Combined program vs not for jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anbuitachi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For 5 yr combined programs ( with IM or Peds), assuming afterwards we pursue a Anesthesiology job, do employers prefer graduates of non combined programs? I see from combined description tha tresidents spend total of 2.5 yrs in IM/Peds and 2.5 yrs on Anesthesia. A regular anesthesia resident would get 3 yrs vs 2.5 yrs in combined. would that be viewed negatively?

Members don't see this ad.

In the current environment, with the PSH delirium, I would argue that combined IM/Anesthesia would be viewed rather positively (especially if interested in a CC fellowship). Peds is basically worthless, except maybe for some esoteric cases of Peds anesthesia.

Last edited by a moderator:
For 5 yr combined programs ( with IM or Peds), assuming afterwards we pursue a Anesthesiology job, do employers prefer graduates of non combined programs? I see from combined description tha tresidents spend total of 2.5 yrs in IM/Peds and 2.5 yrs on Anesthesia. A regular anesthesia resident would get 3 yrs vs 2.5 yrs in combined. would that be viewed negatively?

You shouldn't do a combined peds-anesthesia residency if you plan on finishing and going out for a general anesthesiology position. I don't recommend it even if you plan to be a pediatric anesthesiologist at a large academic subspecialty center that does the most complicated cases. You should only do it if you want to do a combination of PICU and peds anesthesia, or are interested in a career in pediatric pain management, with a few other options.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thinking of IM anesthesia

In the current environment, with the PSH delirium, I would argue that combined IM/Anesthesia would be viewed rather positively (especially if interested in a CC fellowship). Peds is basically worthless, except maybe for some esoteric cases of Peds anesthesia.

What is a PSH delirium?

Perioperative Surgical Home.
I'm looking at Perioperative Home Fellowships so that I can learn how to properly preop a patient and learn how to design a proper anesthetic plan.
What scores do I need for this? Does MGH have one? What can I expect of my take home pay? DO OK?

Posted using SDN Mobile