Combined IM or FP/Psych and Veterans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bakfiets

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all... A quick question to check the pulse of the group.

How many people would be interested in a training program that trains in the patient centered medical home model in both primary care and psych (double boarding) and that offered a track in the care of returning and underserved veterans. Things like addiction, PTSD, mood, etc... PLUS managing their primary care.

With the stimulus funds I expect residency programs will have the chance to partner with VAs and the VA system is looking for combined IM or FP/Psych docs. Talk about your chance to make a difference with a population in need!

Is there any interest?

Members don't see this ad.

This is HUGE. I am a current FM/Psych resident and my program spends a significant amount of time at the VA. My background in both primary care and psychiatry is constantly utilized in this setting, and many of my categorical colleagues on both sides seek me out to "curbside" me for help.

I think the proposed training program model you described is FANTASTIC. Almost makes me wish I could jump ship and come train there. Or get a job there after residency...hmmmm....

I think that is a great idea. From what I understand there is a significant amount of comorbidity between disease states and psychiatric problems. The veteran population would especially benefit because their age-related or traumatic medical problems can be addressed from a medical/psych perspective which can really increase the effectiveness of coming up with a treatment plan.