COMLEX 1 Advice and Strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.TurkandJD

One Dream
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

First let me start by saying that I haven't been on SDN since I was accepted, and SDN was vital to me application process. As my life reached a new level, I am back to get SDN advice.

I am taking COMLEX 1 at the beginning of June and started studying a little in January and now doing this hard-core. That said, I have been doing some DIT Primers and FA, but now actually starting to read FA verbatim. I am a notoriously bad test taker, especially standardized exams. I would love any advice!

My plan of attack:
- Read and get through as much FA and DIT Primers until April 16th.
- Finish all of UWorld questions by April 16th.
- Do Anki cards for Pharm and Biochem.
- On April 16th, start the 45 day of DIT Part 2, do UWorld for the second time and Comquest.
( I am planning on using DIT to guide me through FA)

So far, I have been doing UWorld blocks (46 questions) on random, so obviously I am getting tested on things I don't know and have not yet learned/reviewed. My first block was 28%, second was 35%. Is that normal? What should I be at when I take the exam?

I am only taking COMLEX, would you recommend not wasting my time on Biochem and mostly just learning Biochem from UWorld explanations and Anki/Dit?

I am terrified of failure, especially since I just learned that 2015 is the year they "reset" the COMLEX. I am shooting for a 500-550, to be realistic. I would appreciate any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean reset the COMLEX?!

Every few years they change up some things about one of the COMLEX scoring scales. Level 1 is set to "reset" in May of 2015. Last year they did the same with Level 2.

OP, you need to be surpassing 47% at the very least before you take the exam. That's roughly passing. I believe average is ~60-65% (I read somewhere that for the COMLEX 65% is more like ~600, but either way its a solid score). Be sure to take COMSAEs, but they are a bit notorious for underestimating or generally not effectively estimating real test scores.

Last edited:
Every few years they change up some things about one of the COMLEX scoring scales. Level 1 is set to "reset" in May of 2015. Last year they did the same with Level 2.

OP, you need to be surpassing 47% at the very least before you take the exam. That's roughly passing. I believe average is ~60-65% (I read somewhere that for the COMLEX 65% is more like ~600, but either way its a solid score). Be sure to take COMSAEs, but they are a bit notorious for underestimating or generally not effectively estimating real test scores.
You talking about uworld or combank percentages?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently a third year DO student. Your study plan sounds really good right now. I had a similar approach but I got too overwhelmed and tired of just trying to read FA straight. My friend introduced me to USMLE-Rx which is a study program designed by the FA authors. The products they provide are essentially FA book in question/video/flashcard format. For the qbank, it's pretty cool because in the explanation section, it has a print screen image of the exact section in the FA book, including page numbers for the past several editions. I would check it out. It's a really cheap Qbank and I wish I spent more time on USMLE-Rx rather than UWorld. Our school gave us a promo code and it saved me quite a bit of money. Here are a few promo codes I found. Good luck!!

1) This deal contains qbank, videos, and flashcards. CHEAPEST one and I would get this if I were you. I had this package and liked it a lot. :)
6 month Step 1 Triple Play Bundle for $169 promotion --> COMPPOM7TRIP

2) USMLE-Rx has videos so it's similar to DIT:
6 month Step 1 Qmax/Express for $139 promotion --> COMPPOM7QMAXEX

3) If you want to study with flashcards but want to save time from making the flashcards on Anki, here is the promo code:
6 month Step 1 Qmax/Flash Facts for $139 promotion --> COMPPOM7QMAXFF

4) One year subscription for just qbank:
12 month Step 1 Qmax for $129 promotion --> COMPPOM8QMAX1

5) One year subscription for qbank, videos, and flashcards:
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

12 month Step 1 Triple Play for $199 promotion --> COMPOM8TRIP

These promo codes end on 5/6/15 so just a head's up!

Just found another one. If you want to purchase the qbank only for 6 months, here is the code. :)
6 month Step 1 Qmax for $99 promotion --> COMPPOM7QMAX1

What do you guys mean by comebank pass is 43 vs 60? Explanation plz? Hynix for your input,all.
I believe they're saying that if you are averaging 43+ on COMBANK, you have a high likelihood of PASSING the COMLEX. The overall average is about 60% on COMBANK. Not sure if that's right but that's how I understood it.

I believe they're saying that if you are averaging 43+ on COMBANK, you have a high likelihood of PASSING the COMLEX. The overall average is about 60% on COMBANK. Not sure if that's right but that's how I understood it.

I hope that's true. **fingers crossed**

took the comlex today... totally. different. beast. they are obsessed with detailed head, face, and neck anatomy you just don't see on the USMLE. In my experience, studying for USMLE and cramming OPP was not sufficient. Just my experience though.

Of the 400 questions, it felt like 80% were just micro, OPP, head anatomy, renal, gyn, and cardio. and a few brachial plexus Qs for good measure. This exam was completely inappropriate for measuring what I learned in first two years.

Reactions: 3 users
For those of you who are reading this from 2016, What exactly can we bring to the COMLEX? I've heard that we can bring notes to stuff in our lockers for breaks, but does that mean I can stuff a first aid in my locker? Also, how much time do we get for breaks? The NBOME website says we get a 40 minute break at the end of section four, and if we choose we can take two other breaks, but the time will be deducted from our total time for those last two breaks. I heard something different from the school. Now I'm worried. As I have to pee quite a bit and I always need every single second during these tests. So can we save our 15 minute tutorial time to take bathroom breaks?

So far, I have been doing UWorld blocks (46 questions) on random, so obviously I am getting tested on things I don't know and have not yet learned/reviewed. My first block was 28%, second was 35%. Is that normal? What should I be at when I take the exam?

I am only taking COMLEX, would you recommend not wasting my time on Biochem and mostly just learning Biochem from UWorld explanations and Anki/Dit?

I am terrified of failure, especially since I just learned that 2015 is the year they "reset" the COMLEX. I am shooting for a 500-550, to be realistic. I would appreciate any advice!
You want to score at least 50%+ on every block and hopefully finish with a 60%+ average...

You should at least finish with 50%+ average on Uworld to feel confident that you will have a chance pass USMLE step1 if you are using the [2.3 x (Uworld average) + 84] formula that is circulating out there...

I used 20% of that stuff as a MD student and my average was in the high 50%; I thought that was bad. That 43%+ stuff definitely put my score into perspective...

Yeah that was what I (and apparently the bot that posted after me) was saying. That was based on what Combank said.

...Also, how much time do we get for breaks? The NBOME website says we get a 40 minute break at the end of section four, and if we choose we can take two other breaks, but the time will be deducted from our total time for those last two breaks. I heard something different from the school. Now I'm worried. As I have to pee quite a bit and I always need every single second during these tests. So can we save our 15 minute tutorial time to take bathroom breaks?

The only break you can take on the COMLEX is in the middle of the exam. That means 4 hrs (200 questions), 40 min break, 4 hrs (200 questions). Unless things have changed this is how it was. You have the option to take breaks after each 100 questions, but any time you take those breaks outside of the one in the middle its deducted from your time for that 4 hr block. From what I remember, the 15 min tutorial time doesn't help you.

For the USMLE, you have a set amount of time for breaks (45 min + 15 min if you skip the tutorial) and you can take a break after every block, but only up to a total max of your allotted break time.

You want to score at least 50%+ on every block and hopefully finish with a 60%+ average...

You should at least finish with 50%+ average on Uworld to feel confident that you will have a chance pass USMLE step1 if you are using the [2.3 x (Uworld average) + 84] formula that is circulating out there...

DOs should be scoring in the 60s at least if they are planning to take the USMLE. 50s in my opinion would be far too risky for someone to take it given the chances of getting <210-215 being too high. I think the Uworld average for step 1 was around 64% correct.

Reactions: 1 users