Combined Internal Medicine/Anesthesiology Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
http://www.theaba.org/Home/AnnouncementLetter

Just read about it in the ASA Newsletter. 5 year combined program.

Thoughts? Opinions? Pros/cons?

I don't see why anyone would do it unless they are really interested in academics.

What practical setting would such training be useful? You can do CCM through anesthesiology.

It's just me, but it seems like a waste of a year. Just do your prelim year in medicine at a place where you work hard/see a lot, and combine that with a good anesthesia residency program, and you'll be fine. That's what I did.

I don't see why anyone would do it unless they are really interested in academics.

What practical setting would such training be useful? You can do CCM through anesthesiology.

It's just me, but it seems like a waste of a year. Just do your prelim year in medicine at a place where you work hard/see a lot, and combine that with a good anesthesia residency program, and you'll be fine. That's what I did.

I agree-- there is a pediatrics/anesthesiology 5 year track but this makes sense because you can't do Peds CCM without the pediatrics training. But as rsgillmd said, you can easily do adult CCM going straight anesthesia. Plus, most of us can't stand the thought of clinic, chronic disease management, etc. that is IMs focus, so you would have to have a very compelling reason, IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
The other talk around academic watercoolers is to make anesthesia 5 year residency with CCM as a fellowship incorporated.

Completing IM residency would allow you to do a 2 year ABIM CCM fellowship or Pulm/CCM fellowship. For an academic hard charger there are some, although very small, advantages to having that as an option.

The other talk around academic watercoolers is to make anesthesia 5 year residency with CCM as a fellowship incorporated.

Why 5 years? with an integrated PGY-1 year doing 6 months of CCM, then having another 6 months spread throughout your CA1-3 years you should be able to knock it out without spending any more time as a resident.

The extra six months is what Oregon does for their combined program I believe

So... people decided they liked anesthesia, but there just wasn't enough rounding on low acuity ward patients in it to keep them interested?

What if you love primary care, but also love perioperative care that you get to do as an anesthesiologist?
May be you can do primary care few days out of the week as an internist and do anesthesia for private clinic surgeons who only operate day or two out of the week?
I'm not sure how well this can work out, but it seems possible.
Also, wouldn't this be great for people who wants to do global health since they can accommodate for both shortage of general practitioners and anesthesiologists as needed in the third world country?

Dude, if you love primary care and clinic, Anesthesia is not for you. We can't wait for our patients to go to sleep fast enough. And no, you cannot mix primary care with anesthesia, especially not in today's corporate employee world (fewer and fewer private groups). The only way to mix IM with anesthesia is to do "perioperative medicine", as part of a periop surgical home, or to do CCM.

Regarding "global health": if you are basing your career choices on that, you are either a fool or a saint, sir, and I still have to meet one of the latter (you can recognize them by the fact that they keep behaving like saints even when they get older and wiser).

Think a bit about this quote: “If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” (Winston Churchill)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Think a bit about this quote: “If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” (Winston Churchill)

What do you do in your late 20's, early 30's? =D =D =D

Hey guys, I've been looking into this as a possible way of doing something that no one has probably done. I have interest in concierge medicine and coming from a poor background I can provide low cost/free healthcare to the poor/homeless community with a board certification in IM. At the same time I was thinking of doing part time anesthesia and getting my primary income from that. There is anesthesiologist I shadow in my town and his group has part time anesthesiologists who work 4 times a week. If I found work in a similar group then I could have time to provide my concierge services. Any thoughts? Thanks

Hey guys, I've been looking into this as a possible way of doing something that no one has probably done. I have interest in concierge medicine and coming from a poor background I can provide low cost/free healthcare to the poor/homeless community with a board certification in IM. At the same time I was thinking of doing part time anesthesia and getting my primary income from that. There is anesthesiologist I shadow in my town and his group has part time anesthesiologists who work 4 times a week. If I found work in a similar group then I could have time to provide my concierge services. Any thoughts? Thanks

That's not concierge medicine, that's charity care.

Pick the specialty you like the most, get at least part of the way through that, and if you still think you want to do more you still have that option. Apply for anesthesiology but do an IM intern year if you want to "combine" things a bit, but don't make the medical student mistake of signing away additional years of your life without truly understanding what that means.

The cart is before the horse. Your status says pre-med. I would concentrate on getting into medical school and then doing well in medical school.

Ultimately you will have ample opportunity to do charity work if you want to. If you want to work part time (in whatever field) you can do that too. Don't sweat the details of combined residencies and your work schedule just yet ...

The cart is before the horse. Your status says pre-med. I would concentrate on getting into medical school and then doing well in medical school.

Ultimately you will have ample opportunity to do charity work if you want to. If you want to work part time (in whatever field) you can do that too. Don't sweat the details of combined residencies and your work schedule just yet ...

I need to pay more attention to that "status" tab...

@Nivens @pgg I have a few acceptances so far for the entering class of 2017. Thanks for the responses guys.