Combined FM/IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

digambara

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello - I would like to combine FM and IM training. Is it possible to do so at an institution that does not have an established combined program?

Members don't see this ad.

The question I have is why exactly would you want to do FP/IM? There is a lot of overlap and I don't really see a benefit to it. It will probably be a lot harder to convince two programs to make a combined program for you if it is not already established.

The question I have is why exactly would you want to do FP/IM? There is a lot of overlap and I don't really see a benefit to it. It will probably be a lot harder to convince two programs to make a combined program for you if it is not already established.
The benefit would come into play in regard to career flexibility, ability to specialize, and potential breadth of practice. I'd consider the IM/FM route if it were available nearby- I want the ability to specialize in an IM field down the road (if I go down that path), but would also like the training in OB and peds. A combined program gets you the ability to specialize and the ability to work with basically all patient populations for only one extra year of training, something that I find quite appealing as someone that wants to someday work in a rural environment where I might be one of the only providers in a hundred mile radius. Just figured I'd shine some light on the "why" of the IM/FM dual path, though OP could have entirely different motivations.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The benefit would come into play in regard to career flexibility, ability to specialize, and potential breadth of practice. I'd consider the IM/FM route if it were available nearby- I want the ability to specialize in an IM field down the road (if I go down that path), but would also like the training in OB and peds. A combined program gets you the ability to specialize and the ability to work with basically all patient populations for only one extra year of training, something that I find quite appealing as someone that wants to someday work in a rural environment where I might be one of the only providers in a hundred mile radius. Just figured I'd shine some light on the "why" of the IM/FM dual path, though OP could have entirely different motivations.

In your situation, I would look at IM-Peds programs. Admittedly that doesn't give you exposure to OB but, in the right program, you can certainly have adequate preparation to do any outpatient gyn you want after residency. In my experience, it is very hard to do OB well from many FM programs especially if you are interested in rural practice where you will not have much (and perhaps no) backup. From my perspective, most rural destined physicians would be best off deciding if they want to do OB and if they do then they should pursue an OB-Gyn residency.