Comlex and Step 1 scores for surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cuongoff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got 232 on Step 1 and 584 on Level 1. Ideas on what to do if I wanted to pursue a career as a general surgeon?

Average Step 1 score for surgery is 232 and I can't remember for Level 1 but I think my score is well above the average for accepted students. Should i just forget about trying to go for allopathic and stick with osteopathic?

Members don't see this ad.

I got 232 on Step 1 and 584 on Level 1. Ideas on what to do if I wanted to pursue a career as a general surgeon?

Average Step 1 score for surgery is 232 and I can't remember for Level 1 but I think my score is well above the average for accepted students. Should i just forget about trying to go for allopathic and stick with osteopathic?

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf

Edit: Page 106, 45 out of 139 independent applicants matched GS between 231-240 on Step 1. If you can hit 240+ on Step 2, get positive LORs, honor clinical grades, and apply broadly, you still have a good chance to match at an ACGME program.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, DOs are lumped with IMGs, FMGs, 5th pathway, etc... There's no way for us to tell for certain the likelihood of matching a specific specialty based on the Step scores.

Personally I'd like to believe that a DO with step1 of 232 is in a better position than an IMG/FMG with the same score. However the lack of data at this time compels us to say that both have the same stand, given that everything else in their application is equal.

Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 1 users
Unfortunately, DOs are lumped with IMGs, FMGs, 5th pathway, etc... There's no way for us to tell for certain the likelihood of matching a specific specialty based on the Step scores.

Personally I'd like to believe that a DO with step1 of 232 is in a better position than an IMG/FMG with the same score. However the lack of data at this time compels us to say that both have the same stand, given that everything else in their application is equal.
Somewhere significantly worse than MDs, somewhere significantly better than IMGs. I don't know if where it falls on that spectrum is that important but I do wish NRMP had done separate DO statistics.

Somewhere significantly worse than MDs, somewhere significantly better than IMGs. I don't know if where it falls on that spectrum is that important but I do wish NRMP had done separate DO statistics.
I think (hope) that with the merger, they will create a new separate category for us.

There's no way for us to tell for certain the likelihood of matching a specific specialty based on the Step scores.
cFUx4f

Yep. I really which the NRMP "Charting Outcomes in the Match" would separate DOs from IMGs and prior US grads.