Comfort Dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If they win the lawsuit, I'm done. The professors stated their opinion and did not hold their students at gun point to agree with them. The fact that they got angry over some professors tells how confident they are.

Yeah, except don't be "done." Every one of us who stands for independence is another thorn in their side.

Those profs simply told the truth. If it goes to court, free speech might win out over slander, but one never knows how far a corporation would go to win; Comfort might do some nasty things behind the scenes.

Students and residents, do a small gedankenexperiment: If no doctors ever agreed to work for Comfort Dental, there would not be a Comfort Dental.

Be strong.

Members don't see this ad.

CU backed off, it's already over. They issued an apology. Everything that was posted after my last reply I am going to agree with. I don't think it is worth it for all that we go through. I agree with Shunwei. Like I said, I net over $300K per year, but I feel like I am sacrificing my physical and mental health. I don't think any of us went into dentistry for this.

Members don't see this ad :)
CU backed off, it's already over. They issued an apology. Everything that was posted after my last reply I am going to agree with. I don't think it is worth it for all that we go through. I agree with Shunwei. Like I said, I net over $300K per year, but I feel like I am sacrificing my physical and mental health. I don't think any of us went into dentistry for this.

From the original article: "The CU dental school is not being named as a defendant." Why did an apology from the institution cause Comfort Dental to withdraw the lawsuit against the professors? Do you have a link or anything to the issued apology?

Sorry, the professors, not the school. I have no link, just the updates I heard in the company. Apparently this has happened before.

I didn't read the whole thread, but if chain dental offices charge less than private practices, how can private practice dentists stay in business? Seems like people would go for the cheaper dental care at places like Aspen, Comfort, etc.

I didn't read the whole thread, but if chain dental offices charge less than private practices, how can private practice dentists stay in business? Seems like people would go for the cheaper dental care at places like Aspen, Comfort, etc.
On paper corporate office looks great. WAW a PFM crown for only $240. In real life instead of light scaling patient must have a cleaning with irrigation for $800. In one of the offices we got an estimate for a three unit bridge as $4500 with insurance and $7000 without. By the plan it should have been no more then $1620. In another office we were charged for a bone crown lengthening which was not performed at all and got a crown which was so high it had to be drilled to the metal on the occlusal to become somewhat comfortable. And I told them, beforehand, that I am a dentist and understand everything. Unfortunately I am not able to practice due to disability and we are new here - moved from Canada a couple of years ago
Eventually we got fed up with dishonesty and changed plans.

Great Uncle,
If you don't mind me asking, how is the buy-in/financing structured with Comfort?

Let me ask you Mr. Comfort Dental.

Why is it that Comfort Dental doesn't believe in digital X-rays? Is the Lean and Mean policy helping doctors be more efficient with their old film X-rays and make appropriate diagnosis for their patients?

Comfort doesn't believe in providing best equipment on the market for their doctors, while expecting high profit margins... All in the name of GREED.

Where are the Comfort Dental crowns processed, since they are being sold to patients dead cheap? China?

Comfort Dental and other chains are hurting the doctors and their patients, I hope this post warns future doctors from joining this Walmart-style dentistry.

Just wanted to correct a couple of your misconceptions.

I opened a scratch start Comfort Dental (which I own equal shares of with 2 partners) after graduating in 2013. The 200k income is greatly skewed. I too was skeptical about the advertised pay before purchasing a partnership. Through 10 months of this year I have earned 310k after loan payments.

We have a digital xray system and panoramic. Since all Comfort Dentals are owned and operated by the Dentists, it is up to each office what technology is used.

Our crowns and removable prosthetics are processed by our lab in Denver.

To bunch Comfort Dental with Corporate Dentistry is quite far from the truth. Our practice is in an area of high needs, and we strive to give quality care to each of our patients (350 new per month).

Not only do we take the time and effort to show our appreciation to our patients on the initial visit, but also by calling every patient given anesthetic the same evening of their appointment to see how they are doing.
....I honestly do not know of many other private practitioners that call patients to check on them post-visit.

If seeing high volumes of patients classifies Comfort as a Walmart of dentistry then so be it. We offer our highest quality care to all patients, give the patients what they want, and never push aggressive treatment plans on the patients. Affordable dentistry is not synonymous with low quality dentistry, and more expensive does not mean better.

kuschner is just another corporate shill...samir you are a disgrace

kuschner is just another corporate shill...samir you are a disgrace
Thanks for your kind words. My patients seem to be quite satisfied with the treatment they receive at my office. It might be more beneficial to you and SDN as a whole if you formed an educated opinion prior to leaving hate comments, instead of basing your views off preconceived notions of the work I provide. I take pride in my practice and the treatment I provide to my patients. Damn near every single patient that comes to my office says that the care they receive here is top notch. So if giving the best treatment possible to your patients at affordable prices is disgraceful, then I guess I'm guilty.

One could also argue that a private practice settings where the patient is charged double-triple for the same work is disgraceful. I simply posted here to give an honest view of my experience with Comfort Dental, not to argue with small minded, judgemental 'professionals' Its quite obvious that no views in this thread will be changed by my words but I hope that it will be evident that dentists that work for Comfort Dental are not 'evil corporate crooks.' Contrary, I strive to be the best dentist possible regardless of the name on my sign. If opinions wont be changed I hope some will at least read between the lines of the Corporate A-hole classification thats being put on us at Comfort.

It must be difficult to be in a position where most dentists see your relationship with a shady enterprise as a practice that is frowned upon.

Next time you mention Comfort Dental in dental circles, don't expect to be regarded as the most ethical and honest dentist a patient can see. It's a matter beyond preconceived notion.
Thanks for your kind words. My patients seem to be quite satisfied with the treatment they receive at my office. It might be more beneficial to you and SDN as a whole if you formed an educated opinion prior to leaving hate comments, instead of basing your views off preconceived notions of the work I provide. I take pride in my practice and the treatment I provide to my patients. Damn near every single patient that comes to my office says that the care they receive here is top notch. So if giving the best treatment possible to your patients at affordable prices is disgraceful, then I guess I'm guilty.

One could also argue that a private practice settings where the patient is charged double-triple for the same work is disgraceful. I simply posted here to give an honest view of my experience with Comfort Dental, not to argue with small minded, judgemental 'professionals' Its quite obvious that no views in this thread will be changed by my words but I hope that it will be evident that dentists that work for Comfort Dental are not 'evil corporate crooks.' Contrary, I strive to be the best dentist possible regardless of the name on my sign. If opinions wont be changed I hope some will at least read between the lines of the Corporate A-hole classification thats being put on us at Comfort.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey great uncle can I get your email? Like to ask some business questions

It must be difficult to be in a position where most dentists see your relationship with a shady enterprise as a practice that is frowned upon.

Next time you mention Comfort Dental in dental circles, don't expect to be regarded as the most ethical and honest dentist a patient can see. It's a matter beyond preconceived notion.

Cold Front,

As a dental student reading these replies, you appear to me to be making judgments on somebody's chosen career choice without any first hand knowledge of the facts.

You come of as condescending and unprofessional which doesn't add any credibility to your statements.

Whether it is private practice, public health or corporate dentistry, we are all colleagues who are striving to provide quality care to our patients regardless of the business model. Please keep that in mind.

I say this with the utmost respect for you and everyone else here on this board.

Cold Front,

As a dental student reading these replies, you appear to me to be making judgments on somebody's chosen career choice without any first hand knowledge of the facts.

You come of as condescending and unprofessional which doesn't add any credibility to your statements.

Whether it is private practice, public health or corporate dentistry, we are all colleagues who are striving to provide quality care to our patients regardless of the business model. Please keep that in mind.

I say this with the utmost respect for you and everyone else here on this board.

That is quite the assumption there...

That is quite the assumption there...

To be quite honest, I have met many dentists from various models of care delivery (i.e. corporate, public health and private) and the business model does not determine a persons level of "greed" or lack of integrity. Rather, it is the person's level of risk tolerance (if they are 5+ years out of school or without debt) that determines where they prefer to work.

For instance, I hear many public health dentists who say that they like the stability and peace of mind of their jobs and prefer not "having to sell dentistry". Others in private practice like the ability to call the shots on every level and the opportunity to make more money due to the increase in risk they are taking.

Corporate people are a mix of both. They like not having to be the boss but still like the opportunity to make more money with less risk and/or climb up the corporate ladder. All of these dentists are no more greedy than the others I have previously spoken about.

I hear many dental students having the same opinions of different types of delivery systems because of what they heard rather than looking at things objectively.

I say this as a non-traditional student. I will be finishing dental school in my late thirties and have run my own business for 10 years. I have real world experience working in corporations, on my own and for non-profits.

I think that many students coming out need to hear objective/fair answers to their questions on these message boards rather than be inundated with all this negative-speak from other colleagues who are not in a place to make assumptions about peoples career paths. Especially if someone is gracious enough to share their experience from an Aspen, Comfort, Western, etc.

For the record, there have been dentists that I have met that I felt were unethical and they had their own practice. When you have bills to pay, sometime ethics come into play, no?

Just like in school, let's make evidence-based opinions backed by real facts and research please so we can all benefit from these posts.

And to those students who are reading these posts trying to make one of the most important decisions of your life: before you take someone's word about xyz company, question the source as to how reliable their opinion is. Is it based on first hand experience or is it just gossip from a friend of a friend?

Good luck to you all in all your career paths!

Reactions: 2 users
Cold Front,

From a practicing dentist, who has worked in corporate dental offices, and with a first hand knowledge of the different types of dentistry a civilian dentist can practice in - my credibility can only be understood from a practicing dentist perspective, and not from a class room in a boring lecture.

Just like other valuable members on these boards, my opinions in certain practices of dentistry are helpful (if not to you) to many future doctors who can't afford to make mistakes in the real world. So, strive to be a great dentist and help all your patients, just don't be the clueless (future) dentist who is out of touch with the different shades of dentistry that are all waiting for you to choose from.

From a practicing dentist, who has worked in corporate dental offices, and with a first hand knowledge of the different types of dentistry a civilian dentist can practice in - my credibility can only be understood from a practicing dentist perspective, and not from a class room in a boring lecture.

Just like other valuable members on these boards, my opinions in certain practices of dentistry are helpful (if not to you) to many future doctors who can't afford to make mistakes in the real world. So, strive to be a great dentist and help all your patients, just don't be the clueless (future) dentist who is out of touch with the different shades of dentistry.
Cold Front,

Your are correct that I did not find your response to a previous post helpful. He gave his honest experience of Comfort Dental for the benefit of the SDN community and you simply insulted him. But that does not mean I do not respect your experiences and input.

We all would appreciate hearing your experiences from the places that you worked. The good as well as the bad if you wouldn't mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Considering partnering with comfort. Can anyone with experience there explain how scheduling works? Are you expected to see 2 columns of recafe/NPA's alongside your own 2 columns of restorative?! Assuming you see 15-20 pts total per day? Including perio and restorative?

What percentage of PTs are Medicaid vs ppo? Avg cost of filling, crowns, endo?

Last edited:
Considering partnering with comfort. Can anyone with experience there explain how scheduling works? Are you expected to see 2 columns of recafe/NPA's alongside your own 2 columns of restorative?! Assuming you see 15-20 pts total per day? Including perio and restorative?

What percentage of PTs are Medicaid vs ppo? Avg cost of filling, crowns, endo?
My local comfort dental office sees mostly Medicaid patients.

Have you considered opening your own practice and having more control over your schedule and career? You will sleep well at night.

My local comfort dental office sees mostly Medicaid patients.

Have you considered opening your own practice and having more control over your schedule and career? You will sleep well at night.

I did, cost of student loan repayment is already high without getting an expensive business loan. Comfort buy in seems considerably cheaper.....

I know many dentists and higher executives within Comfort. It's completely different from the other corporate chains. Every dentist within comfort owns 25% of their practice and has much more autonomy than an employee dentist elsewhere. There is a buy-in price depending on location and financing options available. Each office is typically staffed with 4 dentists, each working 30-36 hrs per week. They are open 7a-7p M-F and 7a-1p Sat. With 66 operating hours per week, revenue from 4 docs, bulk discounts from suppliers, and their own lab, they keep overhead between 40-45%. So a 2 million dollar comfort practice will pay its docs twice what a 2 million dollar private practice would @70% overhead. In states that permit, utilize EFDAs and typically work in quadrants. There are no treatment plan coordinators like you would find at any chain dental office, dentists handle the Tx plans every step of the way including the financials. That being said, these docs work long hard hours and the job isn't for everyone. Most of the dentistry is very basic, as dictated by their typical patient demographics. I don't like the idea of corporate/franchise dentistry but if I had to go with one, it would definitely be Comfort.

The latest and smartest move some corporate dentistry has made is the buy in option. It was implemented to minimize the attrition rate and to shift some of the management headaches to the local level. It remains to be seen how effective this gimmick is going to be. Unless Comfort is using a different accounting system, the claim that "every dentist within Comfort owns 25% of their practice" would be an exaggeration. If each office is being "staffed with 4 dentists", it would translate into 100% ownership by the 4 "employees" and 0% by the corporation. That they will exercise "much more autonomy" is debatable. The fine print for profit distribution needs to be scrutinized, since it may simply be a mirage.

Last edited:
I figured I should reply here, shed some insider insight on the subject. I even started an account just to do so.

I started an office from scratch with Comfort Dental right out of school. I vowed to do things right, to treat patients the right way, and not to do any of the evils I had always heard from professors about corporate dentistry.

The pros: We had a great standalone building on a busy street bringing in tons of patients. I quickly ramped up until I was producing about $50,000 per month four months in. (I think producing $50,000 is doable for anyone.) We kept overhead under 45%, so we did quite well. My practice loan payments are about $5,000 per month, but I still netted well over $200,000 my first year. Since I was a business owner who had just bought a business, my taxes were insanely low. The following year, I netted over $330,000. That is net after practice payments. On paper it was over $400,000. We see everybody, we treat them well, we call them the next day to see how they are doing, and my margins look just as good as anybody's. Our overhead is now under 40%, and I typically produce a little over 50K per month. Simple math, I take home over $30K per month.

The cons: I work my butt off. I put in well over 40 hours every week at work. Sure, I see patients for only 36 hours. But in order for me to be able to treat them well, I am going over X-rays and treatment plans and medicals for hours, along with running the business. Comfort Dental has NO office managers, so Dr does the books, ordering, payroll, HR crap, etc. Comfort Dental REQUIRES all offices to be open 7:30-7:30 M-F and 7:30-1:30 on Saturday. With three doctors in an office, the recommended schedule is basically four evenings a week and three Saturdays a month. I go home and on my days off just want to sleep. But, I have successfully made a killing seeing Medicaid and treating them just like anyone else. We have no hygienists! That's not mandated by corporate, but it's impossible to keep overhead low with hygienists netting more than some doctors after you take into account student loans and taxes.

The other: Yes, we do a lot of perio. But we see the patients that you don't see. Let me ask you, if you were the only family practice guy in the entire city that accepted Medicaid, and they on average have not been to a dentist in four years, (and many do drugs or just don't brush their teeth,) what percentage do you think would have active perio? AAP says 87%, we are right around 80%. Remember we just see a totally different class than most dentists. That has its pros and cons. The cons are you often chew gum so that you can't smell the perio, or the alcohol, or the pot, or whatever. (By often, pretty much all day.) The pros are they are super grateful for everything, and really easy going, with the exception of the druggies that we kick out ASAP. But most of them realize what great care they are getting at a great price.

Bottom Line: I quickly paid off all of my massive student debt. But I didn't become a dentist to work my butt off, or to work evenings and weekends. I won't be here long.

Just wondering....through Comfort Dental (and/or other corporate chains), how many years are you typically locked in for? CD sounds like a great starting point for a dentist fresh out of school (make some good money, pay off loans, increase skill set, etc), just as long as you aren't under contract for too many years.

Just wondering....through Comfort Dental (and/or other corporate chains), how many years are you typically locked in for? CD sounds like a great starting point for a dentist fresh out of school (make some good money, pay off loans, increase skill set, etc), just as long as you aren't under contract for too many years.

This is a valid question. I think many of the previous posters are making the assumption that new grads will choose corporate over private practice for life, as if you can only do one or the other. I see corporate dentistry becoming more and more popular for students with high debt levels and the increasing number of females entering the profession that may prefer a low stress part time gig that still pays well. There are some ambitious dental students on DentalTown that can't wait to work with Comfort or Heartland to save some money and increase their speed before starting up their own practices.

You'll hear that working for corporate will taint your reputation as a dentist. Really? ColdFront himself admits to working for a corporate office for a short while before starting his own practices. Does anybody look down on him for it? No! He's doing fantastic.
I know that ideally, one would enter private practice as an associate under a mentor, but those opportunities aren't as common as everyone would have you believe. I would say that 1/2 to 1/3 of my dental class has a dentist in their family that is ready to take them in and make them partner as soon as they graduate. For the rest of us, I don't see a problem with working for one of the "better" chains like Comfort or Heartland for a short time while doing our due diligence on a future practice/start up.

You'll hear that working for corporate will taint your reputation as a dentist. Really? ColdFront himself admits to working for a corporate office for a short while before starting his own practices. Does anybody look down on him for it? No! He's doing fantastic.
I know that ideally, one would enter private practice as an associate under a mentor, but those opportunities aren't as common as everyone would have you believe. I would say that 1/2 to 1/3 of my dental class has a dentist in their family that is ready to take them in and make them partner as soon as they graduate. For the rest of us, I don't see a problem with working for one of the "better" chains like Comfort or Heartland for a short time while doing our due diligence on a future practice/start up.
I agree.

I knew the downside of working at corporate dental office well before I started working at Aspen Dental (who is by the way one of the better chains to work for). I knew what I wanted to get out of it:

1. See tons of patients and increase my speed.
2. Learn the dynamics of running a practice.
3. Learn how staff are managed.
4. Learn a lot from the on-site oral surgeon.
5. Mentorship from senior dentist.
6. Quick to secure associate position after graduation than private practice.
7. Corporate dental chains sets some unrealistic goals for dentists, but the philosophy will later help in private practice ownership and boost confidence.
8. The option to leave anytime with 90 days notice, and not tied down to more stringent contracts in some private practices.
9. Aspen didn't have restrictive covenance/radius for associate dentists, so you could essentially leave and open a shop across the street, and compete the same market (but no soliciting existing patients).
10. I am still friends with my former colleagues who still work at my former corporate office, and I get some insight of their offices; from clinic to business updates.

For me, all I needed was 6 months to move on from corporate dentistry, others may need 2-4 years, maybe more. The goal is "where do you see yourself in 20-30 years?", and work backwards on meeting that goal.

Reactions: 5 users

That sums it up.