go through 3 years of a strictly adult psychiatry residency before I saw a child.

Thanks for all of the replies! I did not know about the vandy program. I think one of my motivations for doing a combined program would be the early exposure to pediatrics and child psychiatry. I would prefer to not go through 3 years of a strictly adult psychiatry residency before I saw a child.

You should be getting this in any decent program regardless of whether your child fast track or not imo.

As another note - all of my mentors suggested against replacing neurology months with pedi neuro months during first year - you'll have required pedi neuro as part of CAP fellowship anyway and 2 months is already a brief neuro experience. Trading out a medicine month for peds is probably fine depending on the breakdown of the 4 med months.

Most programs I interviewed at had required child rotation(s) during the first 2 years and/or elective time for it + child cases for outpatient 3rd year. A lot of how much child you can do beyond the required is up to you and if you're interested at most places you can increase your # of child cases.

IMO I'd still apply and check them out - but if you want to broaden your scope of apps just make sure you apply to places with CAP fellowships (in my experience the majority of university programs have them - it's the most common fellowship I think) so that you can at least guarantee you'll have some resources/potential mentors/rotations.

The main advantage of doing combined programs is to people who are dead set on doing a primarily research career in C&A. Several of the child tracks identfied with seperate match numbers are actually child research tracks and some are 6, not five years.

Specifically, if you are designated as both a child and adult resident from day one, the ACGME allows the residency program to combine a few requirements, allowing you to free up more time for electives/research. Combined research programs back load the research so that you don't have to go from protected time in pgy3/4 to heavy pt load and call in first year of fellowship.

In you don't want to spend almost all of your career doing research, the choice comes down to personal ideology. If you are passionate about working with kids, dislike working with adults (don't say that too loudly), then go for the training program that maximizes exposure to kids, especially if you will never work with adults past residency.

Just remember that the attitude for most of psych, like most of medicine, is very adult first (hence the training setup most people go through).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I should add that a decent number of academic programs without specific child tracks allow you do 4 months of peds over IM, some allow 1-3 months, some allow 1 months of child neuro, and some allow a lot of child inpt exposure. Only 20% of your outpt year can be child though, I think. There are also programs that will allow you to be garunteed a child spot post match but don't have a separate number... Check websites.

I don't know of any program that would have zero child exposure in the first three years--keep in mind that all psych residents are required to have CAP exposure, and most will offer some combo of inpt/outpt in the first 3 years to meet that requirement.

Many programs will allow you to substitute neuro with child neuro and medicine with peds.

Regarding the "combined" child programs, I just want to mention that MANY of us start residency convinced we will be doing child and change our mind by third year. I think folks who start residency intending to do child who actually do are more the exception than the rule.

Just something to keep in mind before limiting program choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are we talking about Triple Board programs? UK, Tulane, and Utah have triple board spots.

You can get into a 2 year program after just 3 years of general, but programs usually take their own trainees first for the combo program.