COMLEX in lieu of USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KCOM2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy all!

Which Allopathic EM programs will accept COMLEX scores in lieu of USMLE? I'm trying to create a list for myself, so fire away.

I did not (and will not) take the USMLE. FREIDA is sometimes less-than-clear on this issue. So, figured you guys and gals would know.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I
Howdy all!

Which Allopathic EM programs will accept COMLEX scores in lieu of USMLE? I'm trying to create a list for myself, so fire away.

I did not (and will not) take the USMLE. FREIDA is sometimes less-than-clear on this issue. So, figured you guys and gals would know.

Thanks.
Is there any reason why you won't/didn't take USMLE? I recently attended a conference with EM PDs where it was made clear that if you didn't take USMLE you would likely not get much of a look.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should take both USMLE exams (if you only take one it would be advisable to destroy it) or focus on AOA programs. Trying to match ACGME with only COMLEX is a recipe for heartache and disaster.

it's hard but not impossible to get in allopathic programs. a lot don't know how to read a comlex and that's ok, it's not their job to. it's already oct. you can take usmle 2, hopefully slam dunk it and let the programs extrapolate what your usmle 1 score would be. otherwise it's a crapshoot if they'll interview you or not. I remember most are pretty open about it and will give you a shot if you're a good candidate. some will flat out not. best thing is to call the program and ask

with the md/do merger happening from 2015 and complete by 2020 i don't know how the exams will make a difference