Coming back to patient care M3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mark-ER

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else having (or has had) hard time coming back to M3 year & patient care? What specifically was hard about it? I nominate:

(1) Forgot everything since USMLE Step I
(2) Whatever clinical skills I had are rustier than my car
(3) All former classmates now chief residents/fellows or worse yet private docs making big money (hence rusty allusion above)
(4) No respect -- getting bossed around, no one even considers your opinion
(5) The regurgitation mentality == no serious questioning of authority and why we do things the way we do things

feel free to add to the list and vent.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you thinking about going into ER. If yes, could you explain why?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else having (or has had) hard time coming back to M3 year & patient care? What specifically was hard about it? I nominate:

(1) Forgot everything since USMLE Step I
(2) Whatever clinical skills I had are rustier than my car
(3) All former classmates now chief residents/fellows or worse yet private docs making big money (hence rusty allusion above)
(4) No respect -- getting bossed around, no one even considers your opinion
(5) The regurgitation mentality == no serious questioning of authority and why we do things the way we do things

feel free to add to the list and vent.

(1)- It's actually worse than forgetting- everything sounds familiar but you can't put your finger on it. Don't worry though- it's only transient and you'll pick things up again quickly.
(2)- ditto
(3)- use that to your advantage. Your friends will be chiefs, who make the schedules. ask them to put you on a good team/light schedule. You will also be treated differently than everyone else- you won't get looked down upon as much (although I didn't find this to hold on OB/GYN). You might get to go home while on call even.
(4)- on the contrary, I found that I got a lot more respect the second time through. Some people say not to tell anyone you're an MD/PhD. I disagree. Make sure you tell the attendings in a subtle way, like when they pimp you on gastric vasculature say, "I'm sorry I don't remember that- I've been away from clinical medicine for X years doing my PhD so I'm a bit rusty". You will get mad props from attendings who will want you to be interested in their research. I saw that I was definitely treated BETTER than the other students. It probably didn't hurt that I was now 5 years older than the other students, so more mature as well.
(5)- I saw that attendings DID like it when you question WHY we do things or the validity of certain procedures/treatments. As long as you address this in a scientific way. I don't mean questioning why you have to write an H/P when the intern already has one in the chart. OB/GYN aside I didn't think this was so bad as an MD/PhD. But medicine is just that way and you need to live with that.

Good luck!

(4)- on the contrary, I found that I got a lot more respect the second time through. Some people say not to tell anyone you're an MD/PhD. I disagree. Make sure you tell the attendings in a subtle way, like when they pimp you on gastric vasculature say, "I'm sorry I don't remember that- I've been away from clinical medicine for X years doing my PhD so I'm a bit rusty". You will get mad props from attendings who will want you to be interested in their research. I saw that I was definitely treated BETTER than the other students. It probably didn't hurt that I was now 5 years older than the other students, so more mature as well.

Lol...that is the opposite of subtle.