Comlex level 1 2010 experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr1216

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just realized that we haven't gotten one started year (at least I didn't find one with the search). So, for those of you who have taken it already, please share your experiences (subject break down, types of questions, what resources you used and would recommend , additional advice, etc).

Congratulations on being done!

Members don't see this ad.

To those of you who had a lot of repro on your test: How do you think FA does for this, and how could you possibly prepare better for it (just in case).

Also.. How predictive were the COMSAEs for you all?

I had a lot of repro on my test and I didn't think that First Aid prepared me all that well for it. I'd say read up the repro section in Goljan, but even then the questions were still pretty vague and tough. Good luck! I didn't take COMSAE's so I can't comment on those, but they're supposed to under-predict by about 30 points or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else find it odd that the last exam dates that were scored were those taken on or before April 27th??? :eek:

What the heck is going on, NBOME? :annoyed:

Seriously WTF? Its a freaking computer based exam. They probably could have given us a rough score the minute we finished the test. I'm almost a month out and I'm starting to get restless already.

Just got the score back, just want to thank people on here for the advice, did much better than I thought, actually went up almost 60 pts from my comsae, though I took that about a month before I took the actual test, happy about the score, but falling in love with rads and don't know how competitive it will be, but we will see

Score: 560+

Thanks so much for the update!!!! Sounds like you both did AWESOME!

I guess they are just not posting the score release under the announcements.

I'm getting scared now . . . :eek:

Also, when did you both take your exam? Thanks!

Last edited:
I took mine 5/28, but I have talked to two people who took it 6/1 and 6/6 and both have their scores back, good luck to everyone who has not checked or received their score

For anyone that is curious. Took COMSAE A 4 days before the real test, scored 21 points higher on COMLEX.

Took mine 6/9. Still waiting on that damn usmle
score though, and I took that in May! pray for me ;)

I did 40pts better on comlex vs comsae C fyi

also, any idea how to figure out my percentile? I'm still not even sure what a "good" comlex score is. I want to go into something competitive (fingers crossed)

good luck!

I think the latest I heard anyone get their scores back were those who took it on the 15th or so

I took mine on the 15th and have no scores as of this morning. The latest date posted as far as I've heard is the 9th (see MikeMD).

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have their scores can you post your comparison to your COMSAE exams. Thanks

My bad, I thought a friend of mine had taken the COMLEX on 6/15 and had gotten their score. They took it on 6/8 and gotten their score

no problem...made me nervous for a bit until i rechecked though...:)

Took the exam on the 15 and also did not get my score. Hopefully we do not become the "new April 28th people" and have to wait over two months to get them. Though with the NBOME nothing would surprise me.

Hey all. Scores are in for what seems to be a random assortment of test dates. There is a percentile score converter on www.nbome.org if you look on the left side of the screen. It's on the main page, not the login/account page. The data is for previous years' tests but if you check your score against the 08-09', 07-08' or previous tests you'll get the idea.

In summary of my earlier post (put up right after taking the test) I was pleasantly surprised by my actual score. Hopefully that's the trend for everyone :thumbup:!

And after reading about how to interpret the 2-digit score I still don't understand it. Moving on with life :laugh:

took the exam on 6/10/10

690/95

according to the percentile converter above = 99%

took the exam on 6/10/10

690/95

according to the percentile converter above = 99%

Solid work! :thumbup: It's a nice feeling to know you killed a test, especially one that can seem poorly written and vague at times like COMLEX. I was mid 600's and have only seen a couple scores here and there from friends that were around 690 so good work.

I predict a great score on USMLE as well.... would be very surprised otherwise. I think maybe 30 or so in my class took both and from those of us who did well on COMLEX also did above avg on USMLE.

Haven't posted to the boards in forever...the joys of medical school :)

Just got my COMLEX 1 score, taken on 6/5/10: 730, 98
COMSAE: 748

Wow excellent scores for the previous posters. You guys are making me feel like a slouch with my score: 611/90. Someone please reassure me that my score is competitive lol. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

For anyone still a ways out and getting ready, I thought I would throw in my two cents on what worked for me:
1)USMLE first aid
2)USMLE world (did all the questions x2)
3)Goljan audio
4)Goljan Path Rapid Review
5)Doctors in Training
6)Savarese

My plan from early on was to take both USMLE & COMLEX. I focused on studying for the USMLE for most of the content and then used Savarese to fill in. I know there is a TON of material out there to use, so use whatever works, but don't use too many different things and get spread thin!

Just finished my last test!
It's really not that bad, but there were definitely some questions that were poorly written/had wrong answers/terrible answers. The repro really wasn't that bad. There was probably around 3 or so I had no idea on (for repro) and some random OMM crap that I just didn't know, but I think for about 15 questions or so I only knew from class and not from goljan/first aid. The pictures were just terrible, but the test for the most part was fairly simple. Time to cruise and drink now :cool:!!! CONGRATS ON YOU HIGH SCORERS!!!! 690 and 730 wow!

For those who have their scores can you post your comparison to your COMSAE exams. Thanks

I scored over 100 points better on my COMLEX than on COMSAE ver. A, and I took the COMSAE 7 days prior to my COMLEX.

There's probably a few good explanations for this:

1. More sleep: Our school doesn't give much time between finals week and rotations, so when I took the COMSAE, I wasn't very well rested, and was still feeling the post-finals burnout, so for the COMSAE, I didn't put the same amount of effort in.
2. Having read through the green book and first aid cover to cover once more in the days preceding the COMLEX.
3. I took the COMSAE in a study room alongside several other students. Obviously there weren't any distractions in the actual COMLEX, which was rather nice because I'm easily distracted.
4. The biggest factor, however, was that for the COMSAE I banged it out just shy of 2 1/2 hrs, and didn't really review any questions. For the COMLEX, if it was a tough question, I'd guess, mark it, finish, and then go back and really spend some time analyzing it. If time was left after that, I'd review the entire 50 question block. Because of this, I finished the COMLEX with around a half hour to spare.

Did anyone take it last fri July 9 like myself? I didn't think it was too bad but there was alot of interesting repro. And there was some question on steady states which is bothering me because I can't remember how it was worded!

good question pete, i'd like to know the same thing - are they usually released weekly, or in batches at say intervals of a month or more. thanks in advance for any inputs anyone might have!

Any idea when the next batch of scores might be released? I took it a few days after June 10th... Could they be out in like 2 weeks, or more like a month? Any educated guesses based on previous history?

good question pete, i'd like to know the same thing - are they usually released weekly, or in batches at say intervals of a month or more. thanks in advance for any inputs anyone might have!

An older thread said that they get released on Fridays. This last batch got released last Friday so I am thinking maybe a week from this Friday? Or hoping at least.

haha trust me you are not alone. i am sitting around watching everyone get their usmle scores, but nothin yet for us!

Do you know what time on Wednesday evening? I am relentlessly stalking the NBOME website hoping for more scores to be released. Is anyone else going insane waiting? :xf:

Kaplan Comlex Q bank 85% however I only used this at the end to see the style of questions and not for actually learning concepts
Kaplan USMLE q bank 75% used this for actually studying
COMSAE 650

COMLEX step 1 810/99

Started studying about two months before boards. Used all of the kaplan lectures and books. I really like the pharm especially, but not without the videos. Used goljan audio and book for pathology. Did only questions the last week.

Interesting score, especially since the max is 800 . . . :rolleyes:

Kaplan Comlex Q bank 85% however I only used this at the end to see the style of questions and not for actually learning concepts
Kaplan USMLE q bank 75% used this for actually studying
COMSAE 650

COMLEX step 1 810/99

Started studying about two months before boards. Used all of the kaplan lectures and books. I really like the pharm especially, but not without the videos. Used goljan audio and book for pathology. Did only questions the last week.

Ha Ha to the 810..but came on here to talk about release dates. I took the exam on the 21st of June and I made a complaint about the typing noise of someone taking another exam in the room for 6hrs. I recieved an email tonight stating that I should send in a written complaint BEFORE the scores are realeased. The deadline I was given to send it in is July 19th before 930 am, so this implies that no scores will be released before this date if you took it the date that I did. So 90% of my class, sry but we wont be recieving our scores until next week :(:(:(

itza, sorry to hear about your bad experience, hope that gets worked out for you somehow. but thanks for the input, that maybe gives us something to look forward to. so maybe next wednesday (usu wednesdays rite? or maybe even monday the 19th?) as a release date then for a june 21 test? hopefully they don't need like a week in between to process complaints...

Ha Ha to the 810..but came on here to talk about release dates. I took the exam on the 21st of June and I made a complaint about the typing noise of someone taking another exam in the room for 6hrs. I recieved an email tonight stating that I should send in a written complaint BEFORE the scores are realeased. The deadline I was given to send it in is July 19th before 930 am, so this implies that no scores will be released before this date if you took it the date that I did. So 90% of my class, sry but we wont be recieving our scores until next week :(:(:(

Last edited:

Last night, I found out that one of my friends got an e-mail like that too, only hers was about the Prometric thumb scanner malfunctioning. I'm guessing that the NBOME will need a couple of days to read through any complaints that get filed, so we probably won't receive scores until the 20th or 21st.

Took the test on the 18th. Still waiting for my scores. :eek: I was content with the wait. Now its eating at me as I see other people getting their scores.

I took the COMLEX on the 21st and still no score.
I took the USMLE on the 25th and got my score yesterday (and I'm happy:)).

ARG!